Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Focus tdci Glow Plug flashing and car juddering then died whats up?

• 02-08-2011 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I have a 03 Focus TDCI with 109k on the clock and yesterday all of a sudden the glow plug started to flash and the car was juddering mad and then I lost all power and car cut out.
    I then restarted it no bother and its been perfect since. Recently serviced too and was flying no hassle with it.
    What is the problem likely to be anyone else have it happen? Iv it booked in for Sat to get looked at anyway thinking of blanking the egr but that was planned before this happened.
    Thanks in advance
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

This is going to sound like me being a smart arse but maybe the glow plug?

I would fix the egr rather than blank it personally.

Hi I guess it could be the glow plug but having looked up the symptoms on net it seems it might be crankshaft sensor(I think it was!) or it could be the accelerator pedal needs replacing as it has some throttle sensor that wears over time built into it.
    I have already replaced the whole inlet manifold once on the car which has the egr on it and the smoking is back again so I cant afford to go replacing the inlet manifold again it was 500 i think and people have blanked the egr on other fords and it seemed to work stop the smoking under load.
    Gavman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

This is going to sound like me being a smart arse but maybe the glow plug?

I would fix the egr rather than blank it personally.

Its got nothing to do with the glow plug itself. The glow plug flashes to indicate that a fault has been logged with the ECU.

Could be any one of a number of things so its best to get a diagnostic done first to identify the fault. Do this as soon as you can as the ECU fault log is cleared after 20 start ups I think.

Common causes are egr alright and some of the sensors. Injector faults can also cause it.

Hi thanks for the replies. I have it booked in for Saturday already so I guess it will get the codes read then unless anyone is from Waterford that has a code reader I could use?? There is also meant to be away to display codes on the speedo I think using the trip button anyone done this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

This performs a instrument cluster self test and can display some basic fault codes but does not do a full engine scan. To properly scan the engine you will need a dedicated scanner.
    To enter the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode simultaneously press and hold the tripmeter reset button and turn the ignition switch to position II.
    When tESt is displayed in the LCD release the button.
    The instrument cluster will enter the gauge sweep test.
    To navigate through the Self-Diagnostic Mode tests press the tripmeter RESET button repeatedly as required.
    The self-test is deactivated when the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position or when the tripmeter reset button is pressed and held for 5 seconds.

Thanks for the info flying snail I might give that a try later and see what happens. Ill see if I can get hold of a scanner during the week too and if not will have to wait til saturday.

Advertisement