Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Started running again - Need advice

Options
  • 06-06-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭

After a long break from running I am back at it again.

I try to run 5km 5 days a week and have been doing it for the last 3 weeks. Should I try and reduce time taken to run it or increase the distance?

I am managing 26 minutes and don't feel too bad after the run.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Xcellor wrote: »
    After a long break from running I am back at it again.

I try to run 5km 5 days a week and have been doing it for the last 3 weeks. Should I try and reduce time taken to run it or increase the distance?

I am managing 26 minutes and don't feel too bad after the run.

Your own body and mind would be the best judge. It would depend on what you want to do, and maybe your previous schedule and run times and distances? Just stay fit, or prepare for a specific race distance? 5 k runs 5 times a week would be fairly good activity to keep one generally active and fit. All depends on your body (age/weight/general fitness levels) and your goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Should I try and reduce time taken to run it or increase the distance?

Once a week go faster, once a week go longer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

RayCun wrote: »
    Once a week go faster, once a week go longer

OK good idea. What would be a good time to try and work towards. I don't want to be unrealistic?

I have a couple of routes worked out that go so next week I will probably try a 6KM see how I get on with that.

walshb wrote: »
    Your own body and mind would be the best judge. It would depend on what you want to do, and maybe your previous schedule and run times and distances? Just stay fit, or prepare for a specific race distance? 5 k runs 5 times a week would be fairly good activity to keep one generally active and fit. All depends on your body (age/weight/general fitness levels) and your goals.

I've found even in the short while I've been running the mind has much more impact on my performance/fatigue. Positive mindset = Overall better results. Negative mindset = Seem to feel more fatigue.

I am running to stay fit and counter my rather stationary type of job. I would like to enter a 10km so that would be a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I've found even in the short while I've been running the mind has much more impact on my performance/fatigue. Positive mindset = Overall better results. Negative mindset = Seem to feel more fatigue.

I am running to stay fit and counter my rather stationary type of job. I would like to enter a 10km so that would be a goal.

Well, your activity level so far is very good in comparison to a lot of the population. Raycun's advice is spot on. Every so often push yourself to a point of hurt. Not too much. Analyse this, and increase or decrease accordingly. If you are not a fast kind of person, or haven't got a naturally good stamina base, then there is little point in trying to change this too much. Listen to your body. If entering a 10 k race you may need to step up the distance, failing this, you could still complete 10 k, it may just be slower 5 k splits. 30 minutes or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

OK good idea. What would be a good time to try and work towards. I don't want to be unrealistic?

Don't set limits on yourself either. Pick a race or a parkrun for your fast 5k, and go as fast as you can, find out what that is. Try again a month later and beat that time.
    On your one faster run a week, you don't have to do the whole run fast. Set yourself intervals - between lampposts, around pitches, certain roads - where you will run fast, and others for recovery.

Or just join a club

Just to update the thread. I've been keeping up the running and can now run 5km without any major issue. Still working on getting my speed up.

My stretch distance has increased to 16KM but I do find that tough the last 4 KM being a real battle of mind over matter... But overall I'm pleased with my progress and would encourage anyone saying they "could never run 5km" to keep at it. It's achievable and with a bit of discipline.

I've just joined the gym because I want to tone my upper body. Is there anything I should be aware of as a runner? I'm wanting to concentrate on weights in the gym but keep my running outside the gym, running machines don't really do it for me

Cheers.
    X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Just to update the thread. I've been keeping up the running and can now run 5km without any major issue. Still working on getting my speed up.

My stretch distance has increased to 16KM but I do find that tough the last 4 KM being a real battle of mind over matter... But overall I'm pleased with my progress and would encourage anyone saying they "could never run 5km" to keep at it. It's achievable and with a bit of discipline.

I've just joined the gym because I want to tone my upper body. Is there anything I should be aware of as a runner? I'm wanting to concentrate on weights in the gym but keep my running outside the gym, running machines don't really do it for me

Cheers.
    X

I don't know much about gym training for long distance but I would recommend core work in the gym mostly ,with doing weights it can burn out your legs quickly which is something I remember happening to me all the time when I competed cross country.
    If you kept them light maybe just to activate the muscles and train the motor muscles.
    But core work on say trx ,roman chair stuff like leg raises,knee raises,knee tucks. And kettebell squats and swings done to higher reps would help by building your muscle endurance. The core would stop your form and posture from breaking down as quickly(reaching that point where your upper body flaps around like a fish out of water much slower which is always good) which helps in maintaining momentum and running efficently. If you did a circuit style workout of it then you'd be set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I agree with Emc; I am doing core work and weights myself with a PT to help my running. I'm doing weights to strengthen my back and tone my upper arms, which in turn will help me be a better runner, and also doing pilates/core work which after two months already improved my running form and posture.

As for increasing distance, I've usually been told to increase it no more than 10% at a time and to alternate with speed work. So I might do a faster run or fartleks once a week and a longer run once a week along with my usual distance/times.

Advertisement