Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

my laptop keeps cutting out..

Options
  • 14-09-2007 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi All
    Just wondering if some one hear can help me,
    I bought a Compaq Presario v2000 range (2137ap)less that 2 yrs ago and I’ve had lots of trouble with it so im propably better off just getting rid of it and buying a new one but I cant afford that! So far ive had to replace the DVD drive twice and it still skips when I put in a dvd..
    I had to replace my hardrive a few months ago. The battery hasn’t worked in over a yr so I just plug it in whenever im using it, and I had to replace the power cable last week..
    Now my problem is my laptop keeps cutting out it gives me no notice it just cuts out, I can turn it straight back on it works fine again well until it cuts out again..
    I’m afraid it might be over heating and I may need to replace the fan..
    Ive tired to take the fan out but it looks like I will have to remove all the other hardware first?
    Does it sound likely that it could be a fan issue? And if so has any one any instructions on how to replace the fan or is there any diagnostic test that I can run to determine the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

I had similar problems with mine. Brought it to a repair place who said it was the mother board. They fixed it up, it ran for a couple of months, but then started the same craic again and is now dead.

The repair cost me about 200 euros - my advice would be to bin it or get a free quote on a repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Speedfan might work to monitor the temperatures but it sounds like you are spending alot of money on keeping it going. Might try pricing a new one I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,025 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

In the power options in control panel, if you set the profile for the laptop to max battery... this might throttle the cpu down and keep it cooler

notebook hardware control, also has options for underclocking a laptop cpu, or fixing it at its slowest speed, so it might be worth trying it out, seeing if you can get the laptop to run more reliably even if its not a proper fix

Also a laptop cooler with fans might also make a big differance if its a cooling problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 learoy

Thanks for the replies
    I took apart my laptop and cleaned the fan. It had a lot of dust in it, since I put it back together It is now working so quietly and the fan is no longer constantly on and it has stopped cutting out so hopefully that will keep it going for a while longer.
    Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement