Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Flattish" trail running routes

Options
  • 19-08-2014 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest places or routes, preferably in South Dublin/North Wicklow, that are off-road but not too hilly (say <500m gain)? I still have a couple of 30km+ long runs before my marathon and I'm a bit tired of the Wicklow Way fire roads and roads, except the bits through native forests covered in pine needles. I just love those, e.g. just above Crone car park, just before Glendalough... I wouldn't mind a max of 4-5 loops to a shorter route either.

And please tell me of other areas if you know of any as I could be working on the other side of the country next week.

PD: I'd like to run St Kevin's Way (~30km) but can't work out transport on my own. If anyone is interested we could leave a car at each end. I could only do it on the morning of Friday 5th September (before my marathon, "anytime" after that) and I would aim at 11-11.5min/mile... PM if interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Have you been to Carrick Mountain, just outside Glenealy, it's beautiful mixed forest trails. "Flattish" might be stretching it a bit, but there are endless options, including plenty of routes that will keep the gradient reasonably gentle for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Dublin mountain way ? There's a lovely section between Johnny Foxes and the far end of Cruagh wood. There and back would probably amount to ~30k.

Here's a loop I did a couple of years ago which might also suit (Glendoo is a bit boggy so do it before the rain kicks in again) - http://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/2030911

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

wrstan wrote: »
    Have you been to Carrick Mountain, just outside Glenealy, it's beautiful mixed forest trails. "Flattish" might be stretching it a bit, but there are endless options, including plenty of routes that will keep the gradient reasonably gentle for the most part.

Here's the outer loop of Carrick, 2 laps including the run up and down to the GAA car pk is about 20, or you can cut across with endless single track and fire road options to avoid a 2nd lap.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/510638390

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Avondale and Roundwood are both flatish and lovely trail runs.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/499556351
    http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/449137606

Forestry park type trails. Lovely scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Thank you all for the suggestions. They all look very tempting! I'm sure I'll be running them all at some stage, starting this Thursday...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

You can do a nice run in the vale of clara, starting here 52.945564,-6.225961.

If you run along the river to the Church (52.967507,-6.260609) and back its 10k.

You can do a nice run in the vale of clara, starting here 52.945564,-6.225961.

If you run along the river to the Church (52.967507,-6.260609) and back its 10k.

Nice one, thanks! Keep'em coming now... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

inigo wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest places or routes, preferably in South Dublin/North Wicklow, that are off-road but not too hilly (say <500m gain)? I still have a couple of 30km+ long runs before my marathon and I'm a bit tired of the Wicklow Way fire roads and roads, except the bits through native forests covered in pine needles. I just love those, e.g. just above Crone car park, just before Glendalough... I wouldn't mind a max of 4-5 loops to a shorter route either.

And please tell me of other areas if you know of any as I could be working on the other side of the country next week.

PD: I'd like to run St Kevin's Way (~30km) but can't work out transport on my own. If anyone is interested we could leave a car at each end. I could only do it on the morning of Friday 5th September (before my marathon, "anytime" after that) and I would aim at 11-11.5min/mile... PM if interested.

You could do the (almost completely) flat 7km loop of the lower lake at Roundwood reservoir. If that's sounds like too many laps you can cross the road at the Roundwood end and run up to and across the dam on the upper lake to make it 9.9km (kinda cool up there now cause their filming Vikings on the lake) Best to check it out on a map first if you don't know the route. Basically every green gate you see is access to the trail. Parking available down by the waterworks. I did 2 long laps and one short last week to get my 27km in. Looking for another route for this Saturday.
    Would be interested in the Kevin's Way run at some stage, must check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

skittles11 wrote: »
    You could do the (almost completely) flat 7km loop of the lower lake at Roundwood reservoir. If that's sounds like too many laps you can cross the road at the Roundwood end and run up to and across the dam on the upper lake to make it 9.9km (kinda cool up there now cause their filming Vikings on the lake) Best to check it out on a map first if you don't know the route. Basically every green gate you see is access to the trail. Parking available down by the waterworks. I did 2 long laps and one short last week to get my 27km in. Looking for another route for this Saturday.

Sounds like the Reservoir Run 10k . Very float route and some nice views.

skittles11 wrote: »

Thanks, I did that last week. It was a nice run, flat and quiet. I saw all the signs and the security guys by the side of the road on my way to Roundwood. I was wondering what they were filming alright, as it looked like something big.

It looks like I won't be able to do St Kevins until the beginning of November. I could PM closer to the time if you wish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

inigo wrote: »
    It looks like I won't be able to do St Kevins until the beginning of November. I could PM closer to the time if you wish...

Yeah, go for it and if it suits I'll tag along.
    Cheers.

Advertisement