Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question.

Options
  • 31-07-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭

1st I have searched old topics but couldn't really find the correct answer, but has given be a better idea.

I have a car with 3 years no claims full license with my dad as a named driver.
    My girlfriend is buying a car but her insurance quote are huge.
    We where thinking if I buy the car in my name insure it and put her on as a named driver, I know I can't use my no claims bonus, but its still half the price.

If I have an accident or she does, does that have any effect on my own policy with my 3 year no claims?

Also I under stand insurable interest as in I must lose to insure etc, this year I would probably be the main driver while she learns, does that mean I could insure the car, even if car not under my name.

Hope that makes sense, hope someone can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Rochey18 wrote: »
    1st I have searched old topics but couldn't really find the correct answer, but has given be a better idea.

We where thinking if I buy the car in my name insure it and put her on as a named driver, I know I can't use my no claims bonus, but its still half the price.

If I have an accident or she does, does that have any effect on my own policy with my 3 year no claims?

Also I under stand insurable interest as in I must lose to insure etc, this year I would probably be the main driver while she learns, does that mean I could insure the car, even if car not under my name.

Generally I think it would work OK.
    I'm not sure thought, how could it affect your first policy's NCB, if she or you crashed that car. But maybe there would be no effect.
    My wife (which was a named driver on my policy) had an accident in my car, and it didn't affect her own policy.

It's genereal practice with insurers, that you can insure a car which is registered in your spouse's or partner's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Suppose my best bet is to ring an insurance company and ask?
    Its such a shady area in Ireland, seems like if you ask 3 people you will get 3 different answers ha.

Thanks for your help, I thought that it was ok to insure your partners car, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is shes a named driver on your policy and she crashes the car your no claims gets affected, believe me i know :(

Vicxas wrote: »
    Is shes a named driver on your policy and she crashes the car your no claims gets affected, believe me i know :(

But OP wasn't asking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I may be wrong here but I'm pretty sure you cant be main driver on a vehicle you don't own.

if you were able to have the GF on a policy with you as the named driver and you or her crashes ...the no claims on the policy is gone !! (assuming there is a claim put through insurance)

Some insurance companies have a "step-back" policy ...so you only loose 2yrs no-claims if you claim.

• Advertisement

Ok this is making me even more confused ha.

Policy 1 - My car, with only me as the main driver 3 years no claims bonus.
    Policy 2 - GF car, with me as main driver, her named driver, Zero no claims.

So if she crashes or me on policy 2, does that have any effect on policy 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ok this is making me even more confused ha.

Policy 1 - My car, with only me as the main driver 3 years no claims bonus.
    Policy 2 - GF car, with me as main driver, her named driver, Zero no claims.

So if she crashes or me on policy 2, does that have any effect on policy 1?

It wont have an effect on your NCB on your own car as it is a seperate policy however if a claim is made it will have to be disclosed when getting quotes on your other policy.Depending on the type of claim it may jeopardise your ability to get quotes if the claim is outstanding etc.

It will be illegal for you to get a policy in your name on this car if she is the registered owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

Don't even go down that road of trying to save her money, because at the end of the day she might cost you something. Since your not married why would you risk having your own insurance go up in the future? This girl could walk at any time and what happens if she crashes and then leaves you? Do you think this is a wise move? She should sort herself out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Her quote is high for a reason.

Honestly I think people that take out insurance on anothers behalf are mental.

What would you do if she rams into someone, causes 20k in damage and you lose your no claims bonus ?

Especially with Family, would not risk it at all, EVER.

Your not providing some kind of discount voucher, YOU as the main policy holder are taking out an Insurance Policy and allowing someone else to drive on it.

Wouldn't do it for the Wife Either, if I lost my NCB I couldn't afford to run my car.

Her quote is high for a reason.

Honestly I think people that take out insurance on anothers behalf are mental.

What would you do if she rams into someone, causes 20k in damage and you lose your no claims bonus ?

Especially with Family, would not risk it at all, EVER.

Your not providing some kind of discount voucher, YOU as the main policy holder are taking out an Insurance Policy and allowing someone else to drive on it.

Wouldn't do it for the Wife Either, if I lost my NCB I couldn't afford to run my car.
    needadvi wrote: »
    Don't even go down that road of trying to save her money, because at the end of the day she might cost you something. Since your not married why would you risk having your own insurance go up in the future? This girl could walk at any time and what happens if she crashes and then leaves you? Do you think this is a wise move? She should sort herself out!

Some people might value their girlfriend a bit more than their NCB.

Besides - in case OP described, he won't loose NCB on his first policy, as it will be only his second policy affected.

• Advertisement

It will be illegal for you to get a policy in your name on this car if she is the registered owner.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is the usual ****e spouted by the vultures. Registered owner means diddly squat.

CiniO wrote: »
    Why?

Insurance is protecting yourself in the event of a loss to get yourself back into the same financial position you were in prior to suffering the loss.

eg - you write off your car,insurance covers you to replace it so you dont have to buy a replacement car out of your own pocket.

You have to have what is known as an insurable interest to insure something,in simple terms an insurable interest means you have bought the car/house or whatever you are insuring.

You cannot profit from insurance,claiming on something that you did not buy means you will profit from it - a claim.

It is the usual ****e spouted by the vultures. Registered owner means diddly squat.

:rolleyes:

Aye,good man,sure insurance companies are faceless billion euro companies that exist purely to screw people out of their hard owned money.

Gimme a break and ease up on the tired rhetoric,its in no way helpful to the OP.

Go onto a couple of websites and try and get a quote putting in that you arent the registered owner,see how far you get.

Go onto a couple of websites and try and get a quote putting in that you arent the registered owner,see how far you get.

It took me less than 30 seconds.
    Aviva website.
    While obtaining the quote, you have to agree to the assumpitons.
    Here's one of them
    IYour car

Is owned and mainly driven by you or your spouse/partner

This was the case with all insurers I was with in Ireland so far.
    Can can be registered on my name, or my spouse/partners name. Doesn't make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

aviva car policy spouse/partner definition - must live at same address and share financial responsibilities.

I guarantee if the OP went ahead with that and ticked the assumptions (and it would be accepting it on the loosest possible definition too btw) and a claim occurred it would be thrown out.

Sure what would stop anyone insuring their girlfriends/boyfriends car in their own name if that was the case?There are terms and conditions as pippip out lined above.

Even suggesting that kind of crap to the OP is ridiculous.

I guarantee if the OP went ahead with that and ticked the assumptions (and it would be accepting it on the loosest possible definition too btw) and a claim occurred it would be thrown out.

Sure what would stop anyone insuring their girlfriends/boyfriends car in their own name if that was the case?There are terms and conditions as pippip out lined above.

But that's generally normal that you live at the same address with your partner/spouse.

Beside you asked what would stop anyone insuring their gf/bf's car in their own name?

Two things generally.
    First of all in most cases you would have to tell the who will be the main driver of the car (in most cases it would be girlfriend/boyfriend of the insured, and then it would affect premium a lot). In OP's case he said he would be the main driver - so no problems with that.
    Secondly, in most cases the whole thing wouldn't be worth it at all, as girlfriend/boyfriend usually can obtain insurance cheaper on it's own. In OP's case actually this is not the case.

Thanks all for your help. Such a messy thing to do, sounds like the best thing is too fork out the extra... over a grand extra yikes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Can you clarify something for me? Are you the insured with your dad as a named driver, or are you a driver on a policy your dad has taken out. If the latter is the case, then it is his No Claim Bonus to lose, not yours (on that policy). If you went to take out a new policy, it would be an introductory Bonus you possess which is at stake. This may or may not add up to 3 years.

The other point I would make is that a girlfriend is not a partner/spouse, there must be joint residency

Policy in my name with my dad as a named driver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement