Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace Damaged Hedging

Options
  • 08-08-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

An odd one.

In the wee hours of this morning a car managed to crash into my hedge.

How do I go about replacing this so as it looks 'normal' ASAP.

Any suggestions?

Will the tree that was damaged survive and what can do to help it along?

From the outside of the hedge....
    img0119o.jpg

img0118bi.jpg

From inside my garden.....
    img0120hn.jpg

The damaged tree......
    img0115qud.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Shame the tree didn't stop the car! It will be ok, not enough bark has been removed to kill it. Leave alone and it will heal itself.

Your hedge does not seem to be broken, just pushed over. Can you push it back upright and support it with one of the wooden panels? or stretch a rope/strong cord between existing posts to do the same job. Maybe soak the ground/ base of shrub before straightening might allow them to go back to their former position without too much collateral damage.

Hope the birds were not traumatised in their house!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The hedge is most definitely broken and uprooted.

No birds nested this year so no homeless birdies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gardenman77

The hedge looks to be privet and so should recover well given a bit of grooming.
    It the roots are coming up as well, I suggest, clipping the hedge right back to near ground level. Then push back the base of the plant so the roots are pushing back into the ground. Using a spade, stab around those areas where the roots became dislodged while at the same time working in some good quality compost. This will serve to prune the roots, thereby encouraging re-rooting as fast as possible.
    By cutting back the hedge to near ground level, this will encourage new flushes of growth. A top-dressing of well rotted manure will help this along.

The only other alternative is to dig up the knocked plants, roots and all, add good quality compost and replant with replacement privet plants. Will probably take longer to fully seal the gap and will definitely cost more.

Plants are resilient, prune back and feed and your hedge will be looking a lot better this time next year.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gardening-Cured/121518484610150

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

Part of our hedge caught on fire back in january, was able to put it out before it spread too far. Will it grow back by its self or will i have to cut it back for new growth, thanks.

6050505802_3311b5328d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Looks a bit like leylandi and if not it is one of that family. The stuff that is burned will not grown back , you would be better removing the burned area and therefore allowing the light to get to the area that will regrow. It will probably look a bit odd but it is the best way ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement