Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Country Criminal Records Check

Options
  • 21-03-2013 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm an Irish/Canadian citizen, currently living and (hopefully) looking to work in Canada. Some potential employers have requested an "Out of Country Criminal Records Name Check", from the time I was living in Dublin.

Anyone have any idea what one is? Or how to get one?

Important reiteration: I currently reside outside of Ireland, so going to an office in Dublin, Tipperary, or anywhere in Ireland is not really an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

you need to be vetted :
    Garda Central Vetting Unit/Garda Criminal Records Office
    Racecourse Road
    Thurles
    Co. Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lughtigern

You don't think the Irish Embassy in Canada would be able to do anything?

Is the Garda Vetting program not only for organisations that are already registered with it?
    Personnel who are subject to Garda Vetting will receive a Garda Vetting Application Form from the registered organisation where they are seeking a position.

If the company I'm applying for is not registered (which is possible, since they are in Canada), what other alternatives are there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lughtigern

Thank you, that is not an avenue I had considered.

I am not too sure about it though, since it says:
    You can only get a Police Certificate in certain circumstances. They are issued when required by Consular Authorities and foreign Adoptions Boards. For example, Police Certificates are often required before you can apply for a visa to visit or travel to other countries. They are not issued for employment or any other purpose

However, it contradicts itself at the end, saying it may be applicable if you are living abroad. I guess it's worth a shot..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 MartinLuther

I asked the Irish Embassy about getting a Police Certificate from the GS for an application for a visa for the RoK, especially as I have not been a resident in Ireland since 1983. I was directed to this link:http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/police_certificate.html where the process is outlined. Relatively straightforward, just takes some time. Not something you'd leave to the last minute, or expect to be done over the likes of Christmas holidays.

Advertisement