Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the value of this guitar?

Options
  • 08-07-2006 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭

Hello, my friend and fellow band member has a Washburn Dime Culprit with original floyd rose and dime buckers in both bridge and neck, the scratch plate is also personally signed by Dimebag himself back in the late 90's, I just want to know what is a reasonable price to expect for this guitar. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Care to back that up with any information?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Nehpets wrote:
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

What did it retail at unsigned/new? Were the Seymour Duncans stock pickups? I'd say you'd get the RRP plus 5-10% for it should you ebay it seeing as Dime is dead and all. I'd say hold onto it for a few more years, it wont lose value

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Youd want a photograph of Dimebag signing the guitar, otherwise the signature isnt worth a bean....

Personally, i doubt the guitar would be worth any more than 2/3 of its new price. Its just a second hand washburn, the Dimebag connection doesnt make it any more valueable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Actually timmy it was signed in 2002, 2003. It should only go up in value imo for the following reasons.

1.signed by dime and hes dead.
    2.has the same spec as a 1200$ guitar(buzz feintin, 18:1 grovers, dimebucker etc.)
    3.Its an extremely rare guitar. Finding One anywhere is hard.
    4.To my knowlege it was oroiginally a prototype for a new dime style guitar before he switched to dean, there was somthing like only 5/600 made in 03 or ever, but i could be very wrong on that one.
    5.Comes with a form fitted hardshell, well try finding a case for the thing.

Its cause of all those reasons i could see it goingup in price but moynihan still thinks its worth a lot more than it is imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

It would be lovely if it did go up in price (lord knows we'd all love money for nothing), but unfortunately -
    1) Dime would have signed thousands upon thousands of guitars. Plus, without a photo of him signing it, its just a scribble on the guitar.
    2) Good stuff, that means it is a good guitar, but nothing else.
    3 & 4) 5 or 600 isnt a particularly rare guitar.
    5) Good stuff again, but why would it mean it has gone up in value????

Nah, i still reckon if its a good guitar, then hang onto it, and play it, and enjoy it. Dont count on it being worth more next year than it is today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

I believe I am quite a bit more qualified than a fair amount of the people here. (I'm sure this statement will get a lot a people rowdy now but I really couldnt care) Dude you can make a lot of money from this guitar. First of all put it up on Ebay, and put a reserve price of about $1000 - just to see what people will go up to. Personally I believe that there are a large number of Dimebag Darrell fans out there who all play guitar, and the large majority of them would be insane enough to pay this amount for the guitar.
    It may rise in value - all the guitars of deceased famous people generally do, but its price will have been at its peak at the time of his death.
    Anyhoo, try putting it up on Ebay.com, because in my personal experience the Americans will always pay a lot more (although in dollars) for a number of things including valuable guitars

I believe I am quite a bit more qualified than a fair amount of the people here.

Would you care to explain?

• Advertisement

Play in a band, have a BA in Music, worked in a musical instrument store, collect guitars and other instruments, repair guitars, teach guitar and piano, built a couple of guitars aswell. Live for guitar...thats all i suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I eat guitars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

weel its not mine, or chupacabra's its a guy in our bands, might just put it up with a super high reserve and then see what people go for, end of the day itd be free and wed get a rough estimate right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I am a guitar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

John2 wrote:
    I am a guitar

Can I flutter your tremelo arm? :D

Play in a band, have a BA in Music, worked in a musical instrument store, collect guitars and other instruments, repair guitars, teach guitar and piano, built a couple of guitars aswell. Live for guitar...thats all i suppose :)

Sorry, but that doesn't qualify you to toss claim you're better than everyone on this forum, especially on your third post. Reel back the ego back a wee bit and I'm sure we'll all get along :)

feylya wrote:
    Sorry, but that doesn't qualify you to toss claim you're better than everyone on this forum, especially on your third post. Reel back the ego back a wee bit and I'm sure we'll all get along :)

In fairness Fey, he didn't say that at all.

The "quite a bit more qualified than a fair amount of the people here" for someone on his third post is fairly "holier than thou" in my book especially when followed by "I'm sure this statement will get a lot a people rowdy now but I really couldnt care". Just stinks of ego imo and I don't like it.

Can I flutter your tremelo arm? :D

Yes but hands off the tone knob

Certainly, it is holier than though, and it definetly stinks of ego, but come on. We all know that nobody here comes close to me for musical instrument knowledge and overall talent, so his statement is redundant. I don't feel the need to challenge his statement because I know I'm better than everyone. ;)

• Advertisement

Karl Hungus banned for 2 weeks for general muppetry

:v:

feylya wrote:
    Karl Hungus banned for 2 weeks for general muppetry

:v:

:D

See? I'm so much better than everyone else that even bans don't work on me. All I have to do is whip out my guitar and play so fast that time warps around me, and I've served my entire 2 weeks ban in 5 minutes flat. :p

In seriousness though, I think putting the guitar on ebay with a decent reserve is the best bet, and some very sound advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Patricide wrote:
    weel its not mine, or chupacabra's its a guy in our bands, might just put it up with a super high reserve and then see what people go for, end of the day itd be free and wed get a rough estimate right?
    im sure its very much so against the rules to put up the guitar without intending to sell it.. what if someone bids over the reserve?

EDIT: o and its not free theres a listing charge and you need to signup with a credit card to vefiry your identity.. its quite homo sexual

Put a $3000 reserve on it. If you get over that, well... :D

There's a charge for putting a reserve on if I remember correctly

EDIT: 2% of the reserve up to €7000 and over €7000 is €140. You don't get it back if it doesn't sell (obviously to deter you from putting an insane reserve on to see how high bidding would go)

I take my statement back everyone. Thinking about it again, it did kind of sound a little bit egotistic, so I would like to apologise for being a bit of a (tone) knob.

Bonus points for the pun. Welcome to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Would hae thought the pun would ahve earned a ban myself...

Would hae thought the pun would ahve earned a ban myself...

Actually for every good pun you make, Doctor J gives you a guitar from his secret underground bunker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You still hoping to someday make a good one then? :p

Advertisement