Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bass today... hmmm

Options
  • 12-07-2006 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

hey i got my new esp today, its the B-155 model and i got it from thomann for €379, its a pretty good deal since its 5 string, active and looks pretty good but im pretty damn unhappy about alot of things.

First off is something that i couldn't make any sense of at all.. the tip of the headstock had tape wrapped around it and when i took it off it revealed:
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/svenob/100_1661.jpg
    a crack and a chip in the gloss finish... i wasn't too happy at all about this, the volume knob is also loose and the strings which are painted black have been tarnished as if theyve been played alot, this pic is very unfocused but you might be able to see http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/svenob/100_1667.jpg

other than those 3 things tho its grand, i haven't had the chance to play it on an amp yet coz mines at the place where we practice..

the stock strings are pure ****E and the ESP pickups look grand but they have the REALLY tacky esp logo on them (not the normal logo, just writing) it would be alot better if they were just plain black

heres a full pic: http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/svenob/100_1663.jpg once again sorry about the lighting

im gonna write to thomann now and complain about the flaws but theyre a disgrace, i dont want to send it back tho because it'll take another month to get here, im just gonna demand some free stuff like strings.. which are needed BADLY for this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jaysus that's shocking, i'd be asking for more than some strings :p

love the bass though looks real nice. i especially like the black strings although stock strings normally suck balls (which you confirm this) they compliment the bass so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

hopefully be gettin a set of elixirs hehe.. plus a gig bag would be nice too

ya its sexy lookin and the strings are cool too but i cant imagine how paint can be good for the tone?

well i remember seeing someone here reccommend a webshop that did coloured strings, now whether or not they were any good is another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Looks like a nice bass, congrats man. TBH I'd avoid coloured strings altogether. If you can, get a set of Dean Markley SR2000 - the best, most defined B string I've ever played. The Elixirs that came on my 6 string bass were kind of meh, didn't like the B at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭billycox

Elixirs are nice until the "nano coating" starts peeling off and you end up with furry strings.

Id recommend GHS, and get 50 Gauge strings for nice string tension.

Also it sounds like that Bass was a display model, unless they stated that fact when you were buying it you should be intitled to a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

I'm using DR blue coated strings on my bass, and there ain't no difference. In fact the 'new string sound' lasted about twice as long as the uncoated strings I've used, and after 3 months they aren't dead yet. But then again, they're DR handmades.

My coating is wearing off on the E and A where I pick heavily, and under the strings over some of the frets, but it's not getting fuzzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

I just received a new ibanez soundgear bass from thomann yesterday. Sorry to hear you've had such trouble with them. Its not on, them sending you the bass in that state. Nice bass though, good price for a decent 5 sting too.
    I was well impressed with their service. I ordered my bass monday last week so it arrived in 8 days. I've had trouble ordering from other online places so i'm fairly happy. Hope they sort it out for you. Enjoy the bass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I've find thomann are great for aftersales service. They upped the price on my telecaster the day after i ordered it by €9, and it didnt come with the advertised gigbag, I complained (Not that I would have minded paying an extra €9 as it was still a good deal cheaper than anywhere else, i dont need a gigbag, already had a spare hardcase, im just a scabby fúcker :p) I rang them and they were extremely helpful, sent me a vintage style fender hardcase with leather ends and gave me €50 off of my next order as a gesture of goodwill. Thats as least €150 of free stuff. Seriously, dont be afraid to express your disapproval of their shoddy bass, demand a few sets of strings and a hardcase or threaten to make an official complaint and have them pay for return shipping and lose a sale over it. It pays to complain. Give them a ring, dont write to them, itll be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Well sven welcome to the ive had a bad experiance with thomann club you now join me and sheldon.Congrats.Drain em for all there worth man. ITs worth a shot right?

I've find thomann are great for aftersales service. They upped the price on my telecaster the day after i ordered it by €9, and it didnt come with the advertised gigbag, I complained (Not that I would have minded paying an extra €9 as it was still a good deal cheaper than anywhere else, i dont need a gigbag, already had a spare hardcase, im just a scabby fúcker :p) I rang them and they were extremely helpful, sent me a vintage style fender hardcase with leather ends and gave me €50 off of my next order as a gesture of goodwill. Thats as least €150 of free stuff. Seriously, dont be afraid to express your disapproval of their shoddy bass, demand a few sets of strings and a hardcase or threaten to make an official complaint and have them pay for return shipping and lose a sale over it. It pays to complain. Give them a ring, dont write to them, itll be ignored.
    hmm interesting.. a hardshell would be sweet... and jesus you only didn't get a softcase and you got one, i got a freakin cracked headstock, tarnished dead strings and a loose volume knob, i should get a load dont you think? i eamiled them yesterday...no responce.. :(

• Advertisement

Steoob wrote:
    hmm interesting.. a hardshell would be sweet... and jesus you only didn't get a softcase and you got one, i got a freakin cracked headstock, tarnished dead strings and a loose volume knob, i should get a load dont you think? i eamiled them yesterday...no responce.. :(
    allow at least a week fot thoman to respond to an e mail, thats how long it was for me anyway.

Call them, they are inundated with emails, ring the front desk and say you have a complaint to make. 0049954692230. Just rang them now to change an order (vavle jr. out of stock) and they were very helpful.

Call them, they are inundated with emails, ring the front desk and say you have a complaint to make. 0049954692230. Just rang them now to change an order (vavle jr. out of stock) and they were very helpful.
    do you have to request an english speaking representative or anything?

Steoob wrote:
    do you have to request an english speaking representative or anything?
    just say this to them...

Guten Tag. Sprechen Sie Englisch bitte? - good day, do you speak english?

or

Guten Tag, Ich mochte reden mit ein englischen leute. - good day, may i would like to speak to someone who speaks english.
    gooten-tag,ick mook-ta ray-den mitt ein englischer loy-ta.

i phonetically spelt the last one for ya, it's not perfect german but it will - should - get the job done

The guy i spoke to had a nordie accent :)

Cremo wrote:
    just say this to them...

Guten Tag. Sprechen Sie Englisch bitte? - good day, do you speak english?

or

Guten Tag, Ich mochte reden mit ein englischen leute. - good day, may i would like to speak to someone who speaks english.
    gooten-tag,ick mook-ta ray-den mitt ein englischer loy-ta.

i phonetically spelt the last one for ya, it's not perfect german but it will - should - get the job done
    haha you could have asked if i spoke german beofr eyou went to that trouble.. it was kinda patronising but sure your aaaaaalll right.. i speak german btw i just didn't want to be like "**** i cant remember what hello is" yaknow?

sorry if i offended ya :p

more than likely if you start off speaking in english they will too, after they do their answer the phone spiel.

Steoob wrote:
    haha you could have asked if i spoke german beofr eyou went to that trouble.. it was kinda patronising but sure your aaaaaalll right.. i speak german btw i just didn't want to be like "**** i cant remember what hello is" yaknow?
    you speak german i think not, broken german is very different from being able to speak it :D

eh ive been doin german for 5 years actually missus :p ah ****e i had a big of a congested day today are the phone lines open tomorrow?

Advertisement