Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you ****ing kidding me? [Cyberterror]

Options
  • 19-01-2008 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭

Criminals have been able to hack into computer systems via the Internet and cut power to several cities, a U.S. Central Intelligence Agency analyst said this week.
    Speaking at a conference of security professionals on Wednesday, CIA analyst Tom Donahue disclosed the recently declassified attacks while offering few specifics on what actually went wrong.
    Criminals have launched online attacks that disrupted power equipment in several regions outside of the U.S., he said, without identifying the countries affected. The goal of the attacks was extortion, he said.
    "We have information, from multiple regions outside the United States, of cyber intrusions into utilities, followed by extortion demands," he said in a statement posted to the Web on Friday by the conference's organizers, the SANS Institute. "In at least one case, the disruption caused a power outage affecting multiple cities. We do not know who executed these attacks or why, but all involved intrusions through the Internet."
    "According to Mr. Donahue, the CIA actively and thoroughly considered the benefits and risks of making this information public, and came down on the side of disclosure," SANS said in the statement.
    One conference attendee said the disclosure came as news to many of the government and industry security professionals in attendance. "It appeared that there were a lot of people who didn't know this already," said the attendee, who asked not to be identified because he is not authorized to speak with the press.
    He confirmed SANS' report of the talk. "There were apparently a couple of incidents where extortionists cut off power to several cities using some sort of attack on the power grid, and it does not appear to be a physical attack," he said.
    Hacking the power grid made front-page headlines in September when CNN aired a video showing an Idaho National Laboratory demonstration of a software attack on the computer system used to control a power generator. In the demonstration, the smoking generator was rendered inoperable.
    The U.S. is taking steps to lock down the computers that manage its power systems, however.
    On Thursday, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) approved new mandatory standards designed to improve cybersecurity.
    CIA representatives could not be reached immediately for comment.

And they honestly did not prepare for this sort of thing happening??!?!?!?!?!?!

I mean cmon - I have trashy fiction novels next to my toilet bowl that have been talking about this crap for a decade: and I could sit there reading it and laugh "haha yeah we aren't that stupid: who's going to network vital utilities to the web?"

And ever constantly, we learn just how infallible governments can be.

I don't blame it on sheer stupidity: I bet theres CIA analysts whom have thought about this but its the higher ups who would say yeah we're not going to bother with this - I mean *snort* - whos going to fly a jumbo jet, into a building? I mean cmon, Johnson, thats just silly.

Blarg........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Hmmmmmm:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im just wondering how anyone can be so stupid as to give a hacker access to a city power grid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

I'm just wondering how stupid someone could be to think that someone would give a hacker access to a city power grid!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well they did or else how would the hacker have done it?

Its yknow - the same reason we dont hook up nuclear missile silos to google.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭rimshott

Borrrrrrrrrrrrring!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

How is it boring? Someone managed to shut down a cities power grid from their feckin PC probably thousands of miles away.

That pretty impressive stuff and really makes you think about how much potential damage someone could do if they had enough hate.

I remember the stuff about the Russians totally hacking the **** out of Estonia, that was crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Overheal wrote: »
    well they did or else how would the hacker have done it?

The clue would be in the name, "Hacker".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

A hacker: A person who finds a quicker or simpler way to do something.
    A cracker: Someone who breaks passwords or removes security functionality from software, for illegal use.

To hack game code, to make it run faster with no visible loss of functionality.
    To crack game code, to illegally change the code for whatever reason, to make copies, to play without CD/DVD or to unlock/change content.

On topic: BOOOOOOOORRRRRIIIINNNGGGGG!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Riveting stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Folks, if you don't like it or it bores: move on to the next thread or whatever; do not spam the thread with your pointless and rude "borrrrinnngg" crap.

Isn't this just the basic plot behind Die Hard 4.0? Just do what they did. Get John McClaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 abstrac9357

And ever constantly, we learn just how infallible governments can be.

Fallible. But I mean, that's not surprising, most big organisations don't get everything right all the time, the rank and file employees are only human after all.
    I don't blame it on sheer stupidity: I bet theres CIA analysts whom have thought about this but its the higher ups who would say yeah we're not going to bother with this - I mean *snort* - whos going to fly a jumbo jet, into a building? I mean cmon, Johnson, thats just silly.

The fact is, there's lots of things bad people could do in our society that could do a lot of damage, if they decided to. And it's just not worth defending against every sort of threat possible. We could try, but it'd be so hard and inefficient, that the cure would be worse than the disease... and there'd still be a vulerability somewhere that would slip through the cracks.

Think about your example of them hijacking planes, and using them as missiles. I don't think it's that anyone thought it was impossible, pre 9/11.
    It's just that people thought it was unlikely, and hoped no one would do it.

Today, your not allowed take sharp things onto the plane, but no one is really convinced that'd stop a determined attacker. You can talk about sedating people during air travel, or putting 2 air marshals on each plane, but even if you do this it just screws up air travel, the terrorists win (everyone is terrified), and the bad guys just go find some other way to cause mayhem.

You've just got to accept that unless you give up all your freedom, and sacrifice all your efficiency as a society, there's going to be room for small minorities to do bad things. You've just got to hope that no one is determined enough, angry enough, and evil enough to do those bad things, and try and make sure that if they do them repeatadly there's a means of catching them.

It's like reading about a stabbing on grafton street.
    It's awful, and it could happen to you. You could just be walking down the street, and some random psycho could stick a knife in you. What do you do? Stay in? Wear a vest?
    No, you just accept the risk, hope it doesn't happen, and live your life... the Gardai can't save the first victim, but they can catch the second one, and that's good enough. No one suggests metal detectors on grafton street - not because it wouldn't work, but because it wouldn't be worthwhile.

And so it is with computer systems... from desktops to SCADA, at differing degrees.
    You could build systems that are perfectly secure... but it'd take a long time and a lot of money, and the problem you wanted to solve would probably be irrelevant by the time the system was ready. So you make an engineering tradeoff, a compromise.

With desktop computer, you accept a large risk that someone can break the security, as the consequences aren't that bad. (And people do accept these risks - everyone will moan about security after something bad happens, but people vote with their wallets, and in software, cheap and functional is what people have chosen).

You'd hope the tradeoff would be a bit different with scada, and other high risk systems... but it's always going to be a tradeoff.

Some critical utilities just won't be funded to the level of being completely secure, because no one would pay the price. The inefficiency of running your telco, or grid not like a military operation is generally worse than the consequnces of taking the risk that a determined attacker could do damage. At least that's the tradeoff in operation, thus far, and it does make some sense. As long as you make it that they have to be pretty determined and fairly skilled, maybe you've done enough of a job.
    Maybe some nut will be able to cut the power, but some nut will always be able to do something bad, and there's worse things than that they could do.

And that's it... it's all very well to go moaning about 'how could anyone let this happen' after something bad has happened, but the fact is the price of perfect security is too high, but in IT and in the real world.
    Sure, you've got to make attacks require some knowledge and determination - but after that spending the effort trying to all get along, so that no one wants to do those terrible things, is probably much more worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I remember reading about how a media company in Estonia was the victim from a Denial of Service attack. The difference with this attack was that it was very widespread. In the article the admin had to reject all access requests from outside Estonia. Luckily one of the DNS server admins was in Estonia giving a talk at the time and he was able to help.

Some tec-savy person correct me if I'm wrong but in the article it said that there are 14 DNS servers on the planet and that they act like traffic lights for the internet as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

D wrote: »
    Some tec-savy person correct me if I'm wrong but in the article it said that there are 14 DNS servers on the planet and that they act like traffic lights for the internet as a whole.
    I think the analogy of them being the 'big authorative' addressbooks above all the others is better. TCP/IP does the traffic lights stuff based on those addressbooks. fwiw http://www.root-servers.org/ says 13 servers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Speaking at a conference of security professionals on Wednesday, CIA analyst Tom Donahue disclosed the recently declassified attacks while offering few specifics on what actually went wrong.
    Criminals have launched online attacks that disrupted power equipment in several regions outside of the U.S., he said, without identifying the countries affected. The goal of the attacks was extortion, he said.
    "In at least one case, the disruption caused a power outage affecting multiple cities. We do not know who executed these attacks or why, but all involved intrusions through the Internet."

Fucking genius, that chap.

A hacker: A person who finds a quicker or simpler way to do something.
    A cracker: Someone who breaks passwords or removes security functionality from software, for illegal use.

To hack game code, to make it run faster with no visible loss of functionality.
    To crack game code, to illegally change the code for whatever reason, to make copies, to play without CD/DVD or to unlock/change content.

On topic: BOOOOOOOORRRRRIIIINNNGGGGG!!!!

Hacker:

1) A highly proficient computer programmer who seeks to gain unauthorised access to systems without malicious intent.

2) A person who tries and/or succeeds at defeating computer security measures.

3) ... applied to individuals, with or without skill, who break into security systems.

4) An individual whose primary aim in life is to penetrate the security defences of large, sophisticated, computer systems. A truly skilled hacker can penetrate a system right to the core, and withdraw again, without leaving a trace of the activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Why would a pc controlling a power grid be online? Its not like power companys can't cable their own independent networks? You can break into a pc/server remotely if there is no outside link.

Seems a little to lazy for me, must be small countrys that were affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    How is it boring? Someone managed to shut down a cities power grid from their feckin PC probably thousands of miles away.

Of course someone managed to down the power grid for a whole city, thats completely feasible and realistic, I mean it's a comment by a member of the completely down to Earth, anti-sensationalist bastian of truth that is the CIA, so naturally it is completely factual and not at all geared towards brokering support for thier actions. The fact that the speaker withheld any information that could be used to identify and confirm these events such as dates, times, places is due 100% to protecting national security and has nothing to do with not wanting to be proved to be talking utter bollix and propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Why would a pc controlling a power grid be online? Its not like power companys can't cable their own independent networks? You can break into a pc/server remotely if there is no outside link.

Reasons of efficiency and cost and practicality.

There's a lot of variables. For big critical infrastructure, in an ideal world, and in some practical cases, you can build two isolated computer systems/networks, and solve your security concerns that way. Even if you do this it requires a huge amount of organisational resources and military like discipline to make sure no computer is ever on both networks, no modem is ever exposed to the outside, no usb storage device ever passes between them etc.

If your talking about a medium sized commerical utility or infrastructure company (whatever about power, certainly communications, health, etc and there's a lot of interdependancy), even in a rich country, there's a huge operational cost to maintaining a seperate parallel network, laying your own cabling and so on, and a lot of companies are just going to choose a virtual private network running over existing internet technology for cost reasons.
    Seems a little to lazy for me, must be small countrys that were affected.
    Because in big countries, big infrastructure companies/government departments are run to the best IT security and efficiency standards?

Of course someone managed to down the power grid for a whole city, thats completely feasible and realistic, I mean it's a comment by a member of the completely down to Earth, anti-sensationalist bastian of truth that is the CIA, so naturally it is completely factual and not at all geared towards brokering support for thier actions.
    Tbh, it requires more of a leap to say that they're making stuff up at this conference for shadowy conspircy reasons than that it actually happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Naos wrote: »
    Hacker:
    No, this goes back to the original usage of the word. A hacker was someone who loved tinkering with systems and fiddling with them just for the hell of it. Not to make them faster or to break them, just to see how they worked. "Cracker" then arose in the computing community as a sort of crowbar wielding internet burglar, a much cruder beast.

However, in the common parlance, "hacker" changed and became synonymous with "cracker", so now the two words are basically interchangeable. The meaning of the word changed, a bit like "gay". Ones as good as the other at this stage.

On topic, what did they expect? Well meaning officials bought commodity hardware and software off the shelf, got a firewall from someone, and assumed it would all work out well. The newsflash here is that what might be good enough for John Q Public's home computer isn't good enough to protect vital public services which might be wired up to the net, as they will draw a lot more fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Overheal wrote: »
    Im just wondering how anyone can be so stupid as to give a hacker access to a city power grid.

most people install windows, its like throwing hackers a key to everything

Re: Hacker vs Cracker
    Surely everyone reasonable stopped debating this 10 years ago? I mean, it's obvious what the dominant meaning of hacker is; no one really thinks a bunch of nerds are going to change the popular meaning, and its generally only ESR fanboys willing to start the debate on an unrelated thread these days.
    most people install windows, its like throwing hackers a key to everything
    As opposed to what? Leaving the hard disk blank?
    While in the days of Win9x that statement may have carried some merit, now it's really just another fanboy-esque pronouncement.

It's possible to run highly secure large scale networks running Windows - many highly secure networks have large Windows installations.
    The challenge of compromising a large corporate/government network running windows isn't much less, if at all, than compromising one running linux, unix, OSX (neglecting minority business impractical solutions like openBSD from the discussion).
    It's true that Windows may not be as secure by default as some of the others, but that's not really relevant to a discussion of large scale network security where internal admins are configuring installs.
    Large network security is down to permiter defenses, dilligence of machine administration (patches etc), education of users, reduction of services, monitoring of network traffic etc, much more so than down to what OS is running on the internal machines.
    It's certainly not correct to say that a network is insecure simply because windows is running on it, or that your handing anyone (except maybe microsoft) keys to anything.

There are always tradeoffs between efficiency and security. Windows is very efficient in certain business environments, and that efficiency brings in more money which can pay for more security - can't neglect that aspect of it either.

For a 4 month lurker, your posts are impressive and you should make them more often.

I was just bored in work yesterday. I don't really care what it's caled either way.

Advertisement