Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foal killed in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Thats a load of rubbish, they are just cruel bad minded little bastards.

Being kind to other living creatures is something that you have in you, not something that you have to learn.
    It's not something you have in you, it's conditioned into you. There are plenty of cases going back to ancient times of all sorts of cruelty, for the most part of history humans saw animals as something the gods left to them to do with as they wished, depending on the culture. The most respectful groups tended to be hunter gather groups that have the most direct contact with wild animals. Once humans get into a large community and have people supplying them with meat they tend to lose respect for the animals that feed them.

People tend to forget we're animals and we're prone to all sorts of animal behaviour, we also tend to accept what we're told. If people are brought up to be cruel they tend to stay that way and alienating them further isn't going to change their behaviour, it's just going to make them worse.
    the_monkey wrote: »
    Solution is simple, pay this sub human scum not to have kids ... everyone is a winner, the filth get their money for drink/drugs .... no next generation of scum harming innocents .
    All we have to do is start a scumbag identification program where we can label undesirables as scum and then I guess sterilise them would be the only way to make sure. Something like the Australian and American government did to the native populations of their countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Stop making excuses for them.

You don't know did society "do" anything to them.

Lot of people had a hard life, they don't go around killing animals.

These kids are a product of their environment. It is the way that they are brought up. Kids mirror their parents.

Segregation then is a big factor. The fact that we discriminate them because of their status, leads them down a route to crime.

When i was working in ballybane, every day i saw the same kids loitering around, bored stiff and looking for trouble, because they had nothing to do.

The best way to minimize this is to educate kids

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Roquentin wrote: »
    Segregation then is a big factor. The fact that we discriminate them because of their status, leads them down a route to crime.
    How does society discriminate against scumbags by giving them free education, money and housing for life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Was it set on fire before or after it was dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Was it set on fire before or after it was dead?
    Probably after but who knows.

I still think that an owner that doesn't care about the welfare of their animal probably did see them as being worth money so it wouldn't surprise me if these kids got a beating for what they did. It may be one thing to throw stones at the horse but by killing it someone could be down a few hundred euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

These kids are a product of their environment. It is the way that they are brought up. Kids mirror their parents.

When i was working in ballybane, every day i saw the same kids loitering around, bored stiff and looking for trouble, because they had nothing to do.

The best way to minimize this is to educate kids

And do you think they want to be educated?

Do you think teachers have not already tried to get through to them?

You can't help people who don't want to make things better for themselves.

And to be honest people who do that to an animal could just as easily hurt a person who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Jail time is what they need.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    How does society discriminate against scumbags by giving them free education, money and housing for life?

They are not being educated thats the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Let's get a petition going, even an online one. We have to do something or we are not helping these poor animals.

I don't live in Galway (I'm on the Mayo/Galway border) but I've a Daughter, Grandchildren and Greatgrandchildren who do, so count me in.

This sort of behaviour has to stop.

And do you think they want to be educated?

Do you think teachers have not already tried to get through to them?

You can't help people who don't want to make things better for themselves.

And to be honest people who do that to an animal could just as easily hurt a person who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Jail time is what they need.

I agree they need to put in jail alright to curb it. But you have to remember these are kids, who know no better other than being kids. You want to blame someone, blame the parents.

The parents should be making them go to school and the schools should not be discriminating. There is more than one element to the jigsaw.

The government should be pushing the parents hard to make sure they go to school. Thats how you would solve it. Education said mandela is a powerful weapon.

All i see is a cycle with these families (not all of them). The parents treat the kids bad, the kids turn out bad and when they grow up they treat their own kids bad and on and on we go.

I don't live in Galway (I'm on the Mayo/Galway border) but I've a Daughter, Grandchildren and Greatgrandchildren who do, so count me in.

This sort of behaviour has to stop.

you can start a petition on care2.com.

Il sign and get everyone i know to as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Thats a load of rubbish, they are just cruel bad minded little bastards.

Being kind to other living creatures is something that you have in you, not something that you have to learn.

To some extent I agree with you, but "Monkey see, Monkey do" also applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sure a lot of these horses on open land are owned by Travellers, but I can tell you plenty of settled people do it too.

Plenty of youngsters in Dublin with horses on inadequate land who come from 'settled' families.

Someone asked how we were discriminating against 'them' - well here is just one example in our assumptions.

If there is an issue with educating these kids, no matter whether settled or traveller then that is the issue. There is a higher incidence of lack of education structures in some groups granted.

Horrible thing to have happen. I understand the gut reactions from people, but we have to think longer term.

They are not being educated thats the problem
    Discriminating against yourself isn't really discrimination.
    They are offered an education. They don't want it. They are offered houses. They don't want them.

Discriminating against yourself isn't really discrimination.
    They are offered an education. They don't want it. They are offered houses. They don't want them.

Its a two way street.

The parents should be by law putting them in school and also the parents should be teaching them respect.

But there are also schools that reject them outright because they are travellers. You always have a certain school they have to go to.

Them two things and more, feed the system.

I look at some travellers who are so well able to talk and have such good people skills and i think if only they were educated they would go far.

I remember one older traveller who was very smart and telling young traveller kids to be smart, stay in school and stay out of trouble. And they dont listen.

The government should be forcing them to be in school. The cycle will just continue.

Its a two way street.

The parents should be by law putting them in school and also the parents should be teaching them respect.

But there are also schools that reject them outright because they are travellers. You always have a certain school they have to go to.
    No, there isn't. This is simply false.
    Also, parents are required, by law, to send their children to school (aaand we're back to unenforced laws again...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If the council had any balls here's what they should do: horses have to be chipped so round up all the stray ones, check them for microchips. The owners of the chipped ones to be prosecuted for letting the horses wander. The non chipped ones to be shot on the spot and the carcasses destroyed. It may sound cruel but a headshot will have the horse dead on the ground before it has even heard the shot and saves it from further abuse and neglect that will lead to an early painful death anyway. If the so called owners decide to protest and have go at officials carrying out the clean up any amount of baton and pepper spray should be their reward.

The non chipped ones to be shot on the spot and the carcasses destroyed.
    Ah come on now. They could at least ship the horse off somewhere before shooting it!

No, there isn't. This is simply false.
    Also, parents are required, by law, to send their children to school (aaand we're back to unenforced laws again...)

Some schools reject them and they have to go to another school. You are not seriously debating the segregation of travellers?

There are hotels that wont take travellers.

Some schools reject them and they have to go to another school. You are not seriously debating the segregation of travellers?

There are hotels that wont take travellers.
    I am debating the segregation of travellers in schools actually. Can you name these schools who have refused pupils because hey are travellers.
    Nice fudging bringing hotels into his. LOL. Relevance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think there is an attitude problem towards animals in general in this country. Animal cruelty laws need to be tightened and there needs to be real and serious consequences for mistreating or neglecting an animal. If people could see real action being taken towards individuals who beat on/kill/neglect animals, then there might actually be a shift. If the authorities don't take animal cruelty seriously, no one else ever will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭galwaygirl08

This kind of cruelty to animals is nothing new in Galway. Last year a horse was set on fire in Ballybane, a while before that a dog was tied up and allowed to starve to death in an alleyway despite "people" using it. I have often contacted the Gardai, the City Council and the GSPCA about cruelty cases and they are all as bad as each other. The GSPCA in my opinion love to jump on the more publicised cases. I'll bet if a whale washed up on a beach they would be all over it like a cheap suit. The gardai always just say "we'll send a car out" and it never happens. As for the council, my God what a bunch of useless, cretins. They don't even answer their phones. Anyway, that's just from my own experiences in dealing with them.

There are laws in place already to deal with cases of cruelty. The council should be petitioned and they should be compelled by the citizens of Galway to act. This has gone on for years now and it will keep happening. They can't just keep regurgitating the same lack of finances argument all the time. AFAIK, last I read, they are paying a contractor something like €200 per horse to remove it. Bottom line is, nothing will be done until the public demand enforcement by the council.

Totally agree with you. We need to get a petition going.?? There's enough decent people in this area to stand up to these cruel, bad minded people. I'm sick of reporting cases to the Gardai, the council etc. it's one law for these people and another for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

id say the biggest problem here is that 90% of people respect animals and loathe animal cruelty, but only 5% would have the balls to act on it (including the authorities). regradless of how much effort is put into promoting animal welfare and educating people, there will allways be bad people, who do bad things to animals. I dont post very often on boards.ie, but this kind of things gets my blood pressure to ****ing boiling point.

I am debating the segregation of travellers in schools actually. Can you name these schools who have refused pupils because hey are travellers.
    Nice fudging bringing hotels into his. LOL. Relevance?

I could pretty much name every privileged school in ireland. Its well known that they go out of their way to prevent a traveller coming into the school. We dont hear about it, but they do it.

The hotels do it, the gaa clubs do it, where i grew up you have a certain doctor who deals with traveller patients. Some pubs ban travellers.

Im not going to be so stupid to start naming schools online and risk trouble.

My point is, that one of the reasons they cause trouble is because they are segregated. They are segregated because they cause trouble and also they cause trouble because they are segregated. And as long as you keep segregating them, the violence will continue.

What you have to do, is stop segregating them and try and get them to empathize more with society. Its not just a problem on their end.

I flew to another planet once and have 47 supermodel girlfriends.
    Specifics? Pah!
    Believe me, if a school turned away a pupil because they were a traveller we'd have heard all about it. Not even one linkable news story to corroborate in history?
    Yeah, right.

I flew to another planet once and have 47 supermodel girlfriends.
    Specifics? Pah!
    Believe me, if a school turned away a pupil because they were a traveller we'd have heard all about it. Not even one linkable news story to corroborate in history?
    Yeah, right.

Are you trying to wind me up?

Are you trying to wind me up?
    If being asked to supply any sort of evidence to back up your statements gets you wound up, then, yeah, I guess I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Sick fcukers should receive the same punishment!

Awaits lash back from all the 'do gudders'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

I agree they need to put in jail alright to curb it. But you have to remember these are kids, who know no better other than being kids. You want to blame someone, blame the parents.

The parents should be making them go to school and the schools should not be discriminating. There is more than one element to the jigsaw.

The government should be pushing the parents hard to make sure they go to school. Thats how you would solve it. Education said mandela is a powerful weapon.

All i see is a cycle with these families (not all of them). The parents treat the kids bad, the kids turn out bad and when they grow up they treat their own kids bad and on and on we go.

What a load off crap!!

These kids are old enough to know what they were doing was causing distress and pain, but lets just make excuses and blame their backgrounds!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Sick fcukers should receive the same punishment!

Awaits lash back from all the 'do gudders'!!

Totally agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I couldn't give two effs what background or what school these teenagers come from or go to.. Fact remains that they acted abhorrently and deserve the full extent of the punishment allowed on them.. If nothing else perhaps it might give others cause to think twice before getting their jollies out of inflicting pain and suffering on a creature that didn't ask for it nor can defend itself.. I feel sick..

Advertisement