Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange job approach

Options
  • 18-11-2010 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok going unreg for this.

I recently went for an interview for a job in marketing and I am still mulling over it. Let me explain. I went to the company, filled out a form, had copy of my cv and this was passed to a 'manager' and I was interviewed at length. There were other people in the reception filling out forms and being interviewed by other 'managers'.

Then I got a call back for a second interview and a 'field test'. I went down in the morning and travelled out with a few others ( we had to pay our own bus fares, something I wasn't made aware of and luckily I had some money on me, another girl said she was short of cash and she was hoping to get the job and not waste her money ) and we went 'cold calling' to a number of houses. The weather was appalling. I was tested by a 'team leader' on what I heard and saw. Then I was told to go back to the office where I would be interviewed. I went back on my own, and then filled out yet another form. There were other people waiting to be interviewed.

I met yet another 'manager' from this company and was interviewed by him. He asked me lots of questions, told me stuff about the company. He then told me that they had filled the two positions they were looking to fill and then he ('surprise!!') tells me that because of how I got on and the reports back about me from the team leader, that they 'opened' another position especially for me, in other words, I got the job!

Here's the thing, I thought that it was really strange that they should open another vacancy even if it was for me, when all they had was two???!!! I am really puzzled at that and felt it was not completely the truth. I thought the job was built up as a glamorous type job, with 'managerial potential' and was baited with stories of others success's and was even asked to rate, the 'team leader' whether they were motivated or not.

The other issue I have is this, although I would be 'employed' by them, I would really be self-employed and would have to fill out tax returns etc. It is a commission based job. Yet they made a lot of fuss and drama about it.

I am in a bit of a dilemma as I do not know whether I should start with them or not. I don't know what to think about this. Has anyone else had the same or similar experience??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It wouldn't be unheard of for a company to create new position for someone based on what they think that person can do. A friend of mine has had 2 jobs that were somewhat created to suit him. The first of those fell through sort of quickly (though it was in 2009 and in the construction business) and the 2nd he's still doing.

As a commission based job, and you effectively being contracted to the company, it's not going to cost them much. You'll basically have to create the work yourself, otherwise it'll disappear. That would be my take on this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ok going unreg for this.

I recently went for an interview for a job in marketing and I am still mulling over it. Let me explain. I went to the company, filled out a form, had copy of my cv and this was passed to a 'manager' and I was interviewed at length. There were other people in the reception filling out forms and being interviewed by other 'managers'.

Then I got a call back for a second interview and a 'field test'. I went down in the morning and travelled out with a few others ( we had to pay our own bus fares, something I wasn't made aware of and luckily I had some money on me, another girl said she was short of cash and she was hoping to get the job and not waste her money ) and we went 'cold calling' to a number of houses. The weather was appalling. I was tested by a 'team leader' on what I heard and saw. Then I was told to go back to the office where I would be interviewed. I went back on my own, and then filled out yet another form. There were other people waiting to be interviewed.

I met yet another 'manager' from this company and was interviewed by him. He asked me lots of questions, told me stuff about the company. He then told me that they had filled the two positions they were looking to fill and then he ('surprise!!') tells me that because of how I got on and the reports back about me from the team leader, that they 'opened' another position especially for me, in other words, I got the job!

Here's the thing, I thought that it was really strange that they should open another vacancy even if it was for me, when all they had was two???!!! I am really puzzled at that and felt it was not completely the truth. I thought the job was built up as a glamorous type job, with 'managerial potential' and was baited with stories of others success's and was even asked to rate, the 'team leader' whether they were motivated or not.

The other issue I have is this, although I would be 'employed' by them, I would really be self-employed and would have to fill out tax returns etc. It is a commission based job. Yet they made a lot of fuss and drama about it.

I am in a bit of a dilemma as I do not know whether I should start with them or not. I don't know what to think about this. Has anyone else had the same or similar experience??

Thanks

Now ...read this as if someone else wrote it. Pretend you're reading it from the comfortable position of having a good job and not being desperate.
    Let those keywords like own bus fare, commission, self-employed, rate your team leader and the "special position" just for you roll over your tongue once more.

Did that?

Got a fishy taste in your mouth?

Good man (woman) !

This is nothing but a pyramid scheme con-job ...don't waste another minute of your time (and not another cent of your money either) on it ...forget it ...you deserve better ...everyone does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

the words protea, cobra, roar, impala spring to mind. the interview wouldn't have happened above a polish food market would it??? :rolleyes:

have a look here OP - I think this will answer your questions:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was roped in to one of these schemes when I was 16 years ago,the worst job experience of my life!!!It is a complete scam!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

chappy wrote: »
    RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

• Advertisement
Advertisement