Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too soon to join a club?

• 25-08-2014 4:34pm

I took up running at the end of March. Prior to that I couldn't really run at all. It started with an 8 week beginners course, similar to the Couch to 5k but in a class setting. I loved it and I'm not sure I would have progressed without it.

So since then, I've been building up my distances. I've done a couple of parkruns, a 7.5km race, a 5 mile race, a couple of 10kms, and on Saturday I did the Warriors Run in Sligo (slowly). I'm currently following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 training plan for the Dublin half marathon in a few weeks time. I'm very slow. My half will take me over 2 hours.

I'm basically trying to figure out if I'm ready to join a club? On the one hand, I'm thinking it might help me to improve, and on the other I'm thinking I should improve before I start getting fancy ideas into my head about clubs and the likes.

So what stage have others joined clubs at?
    What can I expect from a club?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's never too soon to join a club. What time would you to 10KM in?

It's never too soon to join a club. What time would you to 10KM in?

My last race was a month ago and was 63mins. I may have improved slightly on that, but not much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You'd be fine, may depend on what groups clubs local to you provide. Where do you live/work? Many clubs will have fit4life groups - Donore have one which is really just a second womens group some would be that bit slower than the main ladies group but many are as fast or faster than the people at the slower end in the main womens group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Clubs typically have a huge range of standards, from 70 minute half marathoners to 3+ hours. You'll be a perfect fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

Others haven't answered your question though:

Here is my tuppence worth: You can expect coaching, support, advice, friendship, understanding, learning, improvement, craic, banter ..... and much more. You can also expect to find people of the same standard as yourself, equally committed to improvement. I doubt that clubs will chase after you for an annual subscription until you are going to keep it up. Minimum risk and minimum outlay from you. Get yourself to a club now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

I took up running at the end of March. Prior to that I couldn't really run at all. It started with an 8 week beginners course, similar to the Couch to 5k but in a class setting. I loved it and I'm not sure I would have progressed without it.

So since then, I've been building up my distances. I've done a couple of parkruns, a 7.5km race, a 5 mile race, a couple of 10kms, and on Saturday I did the Warriors Run in Sligo (slowly). I'm currently following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 training plan for the Dublin half marathon in a few weeks time. I'm very slow. My half will take me over 2 hours.

I'm basically trying to figure out if I'm ready to join a club? On the one hand, I'm thinking it might help me to improve, and on the other I'm thinking I should improve before I start getting fancy ideas into my head about clubs and the likes.

So what stage have others joined clubs at?

Best thing is to look at local race results and see what clubs have people doing similar times, are similar age demographic etc. basically thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Where are you based?

I would recommend club running as long as you pick the right club.

A few friends joined a club in Dublin that didn't suit as the club only had v quick runners. It not nice being the last one left behind.

My club has groups for all abilities. Post where you are based and you may get some recommendations. It's great running with a group, gives you a lot of motivation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Oh by the way you are not very slow. Your 10k is a great time and so is your half time that you are aiming to do!

Thanks for the replies, I am in South Dublin, I would be looking at Dundrum or Blackrock most likely. I really want to improve both my times and distances. I know very little about running, I was always a "lift something heavy" kinda girl so I think I'm at the point where I need a little more guidance. I have great friends who give me so much info and support, but I think a club might help too on a more long term basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Thanks for the replies, I am in South Dublin, I would be looking at Dundrum or Blackrock most likely. I really want to improve both my times and distances. I know very little about running, I was always a "lift something heavy" kinda girl so I think I'm at the point where I need a little more guidance. I have great friends who give me so much info and support, but I think a club might help too on a more long term basis.

On the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

A little bit of research on some of your extensive posts tell me that Blackrock AC ( dublin) would be the best club for you to join. They have a new adult meet and train section under the watchful eye of an experienced guy. It's a very buzzy club with a progressive attitude ( big kids club there as well) . Definitely join a club , it's the best way forward for all the reasons noted in previous posts

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

You may want to also consider the DSD Adult Meet & Train group, typical 10KM times range from 37 - 65 mins per their Adult Meet & Train group website. They do most of their running in Marlay Park, particularly in the summer months which may suit. You mention Park runs, you can usually catch a few of the DSD members at the Marlay Park runs for a chat if you want to learn more. Regardless of which club, joining a club is definitely the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

I got this email from Blackrock AC earlier this week.

Thanks for your previous interest in Blackrock A.C. Fit4life

The Fit4Life Section is holding an Open Week (Tuesday 2nd and Thursday 4th September) to allow joggers or runners t come along to try it out with no obligation. After a year in existence, the group has over 50 members and caters for total beginners up to those doing half or full marathon training. The majority of members are aiming to do a 5km or 10km run. If you have not found a club and would like to walk, jog or run in a friendly supportive group environment, feel free to come along on Tuesday or Thursday.

Advertisement