Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eclipse 3.1 JSP Search

• 09-11-2005 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi All, we recently upgraded to Eclipse 3.1 in my company and I've come across something that is starting to really annoy me. Basically I want to find references to say a class name or a method name within the codebase, just do the usual which is highlight that name, right-click and select find references. So far so good, it finds me the references, but then it goes on to a "JSP Search - <name to find references to>". That's what the dialog box name changes to at this point, in the dialog there's a progress bar and above which there's an informational icon with the title Searching, below the progress bar it says "JSP: lookup indexes..." . Now I've no idea why it does this, we have 2 separate projects within the workspace, the front-end client project does contain jsp pages but this was never referenced in previous Eclipse versions, I've tried to exclude any possibility of a jsp search by restricting the reference search by working set, i.e. only search the project for the server, but to no avail. The reason this bugs me is that even if I cancel on this search, or select run in background and then click the stop icon, it can still take a few minutes to shut down, and until it does it really hogs my resources! The relevant search of the code that actually contains useful references takes seconds, but then this useless search that produces no visible result slows Eclipse noticeably until complete. Not very good when you’re trying to run a trace reference to navigate up through many layers of the code base. Does anyone please know of a way I can disable this, the Eclipse Help is useless on it, doesn’t seem to know a thing about it, I’ve also googled it and come up with nada. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Not sure if we are on the same version of Eclipse but try this - it works for me:

Highlight the method you are looking for and click Ctrl-H.
    The Search dialog box should pop up with the java tab open and your method in the search string.
    Click on 'References' in the 'Limit To:' box
    In the Scope Box click on 'Working set' and 'Choose', when a box pops up click on New and Java and select your project location (obviously pick a location without the jsps!) and give the working set a name. Click on OK and then search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Hi Homeowner, same result unfortunately . Actually that search you described is a alternative way of doing the one I described, tried it anyhow just in case ;) . thanks anyway, any chance you can check you Eclipse version by the way?

Its 3.0

Are you saying that if you specify a working set and the package with the Jsps is not in that working set, that it is still checking it?

homeOwner wrote:
    Its 3.0

Are you saying that if you specify a working set and the package with the Jsps is not in that working set, that it is still checking it?

yep, that seems to be precisely what it's doing, the working set I set up is purely java classes, but each time the same deal, I have no idea why or what it's doing, just know it's made searching for references a slow and painful process! On 3.0 mine worked exactly as you described, so looks like it maybe an "enhancement". On a side note if you're thinking of upgrading not sure if I'd recommend it, Eclipse has always been resource hungry but just about bearable if you've a decent development environment, this newest offering though is taking the p*ss somewhat, I've got 2gb ram and even say just shutting down Eclipse can bring my whole system to it's knees for a few minutes!

I'll be keeping away from 3.1 so.
    If I hear of a way to get around it I'll post again, I know some people who use 3.1

Sorry I couldnt have been more help.

• Advertisement

homeOwner wrote:
    I'll be keeping away from 3.1 so.
    If I hear of a way to get around it I'll post again, I know some people who use 3.1

Sorry I couldnt have been more help.

no worries mate, cheers for the reply anyway :) . And yeah, apart from a few nice new little features such as double clicking on a variable name in a class and all occurences of it being highlighted, from what I've seen so far I wouldn't see any need to rush out and upgrade. I'm sure there are many cool features I've yet to try out, tbh I'd still be happy coding away in Eclipse 2.0 if we weren't required to upgrade, the features I use everyday now were there then, the only difference is it didn't practically crash my machine, speaking of which some colleagues are now experiencing that regularly as a result of Eclipse.

Advertisement