Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vostro 1500 laptop

• 13-09-2007 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

These are the specs I just configured for a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop.
    Will be using it for some gaming.

BASE Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 Processor (2.0GHz,800MHz,4MB L2 cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional - English edit
    HARDWARE SUPPORT Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support edit
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™ edit
    INTEGRATED WEBCAM Matte Jet Black without Camera edit
    MEMORY 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024) edit
    HARD DRIVE 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive edit
    GRAPHICS CARD 256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr) edit
    Services & Software
    ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE SUPPORT No Accidental Damage Support edit
    SECURITY SOFTWARE No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English edit
    Accessories
    CARRY CASES No Carry Case edit
    BLUETOOTH Dell™ Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module (up to 3Mbps) with Enhanced Data Rate, for Vista edit
    WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-Card - Europe edit
    MICROSOFT SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English edit

All comes to about €950.

Is this de best value laptop around?
    Is there anything I should add or take away from de configuration?
    Is the internal bluetooth worth it or should I just get an external 1 if I ever need it

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It looks pretty good for the price. You could probably drop the bluetooth but you'd only save about €30 so I'd say keep it, it could come in handy.

What type of games will you be playing on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 garykeane121

At the moment I dont play a lot of games on my desktop except for Tiger Woods, the Sims and Call of Duty but when I get the laptop Ill probably buy more games for it

Would this laptop be able to handle most games?
    Also is the screen resolution ok or should I upgrade it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

At the moment I dont play a lot of games on my desktop except for Tiger Woods, the Sims and Call of Duty but when I get the laptop Ill probably buy more games for it

Would this laptop be able to handle most games?
    Also is the screen resolution ok or should I upgrade it?

It will handle those games no prob. Screen is fine.

I bought almost exact same spec as you for EUR845. My processor is 1.7 ghz though. Is this where the extra EUR100 is going on yours?

About the 9 cell battery. Check out some previous posts. On the 1500s a 9 cell battery will stick out the back a bit.

Only noticed now that the above specs had Windows XP.
    When I configured the same laptop today with Windows Vista Ultimate it comes to about €1010.
    Is this still worth it?
    Would I be safe enough with just a 1 year warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Just in case you aren't aware the Vostro is classed as a business laptop so the price you're getting doesn't include Vat and shipping, whereas the laptops under the home section are inclusive of vat and shipping.

• Advertisement

Ya I know. The €1010 includes the VAT and shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Only noticed now that the above specs had Windows XP.

Would I be safe enough with just a 1 year warranty

I asked a similar question in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055148772&referrerid=&highlight=
    It appears the accidental damage support is a lot more beneficial.

Advertisement