Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to repeat my leaving cert!

Options
  • 19-08-2014 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there, so I did my leaving cert last year and really wasnt happy with the points I got (only myself to blame) but I feel I can achieve more if I actually tried, and I want to repeat it. Does anyone know of any way I can do this at home? For example e-learning or even just studying by myself? I know I'd have to go to an exam centre for the actual exams but I was just wondering if theres any way I can learn from home as I have a job now and cant attend school? Also, do I have to repeat ALL subjects?
    Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

You can repeat externally, as in you can study at home and just sit your exams in a centre next June.
    You don't have to repeat certain subjects if you're only using them for matriculation requirements e.g. if you only need OD3 in maths and you got that this year, you don't have to repeat maths unless you want to count it for points.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,132 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are some subjects you can't do without the supervision of a teacher (History, Geography etc. the subjects that there is a project element to), but you might be able to organise something with your old school.
    Otherwise apply as an external candidate in January. The fee is higher as you are a repeat student.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

CaoimheB wrote: »
    Hi there, so I did my leaving cert last year and really wasnt happy with the points I got (only myself to blame) but I feel I can achieve more if I actually tried, and I want to repeat it. Does anyone know of any way I can do this at home? For example e-learning or even just studying by myself? I know I'd have to go to an exam centre for the actual exams but I was just wondering if theres any way I can learn from home as I have a job now and cant attend school? Also, do I have to repeat ALL subjects?
    Thank you :)

Research what course you want to do- most will take matriculation requirements from multiple years (ie you won't need to resit Irish/eng/math if you don't want to)

But some (like medicine) require all matric in one sitting

As regard re sitting externally- it all depends on you! Ask yourself Are you disciplined enough to study independently and do you have reliable people to help you when stuck?

Many grind schools do evening classes which may give a bit of structure (but are expensive)- some VEC's run leaving certs as well which can be a good resource.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

One thing, you obviously must be working a lot of hours in your job if it will prevent you from attending school. The Leaving is very much a full time job. (Probably more one and a half times a full time job when I compare the hours I work now to what I worked then.) Working at the weekends and going to training a couple of nights a week doesn't have to seriously impact your study if you're disciplined. However, if you're dedicating many hours to work every week, you might be wasting your time repeating and causing yourself unnecessary stress unless you plan on cutting out sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RosiexoPosie

Do answer your one of your questions , repeating from home is not a great idea its hard to keep motivated I know from repeating Irish at home to do primary teaching.But if your really motivated I believe Kilroy College do online courses around 300 euro per subject.Its also worth considering places like Plunkett College if you live near Dublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement