Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help needed. Adding a cigarette lighter to a mk5 Golf

Options
  • 14-08-2014 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on buying on of these QI wireless chargers for the car. I want to set it up over on the door side of the windscreen and I would prefer not have cables going all over the dash. What I was hoping to do and maybe someone here has done before is add an extra cigarette lighter to the fuse box and store it in that compartment leaving only a usb cable to trail out and up to my charger.

Is this the best way to go about it?, if so could someone point me in the direction of all the bits I need. As long as there's no soldering or splitting cables involved I should be able to do it no problem.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

whizbang wrote: »

How does that work exactly? Where do I connect that to? After some more research I was going to go with adding a add-a-circuit and a 12v lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

A cigarette lighter in the fusebox sounds too bulky and and awkward along with the adapter that plugs into the socket.

You mentioned a fusebox on the drivers side, so i would mount the usb socket up where the phone is going to be, and 12v wiring into the fusebox, same way as the socket would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

whizbang wrote: »
    A cigarette lighter in the fusebox sounds too bulky and and awkward along with the adapter that plugs into the socket.

You mentioned a fusebox on the drivers side, so i would mount the usb socket up where the phone is going to be, and 12v wiring into the fusebox, same way as the socket would

Theres lots of space in the fuse box compartment where I can place the cig lighter on top and probably secure it with some tape. I'm looking to have as little clutter as possible so to have only one cable coming out and up into the charger is what I'm looking for. Also there isn't a suitable place to add another cig lighter on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

Advertisement