Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strangest thing you have seen running

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Went for an early morning run last Friday around the Science Park in Valencia and found a smashed coconut on the ground just after passing under one of the bridges overhead.

Was thinking either it fell from someones shopping bag or someone was just in the mood for smashing coconuts at some point overnight, still a strange sight in a city centre park.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 chrissymc

Maybe he couldnt afford the fancy running clothes especially after paying the entry fee, or he left his running gear on the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

People dogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

On my long run at stupid o'clock yesterday and saw a cat and a rat walking across the road side by side as if best of buds. The animals are plotting against us methinks:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Normally I don't see anything unusual but today I got 2 oddities in rapid succession, both around Sandymount. The first was a woman raking a random part of the beach (!). Soon after, on the promenade, a guy on a skateboard came flying by being towed by a labrador. He must have been doing around 6 min / mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Speaking of Sandymount strand......
    Saw this yesterday: a well dressed woman, walking around with a metal detector, a digging kit (small shovel, trowel etc) and a bag of sand covered junk.

Either she is an extreme neat freak (digging to clean) or some sort of weird hoarder! The thought of her house as a hoarder entertained me all the way to merrion gates; I had the Channel 4 documentary scripted and all! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

In the Phoenix Park during the Race Series Half Marathon a couple of years ago, I nipped into the trees for a natural break and almost stumbled on some lad dropping a number two behind a tree with his mate watching him (both runners).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kinda odd,

Few weeks back I was running through town at 6am, not a soul around..... Except for two crows rolling around in the middle of the road fighting each over.

Above them atleast 200 crows were flying around in a circle going nuts!

I ran underneath the circling crows... Felt like a scene from the movie the birds, abit unnerving in away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Cabaal wrote: »
    Kinda odd,

Few weeks back I was running through town at 6am, not a soul around..... Except for two crows rolling around in the middle of the road fighting each over.

Above them atleast 200 crows were flying around in a circle going nuts!

I ran underneath the circling crows... Felt like a scene from the movie the birds, abit unnerving in away

It was attempted murder.

I shall get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

crisco10 wrote: »
    Speaking of Sandymount strand......
    Saw this yesterday: a well dressed woman, walking around with a metal detector, a digging kit (small shovel, trowel etc) and a bag of sand covered junk.

Could have been the same lady I saw the day before...

There's clearly something in the water in Sandymount this week. Today on my cycle home I saw a respectably dressed gent drawing a fairly large WW2 German military insignia, complete with Swastika, on the sand, using the point of his umbrella. It was a bit like this...

heerfieldgreytuniceagle.jpg

It was a very odd and disconcerting thing to see someone doing. I should really have stopped and remonstrated but I'm not one for confrontations...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Maybe they actually built the incinerator down there and it is slowly driving everyone batsh!t crazy..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

there is some kind of art exhibition going on on Sandymount strand which would explain all these things (apart from the skateboard thing). I was out one morning a couple of weeks ago and there was a giant Brigid's Cross made out of what looked like pallets out on the sand. On my way back it was being collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭plodder

A good few weeks ago, I was out on the by roads of North county Dublin, and was passed by a tractor pulling a trailer filled with bananas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's a Fyffes in Swords, not sure if it's one of their warehouses but it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PaddyOisin

Stopped in the trees in the Phoenix Park for a comfort break. Looked down and there was a full-sized badger standing beside me. I don't know who got the bigger fright. I started remembering all the stories of badgers never letting go when they bite...................

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭plodder

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There's a Fyffes in Swords, not sure if it's one of their warehouses but it might be.
    It was over nearer St Margarets, where Donnelly's (fruit) are. Either way I hope they weren't destined for the human food-chain, the way they were piled up..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Ooh, I remembered another one! Don't actually know how I forgot about this.

On another long run around Roundwood reservoir I turned a corner to see a couple out walking their dog and their pet deer!! Weird enough? No? The deer was eating a banana!!

I've since seen said deer in the company of said couple and I believe they found it as an injured fawn and nursed it back to health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

I was on the final mile of a jog earlier in the week along the docks in Cork and came across a dude sitting on the edge strumming a guitar & singing. Cause I was running into the sun didn't notice the other guy who photographing him like crazy so guess I stumbled onto an album/single shoot for somebody! Hopefully I don't appear in any of the pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

opus wrote: »
    I was on the final mile of a jog earlier in the week along the docks in Cork and came across a dude sitting on the edge strumming a guitar & singing. Cause I was running into the sun didn't notice the other guy who photographing him like crazy so guess I stumbled onto an album/single shoot for somebody! Hopefully I don't appear in any of the pics :)

If it goes well for him you could demand royalties..

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

i was passing the running track in kilcock one day in the rain and there was a woman running around the track while holding an umbrella.. she was still getting soaked regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

opus wrote: »

That triggered a memory of mine from a few years ago. Was doing one of my usual training runs in the Dublin hills on a winter night. When I got to the forest entrance barrier at Tibradden (Where zip-it is now) there was a lad playing a guitar and singing away, lit up by his camera lights. He was all on his own though. Must have been making a music video for himself or something, but it seemed like an odd choice of time and location (in the dark he could have been anywhere, but he had to have gone a long way out of his way to get to that particular spot).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I saw a fox trotting up a hill from the Quay in Dublin this week on one of my runs. At first I thought it was a cat but then did a double take. It was too dark to take a photo, but the fox just casually jogged up the hill (I was headed down). I've seen foxed in Stephen's Green but never on a street like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I saw a fox trotting up a hill from the Quay in Dublin this week on one of my runs. At first I thought it was a cat but then did a double take. It was too dark to take a photo, but the fox just casually jogged up the hill (I was headed down). I've seen foxed in Stephen's Green but never on a street like that!

They say the more normal the hour you see a fox the more desperate they are for food. Unless you were running at 3am ;)

Last winter I was running in the evening and it was lashing rain. I nearly put my foot down on what I thought was a leaf but when I looked again I saw it was a frog! I nearly broke my ankle trying to change where i planted my trotter in the last second lol

A few weeks ago I came across a spider. ..massive big thing in the middle of the path...no joke. .I actually ran around it!!! :o

They say the more normal the hour you see a fox the more desperate they are for food. Unless you were running at 3am ;)

Last winter I was running in the evening and it was lashing rain. I nearly put my foot down on what I thought was a leaf but when I looked again I saw it was a frog! I nearly broke my ankle trying to change where i planted my trotter in the last second lol

A few weeks ago I came across a spider. ..massive big thing in the middle of the path...no joke. .I actually ran around it!!! :o

It was just after 6am. Is that a normal hour? :P

If I saw a massive spider I'd run the opposite direction!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

noel-4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

No it's not a normal hour, unless you talk to Career move or Tom J. 6 a m is the time you look at the clock, say thank God it's not 7.30 and roll over.

According to my 3 year old its the middle of the day ;)

Maybe that's what I need. ..someone in a giant spider outfit chasing me....id storm passed everyone else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

According to my 3 year old its the middle of the day ;)

Maybe that's what I need. ..someone in a giant spider outfit chasing me....id storm passed everyone else :D

something like this?

Emer911 wrote: »
    something like this?

Hahaa...im so bad I can't even click on the link

• Advertisement

Hahaa...im so bad I can't even click on the link

Same here!

Advertisement