Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three 2's

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

longshanks wrote: »
    the proper way to write it is there are three to's in the english language. moncriefs word ninja dealt with this last week
    What an incredible anti-climax! That's just wrong, how can anyone justify which form of the word to use? I demand an explanation.

What a loada me arse...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A new contendor for the most pointless thread ever in AH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

There are 3 2's in the english launguage

Two

To

Too

How do you put my original sentence into its correct form to make a statement

How would you say there are 3 2's in a sentence ?

Best way to explain would be definition plus example.

Homophone- words that sound the same eg. "Those two fellows went to the fair too."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jamaica

There are three (/tu:/)s in English language.
    :D
    Or, as mentioned above, homophones do occur in English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

im telling ye, its written there are three to's. the word ninja explained why its to, not two or too. by the way, 's can also be written es, but then it becomes toes and gets confusing. word ninja is always right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

why not to'es?

I thought you said you'd passed English in the LC? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Im on a ship of fools,how do I get off?
    stay on there, you are needed to make up the numbers.
    Your first statement is however factually incorrect
    "There are 3 2's in the english launguage"
    Incorrect in may ways including spelling.
    There are only two words pronounced the same that sound like "too", the third similar sounding but slightly different "to" is pronounced with a clipped "uh" sound compared to the elongated "oo" sound of the other two.

"You to are going to the shop two" just wont sound right, where as "you two are going to the shop too" will only have 3 "too" sounding words if you overemphasize the "to" in to an elongated "too".

This could of course lead to hilarious consequences and occasional disastrous international incidents so should not be treated to lightly.
    "too bee or not too bee" was of course an entomological observation by Shakespeare comparing humans to small buzzing honey producers but subsequently misquoted and misunderstood.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Best way to explain would be definition plus example.

Homophone- words that sound the same eg. "Those's two fellows went to the fair too."

Those's? Eh?
    No point coming out with lovely fancy shmancy words like homophones but spoiling it with nonsense like "those's". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

How do you put my original sentence into its correct form to make a statement

How would you say there are 3 2's in a sentence ?

I don't think it's possible cuz they all have separate meanings?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

im telling ye, its written there are three to's. the word ninja explained why its to, not two or too. by the way, 's can also be written es, but then it becomes toes and gets confusing. word ninja is always right
    It's wrong on several levels.

Why is there an apostrophe anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭roy123456789

There are 3 theirs in the English language (4 if your a Dub!
    They're
    Their
    There
    Dare
    How do you write the sentence there are 4 deres in the English language?

There are three 4s in the english language
    fore
    four
    for
    ??????????????????
    There are!!!!!!!!!!!1111

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The words two, too and to are all in the english language and all sound similar.

Your original sentence was too ambiguous to be correct.

Those's? Eh?
    No point coming out with lovely fancy shmancy words like homophones but spoiling it with nonsense like "those's". :D

I was quoting the second post, I could have used [] to correct it, but dont like meddling when quoting.

It's wrong on several levels.

Why is there an apostrophe anyway?

i dont know the answer mr. fudge. but on the moncrief show on newstalk radio this exact question was asked and the regular philologist guy, word ninja if you will, gave the answer i gave. and i for one salute our new word ninja master

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

very good ned, we park our cars in the same garage

You're both homosexuals?

You're both homosexuals?

yes and some nights we sit in and watch coming home in a bodybag

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

i dont know the answer mr. fudge. but on the moncrief show on newstalk radio this exact question was asked and the regular philologist guy, word ninja if you will, gave the answer i gave. and i for one salute our new word ninja master

Well he is either incorrect or you heard him wrong. Where are you getting the apostrophe from? It implies ownership... Would you say "There are three hen's in the garden"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

you could use the IPA, which is used for writing pronunciation. "There are three words pronounced /tʊu/ in the English language."

yeah and for every rule there is an exception, email moncrieff and have word ninja explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

longshank is right

There are three to's in the english language

• Advertisement

This should have started in soc/languages/english,
    anyway only three words sounding like to(two) ;)
    Have some fun thinking of all the different ways the word "set" is used.

longshank is right

thanks for that ned

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You're both homosexuals?
    And by the sounds of it, they're both tops and shagging the arse off the same poor fecker ...
    longshank is right

Ok, I'll bite ... why is that correct?

longshank is right

They cant be lumped together like that.

If you had a chair, a bed and a table then you have three pieces of furniture. You cant say you have three chairs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

"In the English language, there are three homophones for the word two; two, to and too."

OR

"In the English language, there are three homophones for the word to; two, to and too."

OR

"In the English language, there are three homophones for the word too; two, to and too."

A homophone is a word that is pronounced the same but can be spelt differently and has a differnt meaning. Any of the above are acceptable, because by introducing it as a homophone you provide context within which the word can be inserted as an example of the pronunciation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

longshank is right

"There are three to is in the english language"?
    Eh... I don't think so. Looks very wrong to me.

What johnnyskeleton said.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are 3 2's in the english launguage
    I refer you to two tutu's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭roy123456789

This should have started in soc/languages/english,
    anyway only three words sounding like to(two) ;)
    Have some fun thinking of all the different ways the word "set" is used.

Fun :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You can't lump them together. They are three different words that just happen to sound similar. So saying there are three to/two/too (s) in the English language makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

There is only one 2 in the English language. 2 being a number and all.

Advertisement