Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torn ACL + MCL + Cartilage

Options
  • 02-10-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Well here's my story;
    About 18 months ago I had my left ACL repaired went diligently through all the rehab both pre and post operation as prescribed by my physio and I was eventually given the ok to get back playing soccer.

However during my fourth match back I completely tore my right ACL with a slight tear to my medial.
    Recently had my operation but things turned out to be a lot worse, the MCL was completely torn and 50% of my cartilage needed to be removed anyway I've been told to really forget about going back to playing soccer, tennis, squash as my knees won't be able to take the twisting and turning.

Basically I'm wondering and would really like the input of anyone who has gone through this and what you do nowadays to keep yourself active and fit. I'm only in my early 20's and pretty disappointed I'll probably never play proper sport again.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

Bad luck for you.

I done in my left in '05 playing GAA & now do ultra distance running :).

I know 2 people with doubles ACL tears (L+R), the lady packed in sports altogether :( & the man has taken up triathalon & distance running :). All straight line stuff.

don't despair there are sports out there for us ACL casualties. good luck - don't go for number three, it ain't worth it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭maherro

Ive done both my left and right ACLs and my medials in the right. After the second one was repaired I was told to basically pack in the rugby as my knees couldn't take the twisting - pretty tough I have to admit!

As for keeping fit I simply train as if I was still able to play and that does it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

I've a ruptured achilles at the moment so I feel your pain.
    I know that it must seem horrible but I would say that you should maybe think about other activities besides sports. Have you thought about learning a musical instrument. It takes a lot of time and practice and is extremely rewarding.

Anyway sports wise if you can get back running which wont be twisting your knees as much as soccer I'd suggest triathlons. The cycle and swim part are low knee impact. The training is intense and because of the three diciplines you will stay very fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭standardtoaster

maherro wrote: »
    Ive done both my left and right ACLs and my medials in the right. After the second one was repaired I was told to basically pack in the rugby as my knees couldn't take the twisting - pretty tough I have to admit!

As for keeping fit I simply train as if I was still able to play and that does it for me!

Cheers, good to hear there someone else with equally bad knees!!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Well here's my story;
    About 18 months ago I had my left ACL repaired went diligently through all the rehab both pre and post operation as prescribed by my physio and I was eventually given the ok to get back playing soccer.

However during my fourth match back I completely tore my right ACL with a slight tear to my medial.
    Recently had my operation but things turned out to be a lot worse, the MCL was completely torn and 50% of my cartilage needed to be removed anyway I've been told to really forget about going back to playing soccer, tennis, squash as my knees won't be able to take the twisting and turning.

Basically I'm wondering and would really like the input of anyone who has gone through this and what you do nowadays to keep yourself active and fit. I'm only in my early 20's and pretty disappointed I'll probably never play proper sport again.

Cheers

Cycling all the way. No impact whatsoever. I tore my cruciate ligament about 10 years ago, had to stop playing all field and team sports. I started running a few years back and started damaging my knee cartridge. Then I started cycling and haven't looked back since. Highly recommend it and weight will fly off you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement