Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rickenbacker 650D Dakota

Options
  • 11-07-2006 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone knows anything or has played this Rick? I've never played a Rick myself but I love the look of them. The thing is this though. On thomann its this price;

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-190296.html

Anyway, I was browsing some of the NY shops, and the Dakota at Sam Ash Music in New York is $719 on sale!! (€560!!)!!

Should I bite the bullet and enrage my good lady wife (who is, may I add, 5 months pregnant with our first child and therefore wants to spend ALL my money on Baby prams and stuff!!) and ask my Bro who lives in NY to tot along down to Sam Ash and pick me up a Dakota!!!??? Will he get stopped for tax coming home in September!!!

Thanks all
    Edja

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Do it! With a babe on the way, it could very well be your last chance to get something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Carpe Diem.

That baby's gonna need a guitar to rock out on some day, might as well get it now as later ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭JMArr

Shouldnt get stopped for customs on the way home. tell him to take all the new tags and documents off/out of the case. on the off chance he gets stopped he can say its his and he's just bringing on holiday to play. a fella I know(*ahem) brought a new Les Paul through no bother recently. Saved a fortune as well....:O)

Also you may actually want to play one here before you buy get it home and find you dont like the tone ..ricks are meant to have a unique tone ..pretty bright and 'jangly' afaik?( but that may be a misconception cos they're famous for their 12 strings I dunno) anyway. Waltons on georges street in dublin stock ricks ..try before u buy i'd say.read up on harmony central as well if you havent already.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Edja

Ah lads!! Yer supposed to be talkin me out of it!!! Now, where am I going to get 500 quid without the Mrs realising it!!??????

I din't know where there was anyone doing rics in dublin. I'll go up have a look maybe next week as I need to get the action lowered on my McIlroy!! (Did I tell you what a fabulous guitar it was!!???)!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Edja wrote:
    Ah lads!! Yer supposed to be talkin me out of it!!!

What the hell are you talking about? Us? Talk someone out of buying gear? You've gone mad with lack of new gear! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

A guitar is for life and a baby will eventually grow up and move out. Get the guitar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Everything I've heard about the 650D has been positive. You're obviously not going to get the classic Ric sound from it but if you like mini humbuckers then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Edja

Lads, thanks for all your advice and pushing! But alas, the ric isn't in stock, and won't be for ....18 months!!! What teasers!??!!! Why have it on their bloody website!!!?
    Anyway, looked at more!! Have you heard of this?.....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_gretsch_guitars_electromatic_hollowbody_electric_guitar?full_sku=517730%2e001

Sorry for all the indecision!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

That's a Korean made Gretsch. Personally I think it's a little pricey for what you actually get. If you look around you could definitely get a better deal. For that money I'd try to get the Ric on somewhere like ebay over the Gretsch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

As much as I think Gretsch make the best guitars known to man, you should certainly go for the Ricky. They're so damned kooky, unique sounding and just striking. That Dakota looks like a fine machine.

Also, I heard that the customs folks can check your other luggage for reciepts for things such as a spanking new Ricky, so get your brother to post the documents,receipts etc. to you so you can't get stung.

• Advertisement
Advertisement