Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop DC Jack repair

• 07-09-2007 8:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know of a dublin based company that does laptop motherboard repairs, that wont rip me off. I've a fairly common issue with my laptop power and I need the jack repaired. I know i could do it myself but the laptop is worth a lot to me at the moment to risk destorying the m/b.

The laptop is a Compaq EVO N1020V.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Any takers on this, or has anyone links to tutorials to help me DIY it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Try these guys.

Tis a bit expensive ted, 195 plus VAT, 50 euros just to take a look.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We done this job recently for a chap.. we could probably try yours if you like? Tho, we are based in Waterford. Could possibly arrange a pickup?

Very good price, dont worry.
    Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Tis a bit expensive ted, 195 plus VAT, 50 euros just to take a look.

Of course its expensive, having looked at a few of these myself , the amount of time it can take just to get access to the dc connector on the motherboard can be quite a while as you have to practically dismantle the whole unit! Then as for even trying to fix it, you have to find a compareable connector, desolder the original and whatever other fixings are holding it in place, then resolder the replacement and thats assuming its even possible to find a replacement connector.
    If the connector is replaced I doubt they would offer any guaruntee with it as they are never as sturdy as the original ones, its a labourious process that can be worth it but it will more than likely be very expensive to carry out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Indeed some companies can charge an arm and a leg - its laborious and carries a risk of damage. However, not all connectors need to be replaced - some can be soldiered back on. The laptop completed recently had a connector that had become loose, and worked fine soldiered back.

Each case is different tho.
    majiktripp wrote:
    Of course its expensive, having looked at a few of these myself , the amount of time it can take just to get access to the dc connector on the motherboard can be quite a while as you have to practically dismantle the whole unit! Then as for even trying to fix it, you have to find a compareable connector, desolder the original and whatever other fixings are holding it in place, then resolder the replacement and thats assuming its even possible to find a replacement connector.
    If the connector is replaced I doubt they would offer any guaruntee with it as they are never as sturdy as the original ones, its a labourious process that can be worth it but it will more than likely be very expensive to carry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mcR

Theirs people on adverts.ie that can fix it or at least look at it for alot cheaper

Theirs one but theirs loads more if you look

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=9248&cat=38

Sully wrote:
    some can be soldiered back on.
    Each case is different tho.
    9 times out of ten if the laptops DC pin on the motherboard is damaged its because the power pin itself on the female connector is broken off, this cannot be repair or resoldered and would require a complete replacement of the part. In fact out of all the units we've seen (and we've seen quite the lot) none of them were repairable by resoldering the orignal connector.
    As you point out though, even the attempt to diagnose the problem and check the state of the damage carries its own risk of causing more harm as you have to take the whole unit apart more-a-less.

Its good to see someone else does motherboard jobs - I don't know many that will.
    majiktripp wrote:
    9 times out of ten if the laptops DC pin on the motherboard is damaged its because the power pin itself on the female connector is broken off, this cannot be repair or resoldered and would require a complete replacement of the part. In fact out of all the units we've seen (and we've seen quite the lot) none of them we're repairable be resoldering the orignal connector.
    As you point out though, even the attempt to diagnose the problem and check the state of the damage carries its own risk of causing more harm as you have to take the whole unit apart more-a-less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

Multitech computers on Parnell street (straight across the road from Mc D at back of Ilac) should be able to fix that , think it's only 50 euro to have a look but they will normally tell you there and then if possible

• Advertisement

Sully wrote:
    Its good to see someone else does motherboard jobs - I don't know many that will.
    LOL! I avoid them like the plague! Too much hassle (we only learned this after doing a few of them) as the customer expects it done for cheap (as its so simple...) and then expects the connection to be as rock solid as the day the laptop was bought which simply isn't possible.

majiktripp wrote:
    LOL! I avoid them like the plague! Too much hassle (we only learned this after doing a few of them) as the customer expects it done for cheap (as its so simple...) and then expects the connection to be as rock solid as the day the laptop was bought which simply isn't possible.

Looks like your experience proved right. Got the new power cable for that laptop we repaired and the connector which was solidered firmly on went again. Bloody pain.

http://www.doctorlaptop-repair-jack.com/ going to buy a new connector off these guys. wish me luck.

Advertisement