Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Halogen Oven - Sunday Next €39.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Have seen in Dunnes Stores 2 days ago - €39.99:
    http://www.ogloszenia.gazeta.ie/media/162000/2910347_750x500.jpg

(its not my picture - I just grabbed one from internet with the one from Dunnes)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

zom wrote: »
    Have seen in Dunnes Stores 2 days ago - €39.99:
    http://www.ogloszenia.gazeta.ie/media/162000/2910347_750x500.jpg

(its not my picture - I just grabbed one from internet with the one from Dunnes)

yep looks exactly like the ALDI one - most probably all the same but re-branded with different names ....

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

I'm trying to decide if I should get one or not, I got a mini oven from ALDI recently and it's been doing a fair job, I would love to be able to cook chickens and stuff though!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Applause wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide if I should get one or not, I got a mini oven from ALDI recently and it's been doing a fair job, I would love to be able to cook chickens and stuff though!

We've that mini oven in the office & love it, I was trying to decide whether to get one too, and then found one on adverts for €18 so picked that up instead ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Do they save you money on electricity?

Yep, the halogen bulb heats up instantly so unlike an oven you dont have to leave it on for 40 minutes to heat up. When you lift the handle it turns off instantly. Dead handy if you want to stop cooking something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

syklops wrote: »
    Yep, the halogen bulb heats up instantly so unlike an oven you dont have to leave it on for 40 minutes to heat up. When you lift the handle it turns off instantly. Dead handy if you want to stop cooking something.

Our oven gets up to temperature in around 5 minutes.

I think your oven may be faulty ?

Our oven gets up to temperature in around 5 minutes.

I think your oven may be faulty ?

My own oven heats up quite quickly, some ovens I have used took ages to warm up. The one in the last place I lived took a while to come to temp. It was about the only thing in the house which did "work" albeit slowly. A modern oven should heat up reasonably quick, but not as quick as a halogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tempted by this one from Aldi as I was waiting for it to come up since before the summer. But now I look at my kitchen counter and between a microwave, slow cooker, toaster, kettle, coffee machine and soon to be coffee grinder I'm right out of space :mad: Think I might relegate the slow cooker to the cupboard as its only used every couple of weeks so I don't need it sitting there all the time.

Worth pointing out that the Andrew James model is currently reduced on Amazon to £35+£8 UK shipping and then €4 to Parcel Motel which brings it in at around €55 in total. Comes with a two year warranty and from what I can see a few more accessories such as a baking tray, steaming tray, skewers, spare bulb and recipe book.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Premium-Replaceable-WARRANTY/dp/B002LYQF7A/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1326458597&sr=1-1

I think I'll just go for the Aldi one as its a tenner cheaper and has a 3yr warranty. I'd never really use the steaming tray and theres plenty of recipes available online.

Just a question for owners- how do slices of bacon do in a halogen oven, do they curl up and spit fat everywhere ?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just a question for owners- how do slices of bacon do in a halogen oven, do they curl up and spit fat everywhere ?

good question, ive never tried cooking rashers in it - i hate bacon splashing up all over the place and i like flat bacon, i might try it one day before i decide on selling it. Im not to sure though if the wattage of the halogen element is stron enough to cook bacon, it might be seeing as it browns the skin of chicken ... i do like my bacon nice and crispy though, near on burnt! ;)

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Tempted by this one from Aldi as I was waiting for it to come up since before the summer. But now I look at my kitchen counter and between a microwave, slow cooker, toaster, kettle, coffee machine and soon to be coffee grinder I'm right out of space :mad: Think I might relegate the slow cooker to the cupboard as its only used every couple of weeks so I don't need it sitting there all the time.

Worth pointing out that the Andrew James model is currently reduced on Amazon to £35+£8 UK shipping and then €4 to Parcel Motel which brings it in at around €55 in total. Comes with a two year warranty and from what I can see a few more accessories such as a baking tray, steaming tray, skewers, spare bulb and recipe book.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Premium-Replaceable-WARRANTY/dp/B002LYQF7A/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1326458597&sr=1-1

I think I'll just go for the Aldi one as its a tenner cheaper and has a 3yr warranty. I'd never really use the steaming tray and theres plenty of recipes available online.

There is a bit of fat spitting but I never noticed them curling. Any bacon and sausage I did came out perfectly. Also love the instant stop feature. When doing sausages/bacon and the phone rings or theres a knock at the door, simply lift the handle. No chance of cremated bangers.
    Im not to sure though if the wattage of the halogen element is stron enough to cook bacon

The element is strong enough to roast beef. It will laugh at a slice of bacon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The element is strong enough to roast beef. It will laugh at a slice of bacon.

Just had a tea spluttering moment at that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Whoolesale cash & carry shop in Walkinstown Business Park has 2 versions - a smaller one and larger with additional stainless steel ring making it taller to cook bigger meals. They were selling these for 29.99 including VAT to everybody. All gone when we wanted to buy one more about month ago. Need some try, my first chicken burned out. :-) Otherwise saves a lot of electricity and my neighbour not using her usual owen any more for her big family.

al22 wrote: »
    ....a smaller one and larger with additional stainless steel ring making it taller to cook bigger meals. ....

yep the halogen oven i got from ALDI had the aluminium ring with it as well - its a big old bowl when you have to wash it, takes up a fair space in the dishwasher too

wife has said she done some rashers in it before - comes out ok but takes quite some time to cook and dries up all the juices so the bacon comes out dry all the juices flow to the bottom of the glass bowl - got to be healthier that way i suppose , but who wants healthy food eh it takes much better when its all greasy lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I got one last time around. It was okay but died after 10 months. I meant to bring it back but couldn't be arsed and just dumped it in the end. It wasn't capable of even cooking a pizza properly. Or pies!

might get one of these bad boys at ALDI if they have one this Thursday :

GRILL1.jpg

Saruman wrote: »
    I got one last time around. It was okay but died after 10 months. I meant to bring it back but couldn't be arsed and just dumped it in the end. It wasn't capable of even cooking a pizza properly. Or pies!

i remember we tried to cook casserole in it once - it was ****e, took ages to heat it up, tipped it into a saucepan in the end and cooked it ...

wife has said she done some rashers in it before - comes out ok but takes quite some time to cook and dries up all the juices so the bacon comes out dry all the juices flow to the bottom of the glass bowl - got to be healthier that way i suppose , but who wants healthy food eh it takes much better when its all greasy lol :D

I cook my rashers in a cake tin. No lost fat.

I've done pizza in mine and had no problems.

My parents one, the element went in it after just over a year, rang up Aldi and they couriered out a replacement.

I cook my rashers in a cake tin. No lost fat.

I've done pizza in mine and had no problems.

My parents one, the element went in it after just over a year, rang up Aldi and they couriered out a replacement.

Never thought of ringing them, that would have been a good idea.

Mad how you could do pizza, it never cooked the base because no hot air got to it. Didn't matter which tray it was on. The same with pies, in our out of their foil base. The bottom never cooked.

It was grand for sausages, rashers, breaded crap and was even pretty good at a whole chicken with a little practice.

might get one of these bad boys at ALDI if they have one this Thursday :

GRILL1.jpg

If that fails, try Lidl ;)

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    If that fails, try Lidl ;)
    oh yeah my mistake - lol , i do get a bit confused haha

these halogen oven things would be a killer if they had a halogen element at the bottom of the bowl as well as at the top....

these halogen oven things would be a killer if they had a halogen element at the bottom of the bowl as well as at the top....

And then things would fall down into the element and short it out.

They are pretty killer as it is.

And then things would fall down into the element and short it out....

possibly, but some small ovens have bottom elements - even if the element at the bottom was infra-red one as opposed to halogen element/bulb or maybe covered I reckon it would work, would just give it that extra bit of heat and also brown food underneath without having to stop halfway through and turn the food over to brown the bottom of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭phormium

I love mine, on my second one at this stage, originally paid big money for one from UK when they came out first. Have converted several people to them at this stage but they have their limitations and advantages. Ideal for single person households, my 85 yr old father uses his continually, no bending down to oven and he finds it really handy for the sausages he loves and won't give up.

They won't cook casseroles or brown the bottom of most things but there are plenty of other things they will do very well. I make wedges/chips a lot and cook chicken fillets in them or salmon which I love well roasted. They bake scones well too but in general are not suitable for baking. My sister has to turn on her large oven every day to cook nuggets for one kid who eats nothing else (don't ask!), have tried to convince her a halogen would be so much more efficient and quick for this but she just doesn't have the counter space.

If you have space they are well worth the money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We use ours for 2.1kg chicken, 40minutes upside down then 1.5hrs breast side up and perfect every time, lovely and brown

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do the sausages just cook in them or do you have to do as much turning and flipping as you would in a frying pan?

Thargor wrote: »
    Do the sausages just cook in them or do you have to do as much turning and flipping as you would in a frying pan?

I put the timer on, when it pings, turn the sausages, put on timer again, when it pings they should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't turn them or touch them while cooking, mind you I like them well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

I bought one today and roasted a chicken and some potatoes in it, they turned out amazing, the chicken was so juicy and the potato skins were crispy!

Advertisement