Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best place in Ireland

Options
  • 18-01-2008 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

In response to the worst place thread.

It's the fine city of Galway for me.

I dont care to explain why.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

has to be the kingdom of KERRY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sallys Gap. I love that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Mm. I concur. Northwest Wicklow. Drove through the Sally Gap and up over the lakes and such today - been a long while since I did that - and I was just stunned. I'd forgotten how wild and beautiful it is. So unspoilt.

I am never happier than when running up chesterfield avenue in the Phoenix Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I live in cork but I cant honestly say it is the best place but it does have the 2 best places within its borders. albeit out at sea.

Bere Island and Cape Clear are my fav places in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sallys Gap. I love that place.

Aaah Sallys Gap.. jewel in the crown,deep ravine covered in dense bushland,odd trickling stream gurgling through the gnarled crevices,unique scent and springy turf with grassy knoll covered in fragrant gorse,and surprises peeking cheekily from hooded folds.

Aaah Wickla...I'll never tire of ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

Connemara when its really sunny!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Aaah Sallys Gap.. jewel in the crown,deep ravine covered in dense bushland,odd trickling stream gurgling through the gnarled crevices,unique scent and springy turf with grassy knoll covered in fragrant gorse,and surprises peeking cheekily from hooded folds.

Is it just my warped mind, or did this make anyone else think of, you know....?
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway
    Kerry
    Glens of Antrim
    in that order

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

st.stephen green park...

i have obsesion on swans/ducks...i m sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Galway / West Kerry / west of Ireland generally ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dublin, clearly. The rest is window dressing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Inis Oirr in sunshine, River Barrow is quality too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

seraphimvc wrote: »
    st.stephen green park...

i have obsesion on swans/ducks...i m sorry.

used to love sitting beside the lake at the "bandstand" pagoda thing when i lived in town.

I keep meaning to have a sunny afternoon there reading a book in the summer.

Other than that. The most beautiful places...

Clare in general. I love Clare.
    Mayo, westport and around those parts is lovely if a little contrived for the tourist industry.
    Rossnowlagh, Co. Donegal. Best beach evening in mid-winter.

As an aside Belfast has to be the most over rated city in the country.
    Down is scary and black, and full of scang.
    As far as cities go the best, place with the nicest people has to be Derry city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

The Sally Gap

not Sallys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

Is it this time of the year already?

Meh, Muff, Co Donegal for me.

I loves me muff. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Loughcrew Gardens and the cairns. <insert random insult towards Dublin and/or Cork residents #1233422423 'my towen is better than yores'> :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Grassy knoll covered in fragrant gorse? Oh! suits you sir.

People get all romantic about places in the West, and South West. Parts of Wickla put it up to anything Clare and Kerry have to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

(I may get banned but...)
    OP, the best place in Ireland, is BALLS DEEP INSOIDE YORE MA!!

I accept my punishment........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

armour87 wrote: »
    In response to the worst place thread.

It's the fine city of Galway for me.

I dont care to explain why.

Given the tragic weather, the windswept desolate hide a body never be found landscape around it, and the cost it takes to get there from anywhere else this always baffles me. I really could not live in Galway if you paid me. The weather and the remoteness just kills it.

For me any beach area on a hot summers day is the business.

Dont care for much else here.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Gotta be Connemara or most parts of County Clare (Lahinch, the Burren, Lough Derg, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The south of Ireland is generally quite nice, particurly Waterford and Cork city imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The departure lounge at Shannon airport.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Wibbs wrote: »
    Dublin, clearly. The rest is window dressing.
    Ah, but traditionally shops put the pick of the merchandise in the window, and display it aesthetically ... :p
    shane86 wrote: »
    Given the tragic weather, the windswept desolate hide a body never be found landscape around it, and the cost it takes to get there from anywhere else this always baffles me. I really could not live in Galway if you paid me. The weather and the remoteness just kills it.
    The weather I will give you (not that the weather is exactly brilliant anywhere in Ireland) but otherwise it's a great place to live, you should try it sometime. The size, the people, the atmosphere are a lot of it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Don't reckon I have a wide enough knowledge of the entire island to answer authoritatively on this. I think that Kerry is absolutely lovely and do the big drive down there from Belfast at least twice every summer. I am also a fan of Donegal and have much more knowledge of the county as my dad comes from there and went there loads as a child. As Biko mentioned the Glens of Antrim are beautiful as well. My knowledge of the west coast leaves a lot to be desired so I'm sure I'm missing out loads of great places there. This summer I intend to go on a road trip with some mates and we are going to drive round all the coastal counties of Ireland and either camp or stay in B&Bs. I may resurrect this thread in July and give y'all a revised answer.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭bantee

Has to be county Clare. Castles, Cliffs of Moher, brilliant beaches, the Burren, Aillwee Caves (of Father Ted Fame), also Father Ted's house is in Kilnaboy outside Corofin, the Queens nightclub in Ennis (an experience you won't forget!!!!), great pubs with sessions that go on all night, etc, etc.

Only let down in Clare is the road to Limerick! Ha ha, they have too much easy access to our County; See Kilkee in the summer for example!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

It has to be the Burren, a fantastic place, love every bit off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Galway City.

Small enough to walk around, big enough to regret (Past and future memories included).

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

The roads out are pretty good I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

ive always wanted to go antrim to see the giants causeway but for now its the old head of kinsale. i remember kayaking around it and then went through a cave and out onto the other side...was amazing

Advertisement