Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackeral fishing

Options
  • 22-07-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Any mackeral being caught from the shore yet in Galway or is it too early. Missed last few years and hope to get out this year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

They were being caught from the Docks and a few from Nimmo's Pier a few weeks back, not in big numbers. Not sure if they are still about but I'm guessing they might be as I've seen a few people down that way in the last week. Give it a few weeks when they come in big shoals and will be packed as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Mackeral, no. Mackarel, maybe.

Soz, couldn't resist... :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Esel wrote: »
    Mackeral, no. Mackarel, maybe.

Mackarel, no. Mackerel, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

J o e wrote: »
    Mackarel, no. Mackerel, maybe.

Ha, ha, ha!

But back on topic - yes I heard there was good numbers in in recent weeks so they're in fairly early this year and also notably larger than the last couple of years. I haven't been down myself yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

Been fishing at Nimmo's and the back of the docks at least once a week. Caught one mackerel in June and nothing since. Tried feathers and spinning. I don't think they're in yet.

One of my colleagues was down in Nimmo's for a walk about 2 weeks ago and the place was hopping with them, must be a bit hit or miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

One of my colleagues was down in Nimmo's for a walk about 2 weeks ago and the place was hopping with them, must be a bit hit or miss.

I wouldn't be the luckiest of fishermen it has to be said!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

You often get some in early then they disappear again for a few weeks.

Advertisement