Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

edging beds ideas

Options
  • 04-08-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

i am planning on constructing some shrub beds and i need some advice. the area is currently covered in hardcore (think thats what you call it)....since our house was built.

i was thinking of digging the hardcore away...what should i do then? i have a supply of top soil. should i add fertiliser? i want to bring the beds up to the level of the lawn which runs alongside the area...so the beds would be approx half a foot high....once i get rid of the stoney hardcore. what would grow in an area like this...is the depth adequate enough?

just wondering what you would recommend to edge the beds. i quite like railway sleepers. i'm not sure what else could be used. i can't seem to upload my photos here

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

i am planning on constructing some shrub beds and i need some advice. the area is currently covered in hardcore (think thats what you call it)....since our house was built.

i was thinking of digging the hardcore away...what should i do then? i have a supply of top soil. should i add fertiliser? i want to bring the beds up to the level of the lawn which runs alongside the area...so the beds would be approx half a foot high....once i get rid of the stoney hardcore. what would grow in an area like this...is the depth adequate enough?

just wondering what you would recommend to edge the beds. i quite like railway sleepers. i'm not sure what else could be used. i can't seem to upload my photos here

My girlfriend spent 2 full days picking out all the hardcore and gravel that the builder had buried/left from our build.She then rotivated the soil and then added in compost,manure and fertiliser.

New Pressure treated sleepers is what we used.

Compost,fertiliser and manure will be very good for the soil and plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MacOwen

you could use limestone rocks as edging, they look very well. fill with topsoil, it should be plenty high enough. fuscias and various other flowering shrubs would grow there! you will only have to put compost around the plants roots not the whole bed, unless the topsoil is of very poor quality! best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,109 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It depends on depth of the hardcore, but if you have a decent depth of soil on top a bit of loosened stones etc left in the bottom will not be a problem, will create good drainage. Dig it around a bit to mix in the subsoil then put the topsoil on top, bit of fertiliser is no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Railway sleepers being timber look well in a garden , can be difficult if you want round edges but look lovely on raised beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

thanks for the replies everyone.
    i will keep you posted. i am considering edging with either bricks or railway sleepers

paddy, i love the garden; i was looking at your photos on another thread last week. is that a birch tree in the first picture?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

thanks for the replies everyone.
    i will keep you posted. i am considering edging with either bricks or railway sleepers

paddy, i love the garden; i was looking at your photos on another thread last week. is that a birch tree in the first picture?

Thanks,my girlfriend did all the hard work.The tree is a 4.5 meter high multi stem birch tree.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hi countrywoman,

It sounds like a really good spot for an alpine bed if in enough sunlight. The hardcore, topped with good compost mixed with grit would be the ideal conditions for the likes of aubretia, saxifrage,sedum etc. and you wouldn't need very much depth at all.I done a similar job in my garden and used damaged paving slabs( which i got for free) and built a stone-like wall with them...looks really well. good luck whatever you decide.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Me too - great planting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

the gardenshop, it sounds like you did a lovely job!
    i am on the lookout for some nice brick at the minute, to edge the area, i have a load of topsoil ready to go in, and then i'll go plant shopping!

Advertisement