Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone ever had h.pylori

• 02-10-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone has had h.pylori I'm on a triple treatment two antibiotics and omeprazole for acid
    ?

Just wondering how long does it take to feel well again.
    Is it caused by stress been very stressed lately.
    What foods to eat while infection is there ?

Comments

cindrella wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone has had h.pylori I'm on a triple treatment two antibiotics and omeprazole for acid
    ?

Just wondering how long does it take to feel well again.
    Is it caused by stress been very stressed lately.
    What foods to eat while infection is there ?

H.pylori is a bacterial infection.It is not caused by stress but a bacteria. Avoid alcohol and smoking. Clean up your diet, avoid fatty or spicy foods whilst the ulcer is healing. Make sure to finish your antibacterial course. You should be feeling a lot better after a week. If not, go back to your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BlueFairy

I had h pylori a few years ago, it was a nasty period of time so I hope you feel better soon! And the triple therapy was tough going, but it did make me feel better. Stress won't cause an infection of h pylori, but my doc said that stress can indeed make it feel worse because of the effect that stress has on your stomach lining.

In any case, reducing the effect of stress on your body will make you feel better all round, so work on it not just for your stomach but for your whole body and mind :)

Foods to avoid while your stomach is still sore include: greasy, spicy and junk foods, caffeinated drinks and anything that raises the acidity of your stomach (like tomatoes, onions, mint, ginger, sugar, fizzy drinks, alcohol, drugs like neurofen) If you google the guidelines for an acid reflux diet it's basically the same thing. Drink plenty of water, stick to a simple balanced diet and don't skip meals.

It did take a little while to start feeling better, and I still have a sensitive stomach that flares up sometimes (runs in the family!). Be aware that sometimes coming off omeprazole can have the effect of returning symptoms, so it can be a good idea to come off it slowly and be patient while your stomach gets used to being off it.

I used to take a teaspoonful each of high quality manuka honey and aloe vera juice in the mornings on an empty stomach, about 30 mins before breakfast. The honey has been shown to kill h pylori, and combined with the aloe vera juice it can be very soothing for a sore stomach. Make sure they're compatible with whatever drugs you're taking if you decide to try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cindrella

BlueFairy wrote: »
    I had h pylori a few years ago, it was a nasty period of time so I hope you feel better soon! And the triple therapy was tough going, but it did make me feel better. Stress won't cause an infection of h pylori, but my doc said that stress can indeed make it feel worse because of the effect that stress has on your stomach lining.

In any case, reducing the effect of stress on your body will make you feel better all round, so work on it not just for your stomach but for your whole body and mind :)

Foods to avoid while your stomach is still sore include: greasy, spicy and junk foods, caffeinated drinks and anything that raises the acidity of your stomach (like tomatoes, onions, mint, ginger, sugar, fizzy drinks, alcohol, drugs like neurofen) If you google the guidelines for an acid reflux diet it's basically the same thing. Drink plenty of water, stick to a simple balanced diet and don't skip meals.

It did take a little while to start feeling better, and I still have a sensitive stomach that flares up sometimes (runs in the family!). Be aware that sometimes coming off omeprazole can have the effect of returning symptoms, so it can be a good idea to come off it slowly and be patient while your stomach gets used to being off it.

I used to take a teaspoonful each of high quality manuka honey and aloe vera juice in the mornings on an empty stomach, about 30 mins before breakfast. The honey has been shown to kill h pylori, and combined with the aloe vera juice it can be very soothing for a sore stomach. Make sure they're compatible with whatever drugs you're taking if you decide to try them.

Thank you I had been suffering pain in chest breastbone got sick a lot of bile in morning.
    On triple therapy at moment has eased pain have had pain in my arm neck and felt my pulse race so went back to the doctors blood pressure pulse ok must be me being stressed.I know its hard to not stress im trying.
    Just eating toast yogurts and probiotics mornings are the worst.
    Haven't been tested for h.pylori doctor is treating me for it tomorrow will be day 4 of antibiotics so hopefully things will improve.

Cinderella, trying not to be stressed isn't quite the way to approach it, it's more that you should take action to deal with what stress you're feeling. Squashing down the feelings won't help you, if you know what I mean. A yoga or meditation class would be a great start.

Hope you feel better soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I had it few years back - picked it up on holidays docs reckon. Casued terrible gastro issues for me until it was diagnosed eventually. The triple therapy is very effective and I've had no issues since and it certainly seems to have killed it all - that said pylori is a horrible dose.

• Advertisement

I had it few years back - picked it up on holidays docs reckon. Casued terrible gastro issues for me until it was diagnosed eventually. The triple therapy is very effective and I've had no issues since and it certainly seems to have killed it all - that said pylori is a horrible dose.
    Finished the therapy yesterday am a lot better than I was still have stomach issues and small pain in throat neck area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

hopefully that will be the last of it for you. Doc said to me it can be tough to beat it but fingers crossed for you

Still feeling bad not vomiting or anything but have this weird pain in neck shoulder area arm its dull pain in back as well.has anyone had this? Went back to doctor he said its not from h. Pylori but didn't give me a reason have it over two weeks stomach still not great flattuence odd stabbings pain I asked should I have more that seven days of antibiotics he said normally yes but didn't give me anymore.

He said if things don't settle down in a couple of months he will refer me for scope thinking of finding somewhere that does it private and paying for it no health insurance.

7 days of drugs is pretty standard treatment for h pylori. It might take a while for your stomach to heal from the irritation caused by the infection and the drugs, it won't instantly feel good again. Give it some time, and follow advice for eating/living for a sensitive stomach or acid reflux. Stressing about it will not help, so try to listen to your doctor and just take care of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Still feeling bad not vomiting or anything but have this weird pain in neck shoulder area arm its dull pain in back as well.has anyone had this? Went back to doctor he said its not from h. Pylori but didn't give me a reason have it over two weeks stomach still not great flattuence odd stabbings pain I asked should I have more that seven days of antibiotics he said normally yes but didn't give me anymore.

He said if things don't settle down in a couple of months he will refer me for scope thinking of finding somewhere that does it private and paying for it no health insurance.

Have you had your heart and surrounding arteries checked? Ulcer pains and cardio pains can be both very similar. I'd insist on getting an ecg done.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    Have you had your heart and surrounding arteries checked? Ulcer pains and cardio pains can be both very similar. I'd insist on getting an ecg done.

Done ecg two weeks ago and said all was ok before she treated me for h
    Pylori still have pain around shoulder arm neck area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have that dull pain in back, shoulder and arm and know it is this acid that cause it, also sore ear and throat from the side i lie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Scope is expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

yes i have had the scope done and have it done every three yrs and been told it is still there i just have to keep it in check, a night out kill me the following day

Advertisement