Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kilmarnock willow../holly

Options
  • 18-08-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Willow..when is the best time to dig up and transplant..it is about 3ft high???

Holly..I have been told best time to move this is in march...problem is 3 of them growing on top of each other as in only a couples of inches apart..any idea how i go about getting them out as at this stage they are intertwined....They are about 5ft high????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

littlemis wrote: »
    Willow..when is the best time to dig up and transplant..it is about 3ft high???

I transplanted one some years ago in September and it did very well. One thing about Willow make sure it's away from any water lines. The roots head for any water. That's the reason I had to transplant - my neighbour told me I had planted it originally too close to the water line.

I've never had any luck with moving a Holly so I can't say...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Willow will grow if you just put a bit of it in the ground. Thats why people who use willow for pea sticks find themselves with willow trees in the veg garden :D So ideally move it after the leaves have fallen, but its fairly hard stuff to kill.

Holly I would not attempt to move if it is more than a couple of feet high, if you feel you must try it, leave it till winter (November) but it does not take kindly to being moved. At 5ft high you might be better to just leave the three hollies to grow together.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

MarchDub wrote: »
    I transplanted one some years ago in September and it did very well. One thing about Willow make sure it's away from any water lines. The roots head for any water. That's the reason I had to transplant - my neighbour told me I had planted it originally too close to the water line.

I've never had any luck with moving a Holly so I can't say...

Oh jasus I could be giving it away..the bloody roots are going under the house..... as with the bloody rasberrys.in a crack under the window against the house wall and all i can do is break wont pull for me the bugger....The Gods only know where the Holly roots are.....Only discovered it this evening when i had to lift the slabs to get to the weeds.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the rootstock of kilmarnock willow, usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Look if you have a serious problem with willow or anything with roots affecting the house, don't mess about trying to move it, spray it with a systemic weedkiller/brushwood killer now while it still has leaves, then leave it till it dies off (could be a couple of weeks). Don't cut it down till it is completely dead. It may sprout again next year, in which case spray it again.

Holly would not usually be too invasive, but it will eventually grow into a good sized tree, so if it is too near the house, move it, take a chance on it.

Roots of willow etc can be a problem in themselves, but the main problem is that they take all the moisture out of the ground which can cause subsidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Kilmarnock Willow are not a big tree, they appear to be grafted on to a stem and will barely reach 6 foot. I have several and whilst they have thickened considerably, they are still under 5 foot tall, would not think their root system would be that invasive. they are not like the very large Weeping Willow trees that you see along river banks or canals in Dublin.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

secman wrote: »
    Kilmarnock Willow are not a big tree, they appear to be grafted on to a stem and will barely reach 6 foot. I have several and whilst they have thickened considerably, they are still under 5 foot tall, would not think their root system would be that invasive. they are not like the very large Weeping Willow trees that you see along river banks or canals in Dublin.

Secman

Oh belive me it is invasive..one part that was going under was as thick as a brush handle.

Advertisement