Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiences sought regarding HSE scheme where can get a free dental cleaning

Options
  • 02-10-2014 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

When I went to the dentist this time last year, a note was up that people with long-term conditions could be eligible for a free clean.

They said they would apply for me. I (well, my mum) brought down my prescription which includes a low-dose tricyclic antidepressant (for sleep, pain, etc.) which causes dry mouth. I presumed I would be passed. The dentist's assistant never asked for my medical details* but they should have that on file.

When I rang today I asked about this and was told I hadn't been passed and only people with diabetes and epilepsy are getting it.

However, I know one person with M.E. who has got it.

What are others' experiences?

* I have severe myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) for the last twenty years. I'm basically housebound, just going out for important appointments. I need a wheelchair for more than 15 metres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Could they have meant long term illness as classified by the HSE and not long term conditions

Acute Leukaemia
    Mental handicap
    Cerebral Palsy
    Mental Illness (in a person under 16)
    Cystic Fibrosis
    Multiple Sclerosis
    Diabetes Insipidus
    Muscular Dystrophies
    Diabetes Mellitus
    Parkinsonism
    Epilepsy
    Phenylketonuria
    Haemophilia
    Spina Bifida
    Hydrocephalus
    Conditions arising from the use of Thalidomide

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

cassid wrote: »
    Could they have meant long term illness as classified by the HSE and not long term conditions

Acute Leukaemia
    Mental handicap
    Cerebral Palsy
    Mental Illness (in a person under 16)
    Cystic Fibrosis
    Multiple Sclerosis
    Diabetes Insipidus
    Muscular Dystrophies
    Diabetes Mellitus
    Parkinsonism
    Epilepsy
    Phenylketonuria
    Haemophilia
    Spina Bifida
    Hydrocephalus
    Conditions arising from the use of Thalidomide
    I know somebody who doesn't have any of those condition - they have M.E. like me (they're a little less severe) - who was passed.
    The other difference is they're in Galway and I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

kangaroo wrote: »
    I know somebody who doesn't have any of those condition - they have M.E. like me (they're a little less severe) - who was passed.

Link:
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/2/dental/

"If you have a medical condition not listed above, but your dentist feels it would entitle you to additional dental treatments, the dentist may apply for this through the local Dental Office. A decision to approve is made on a case by case basis."

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

kangaroo wrote: »

That's not on IMO. To be honest your dentist doesn't sound educated on the details if they said only epileptic and diabetic patients are getting it and didn't ask for medical records. I would follow up with them on that for sure.

Advertisement