Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs - A hypothetical

Options
  • 08-11-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

This is something that came up in convo during the week...........

Say I were to buy something of ebay or adverts from an somenoe living outside of Ireland but they had made the purchase in Ireland.

Say it was an Iphone that they had bought in Ireland (tax paid at time of purchase) had used it for a few months and then decided to sell it and I make an offer and buy it.

Can customs stop it getting to me and charge me duty on it even though it was aready paid at time of original purchase? What if the product was never used and still dealed in the box?

Is the onus on the customs to prove it is new and thus charge duty on it or is the onus on me to prove it has already been paid?

frAg

Advertisement