Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one going to Sydney in January?!

Options
  • 19-09-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey all, I am heading over to Sydney in time for the New Year! I know one or two people over there but they are more acquaintances than friends, I'd love to get in touch with any one who's heading over around the same time. I'm 24, working in Share Plans at the moment, heading over alone and getting kind of nervous now! I'm more concerned about making a network of friends, would love to house share with some Irish or Brits! Or any one who is up for a bit of banter and would share a glass of wine after a long day at work!

If any one is travelling over, I'd really appreciate hearing how your preparation is going for the big adventure, how you're finding accommodation, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Sorry for the interruption but sure maybe itl bump it up for ya. 24 also and strongly thinking about going over. Would be going alone and don't know anyone over there. Is it too big of a jump??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emma1919

Dupont wrote: »
    Sorry for the interruption but sure maybe itl bump it up for ya. 24 also and strongly thinking about going over. Would be going alone and don't know anyone over there. Is it too big of a jump??

Hey, it does feel like a big jump, but If I don't go now I'll never go! My friends here have no interest in travelling and it's one of those things I know I'll regret if I don't do! I think it's what you make of it, Obvs it'll be tough but if you put yourself out there and join running groups or whatever I'm sure you would make lots of friends?! Dunno if I'm trying to convince you or myself! Hopefully someone who has actually gone over alone can give us some advice! And most people will be in the same boat over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aimee_24

emma1919 wrote: »
    Hey, it does feel like a big jump, but If I don't go now I'll never go! My friends here have no interest in travelling and it's one of those things I know I'll regret if I don't do! I think it's what you make of it, Obvs it'll be tough but if you put yourself out there and join running groups or whatever I'm sure you would make lots of friends?! Dunno if I'm trying to convince you or myself! Hopefully someone who has actually gone over alone can give us some advice! And most people will be in the same boat over there!

Hi! I'm in the same boat, considering a move to New Zealand or Australia! My brother is currently in christchurch and he just moved there 6 weeks ago! I'd rather have Australia as I have citizenship! We emigrated as a family over ten years ago. Have always said I would go back but it's getting my very settled friends to shift which is looking like it's never going to happen! I'm the same as you, if I don't go now I'll never go and at the age of 24, it's now or never! Which part are u thinking of going to? And also what job are you after?

Aimee_24 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm in the same boat, considering a move to New Zealand or Australia! My brother is currently in christchurch and he just moved there 6 weeks ago! I'd rather have Australia as I have citizenship! We emigrated as a family over ten years ago. Have always said I would go back but it's getting my very settled friends to shift which is looking like it's never going to happen! I'm the same as you, if I don't go now I'll never go and at the age of 24, it's now or never! Which part are u thinking of going to? And also what job are you after?

I'm going to Sydney, hoping to live in coogee or randwick, I know it will be quite expensive though! The company I work for now is actually Australian so I'm hoping they might have a position over there! I was also thinking of doing some bar work over there just to need people, but you need a certificate in Responsible alcohol
    service. You can do it online so I figure its worth while to just have it before I go over! Where abouts are you thinking of going? It's hard when your friends won't come! Very handy you have citizenship though!

I'm going to Sydney, hoping to live in coogee or randwick, I know it will be quite expensive though! The company I work for now is actually Australian so I'm hoping they might have a position over there! I was also thinking of doing some bar work over there just to need people, but you need a certificate in Responsible alcohol
    service. You can do it online so I figure its worth while to just have it before I go over! Where abouts are you thinking of going? It's hard when your friends won't come! Very handy you have citizenship though!

I think randwick is where my aunt and uncle lived for a while, although I think they may have moved somewhere else! When I lived there I lived in lisarow, Gosford! Aw that's brilliant that ur company is Australian, hopefully that will open doors for u! I'm lucky I don't have to apply for a visa but they seem to be easy got these days Anyway :) just the job situation worries me! I'd love to go to Sydney, anywhere there's work for me! I'm waiting to see what my brothers going to do as he's in christchurch and finding the living there is expensive and can't get the job he's qualified for! Think he's on about 16 dollars an hour which isn't much. Where are u from?

• Advertisement

I think randwick is where my aunt and uncle lived for a while, although I think they may have moved somewhere else! When I lived there I lived in lisarow, Gosford! Aw that's brilliant that ur company is Australian, hopefully that will open doors for u! I'm lucky I don't have to apply for a visa but they seem to be easy got these days Anyway :) just the job situation worries me! I'd love to go to Sydney, anywhere there's work for me! I'm waiting to see what my brothers going to do as he's in christchurch and finding the living there is expensive and can't get the job he's qualified for! Think he's on about 16 dollars an hour which isn't much. Where are u from?

I know it's is worrying, especially the thoughts of walking away from a job here! Hopefully he gets a good position soon, he's only there six weeks! One of my friends is over there and he said there's plenty of work, so fingers crossed! I'm a southsider, what about you? Also there is a working abroad expo in RDS on Sat, might be some use to you!?

I know it's is worrying, especially the thoughts of walking away from a job here! Hopefully he gets a good position soon, he's only there six weeks! One of my friends is over there and he said there's plenty of work, so fingers crossed! I'm a southsider, what about you? Also there is a working abroad expo in RDS on Sat, might be some use to you!?

I'm hoping I can take a career break so my job will be here when I come back! I can take up to 5 years so that gives me some security. I live in Northern Ireland, where is the expo?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

I'm hoping I can take a career break so my job will be here when I come back! I can take up to 5 years so that gives me some security. I live in Northern Ireland, where is the expo?

One in Belfast on Sunday

Dupont wrote: »
    One in Belfast on Sunday

Thanks! Must go and see what they can tell me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Hi All

Myself and my girlfriend earlie 20s have also made the big plunge ! Obvioisly have the same concerns as all work, places to stay and the cost of it ! Booked everything ourselves usit and all those companies charge u for things u can do yourself for free !i went to an expo in the citywest and didn find it useful at all its good if u need reassurance but other than that its not much good ! Were heading for melbourne as we know some people there but intend to not depend on them.and will be looking to meet people in same situaton as us ! Hoping to stay at least 5/6 months there then go to.sydney around april/may ! Work depending !
    Would definetely be up for meeting people in sydney if ye all end up there
    Best of luck with everything !
    Pm for email address and facebook name we could help out each other with jobs acccommadation etc

• Advertisement

Hi All

Myself and my girlfriend earlie 20s have also made the big plunge ! Obvioisly have the same concerns as all work, places to stay and the cost of it ! Booked everything ourselves usit and all those companies charge u for things u can do yourself for free !i went to an expo in the citywest and didn find it useful at all its good if u need reassurance but other than that its not much good ! Were heading for melbourne as we know some people there but intend to not depend on them.and will be looking to meet people in same situaton as us ! Hoping to stay at least 5/6 months there then go to.sydney around april/may ! Work depending !
    Would definetely be up for meeting people in sydney if ye all end up there
    Best of luck with everything !
    Pm for email address and facebook name we could help out each other with jobs acccommadation etc

Yea, I was actually thinking of
    sorting out visas and bank account myself to try save a few bob! When are you guys heading out? Would defo be up for meeting up if and when you get to Sydney!

Aimee the expo might help you feel more secure with the work situation too!

Yea, I was actually thinking of
    sorting out visas and bank account myself to try save a few bob! When are you guys heading out? Would defo be up for meeting up if and when you get to Sydney!

Aimee the expo might help you feel more secure with the work situation too!

Would reccommend doing the visa and bank acc yourself! Visa is so easy to do online and it gets approved the next day and same with bank acc we got our account numbers the next day!
    Were leaving the 15th october but having a holiday in dubai for a week then on to melbourne, both of us are quite hesitant ourselves but just going with an open mind and hoping for the best!
    Really lookin forward to sydney but said we'd hit melbourne first and ease ourselves in !
    Your going just after christmas yeah ? Arriving for the nice weather and at least you will be at home with family etc for christmas !

Would reccommend doing the visa and bank acc yourself! Visa is so easy to do online and it gets approved the next day and same with bank acc we got our account numbers the next day!
    Were leaving the 15th october but having a holiday in dubai for a week then on to melbourne, both of us are quite hesitant ourselves but just going with an open mind and hoping for the best!
    Really lookin forward to sydney but said we'd hit melbourne first and ease ourselves in !
    Your going just after christmas yeah ? Arriving for the nice weather and at least you will be at home with family etc for christmas !

How much did it cost to do online? Did you just do it through the aus immigration website? Oh my days, that's so close! I'd say the nerves are kicking in now! Melbourne sounds epic too, yea I'll have new year in Sydney! Let us know how you're gettin on and I'll hopefully be in Sydney by time you's head down!

How much did it cost to do online? Did you just do it through the aus immigration website? Oh my days, that's so close! I'd say the nerves are kicking in now! Melbourne sounds epic too, yea I'll have new year in Sydney! Let us know how you're gettin on and I'll hopefully be in Sydney by time you's head down!

Think it was €320 on the government website ! Yeah i finish work this friday so started to become a bit real today when people were saying oh its your last week !! Yeah iv a couple of friends in melbourne so were going to meet up with them ! Dont really want to depend on them too much though because at the end of the day were out for the experience !
    Yeah we'll be up to sydney few months after xmas for sure !

• Registered Users Posts: 28 arealhumanbein

I'm heading to Melbourne too :) I leave Ireland in 3 weeks, hitting up SE Asia for 6 weeks then to Melbourne by early December. Starting to get real :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Surry Hills is the best spot in Sydney to rent in I found. Or if you're looking for more of a beach vibe, Manly is absolutely aw some.

I found people who move to Bondi and Randwick got stuck in a bit of an all Irish/British bubble to be honest. Still nice areas but just wasn't my buzz.

I'm heading to Melbourne too :) I leave Ireland in 3 weeks, hitting up SE Asia for 6 weeks then to Melbourne by early December. Starting to get real :)

Oh what date you flying ? Were heading the 15th stopping in Dubai for a week and Kuala Lumpur for 3 days then onto Melbourne hopefully get a place in st kilda

• Registered Users Posts: 28 clumhoho

Hi guys,

Im 24, moved to Sydney in June so been here just over 3 months now. Dont think age is a barrier when it comes to moving here. I was lucky to come with friends of a similar age, but its something everyone should try at least once in their lives!

In terms of making friends, I moved into a hostel (Blue Parrot Backpackers, check it out, great place) when I got here first. I now have a close group of friends of at least 20 people. British, Australian, German, Belgian and of course Irish. A great mix of people. I honestly believe if you are in any way outgoing, making friends is not a problem.

On the jobs front, its not as good as it used to be. You will always find bar work and retail jobs but better jobs can be tricky to find. I am very lucky that I have just secured a job(Data Analysis) and am being sponsored. But I only started this job last week! Patience is key if you want to stay here. I could see myself in this country for a long time.

Living here is like nothing you will experience at home. Each suburb has its perks from eastern suburbs to the northern beaches and everything inbetween. There really is something for everyone here.

I hope I have helped people here in some way. If you have any specific questions about Sydney or Australia in general, dont be afraid to drop me a PM.

C

Oh what date you flying ? Were heading the 15th stopping in Dubai for a week and Kuala Lumpur for 3 days then onto Melbourne hopefully get a place in st kilda

I arrive in Melbourne the 2nd of December, hopefully something around st kilda too 😁

I arrive in Melbourne the 2nd of December, hopefully something around st kilda too 😁

Deadly !! Hopefully il be all settled with a place by then ! Send me.an email when u arrive if yaneed any help! Kenaneym@yahoo.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

do the gambling certificate too, 99% of pubs have pokies in them and you cant work in a bar that has them without it , roughly 130 dolla for that too or sometimes , you can bundle them

Deadly !! Hopefully il be all settled with a place by then ! Send me.an email when u arrive if yaneed any help!

Thanks a mil, I'll hit you up when I arrive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kane24

Hi,

Im also planning on moving to sydney in January. Im a 24 year old female who will be travelling alone and would love to meet new people. I have my visa sorted but still need to book flights etc. One of my friends will be moving over to Sydney from Perth with her boyfriend so Im greatful to have them but would still love to meet new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kane24

Hi,

Im also planning on moving to sydney in January. Im a 24 year old female who will be travelling alone and would love to meet new people. I have my visa sorted but still need to book flights etc. One of my friends will be moving over to Sydney from Perth with her boyfriend so Im greatful to have them but would still love to meet new people.

Advertisement