Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

eZe^ wrote: »
    Best Barca 11 from the past 15 year? would be;

Zubizarreta

--L.Enrique---Koeman---Nadal---Sergi---

Guardiola

Laudrup
    Stoichkov

Rivaldo----Romario----Ronaldinho-

imo.

Pretty attacking. :pac::pac:

I reckon my Madridistas would win over two legs. A 3-3 draw at the Nou Camp, followed by a 4-1 crushing at the Bernabeu :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Are you for real? Your team is basically the team Real had at the start of the 00's, (bar Ramos), that team had a shocking record at the Camp Nou, thus you'd lose 3-1 at the Camp Nou. However, my team is a mix of the Cruyff dream team/ the best of Gaspart/ the best of Rijkaard. Rijkaard had a great record at the Bernabeu, I could see us sneaking at least a draw at the Bernabeu, thus it's my Barca team that wins. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Some pics from tonights game at the Calderon.

Some more.

Are you for real? Your team is basically the team Real had at the start of the 00's, (bar Ramos), that team had a shocking record at the Camp Nou, thus you'd lose 3-1 at the Camp Nou. However, my team is a mix of the Cruyff dream team/ the best of Gaspart/ the best of Rijkaard. Rijkaard had a great record at the Bernabeu, I could see us sneaking at least a draw at the Bernabeu, thus it's my Barca team that wins. :D
    The team at the start of this decade that won a CL semi final at the Nou Camp, and also won there in the league and ended a 20 year barren run!

Anyway...

Casillas > Zubi
    Ramos = Enrique (better as a midfielder or striker)
    Hierro > Koeman
    Cannavaro > Nadal
    Carlos > Sergi
    Redondo > Guardiola (although it's pretty damn close)
    Laudrup > Seedorf
    Figo > Stoichkov
    Raul > Rivaldo
    Zidane > Ronaldinho
    Ronaldo > Romario

So in theory they should crush your erratic mish mash of forwards.

• Advertisement

More.

More.

Some More.

Casillas > Zubi
    Ramos = Enrique
    Hierro = Koeman
    Cannavaro > Nadal
    Carlos > Sergi
    Redondo < Guardiola (Guardiola was more effective in attack and defense)
    Laudrup > Seedorf
    Figo < Stoichkov
    Raul = Rivaldo
    Zidane > Ronaldinho
    Ronaldo > Romario

Imo, and Ronaldinho from 2004-2006 was better than any period from Zidane's playing career, Zidane edges it because of consistency. Also, Ronaldo is definitely superior to Romario, but Romario was imo a better finisher, and would be just as effective infront of goal with the likes of Laudrup supplying him as Ronaldo was with Zidane. Koeman was everybit as good as Hierro, and Rivaldo is a better footballer than Raul imo.

Also the fact that you put Redondo in that team instead of Makalele was a big mistake, Redondo got too forward too much, and wouldn't be able to handle the defensive duties. So your team is just as imbalanced if not more so than mine.

Last one's.

• Advertisement

Casillas > Zubi
    Ramos = Enrique
    Hierro = Koeman
    Cannavaro > Nadal
    Carlos > Sergi
    Redondo < Guardiola (Guardiola was more effective in attack and defense)
    Laudrup > Seedorf
    Figo < Stoichkov
    Raul = Rivaldo
    Zidane > Ronaldinho
    Ronaldo > Romario

Imo, and Ronaldinho from 2004-2006 was better than any period from Zidane's playing career, Zidane edges it because of consistency. Also, Ronaldo is definitely superior to Romario, but Romario was imo a better finisher, and would be just as effective infront of goal with the likes of Laudrup supplying him as Ronaldo was with Zidane. Koeman was everybit as good as Hierro, and Rivaldo is a better footballer than Raul imo.

Also the fact that you put Redondo in that team instead of Makalele was a big mistake, Redondo got too forward too much, and wouldn't be able to handle the defensive duties. So your team is just as imbalanced if not more so than mine.
    I reckon my Madridistas would be near unbeatable, but you make some interesting points. I vote for a poll...

kinaldo wrote: »
    I reckon my Madridistas would be near unbeatable, but you make some interesting points. I vote for a poll...

Nah, you'd destroy me in a poll, this forum would see Ronaldo and Zidane and vote straight away for your team. I'd say 5 people here know Laudrup and Stoichkov... :pac:

Also, your madridista team is excellent, but they never won the league and CL in the same season, which is a pretty interesting point...

Nah, you'd destroy me in a poll, this forum would see Ronaldo and Zidane and vote straight away for your team. I'd say 5 people here know Laudrup and Stoichkov... :pac:

Also, your madridista team is excellent, but they never won the league and CL in the same season, which is a pretty interesting point...
    Ah yes, but the bulk of my team alone won 3 European Cups in 5 seasons, which is more than FC Barca have in their entire history!!

I do remember Stoichkov well, great player that he was, but I would take Figo over him everytime. I think you're perhaps letting emotions get in the way of reason there... :)

Sure Figo should be in both teams!

True, but I also think Ronaldo's best ever season as a footballer was for F.C Barcelona, and the same could be said for Figo. So realistically I think they'd be a good shout for Barca's team, but Figo is a an dirty Portugese ..... so you can have him. :pac: My team also is missing Overmars, Kluivert, Van Bommel, Deco, Xavi, Eto'o, Puyol, Marquez, José Mari Bakero, Txiki Beguiristáin, Jon Andoni Goikoetxea, Gheorghe Hagi.

Realistically I think a hybrid of both those teams would be better than a team made up of players from any of the other players from world football in that time period. Taking each player for their best ever season;

Casillas

--L.Enrique
    Koeman
    Hierro(C)
    Carlos--

Makalele

Laudrup
    Zidane

Rivaldo
    Ronaldo
    Ronaldinho

I think that team would be basically unbeatable. If only I could think of a proper RB though. Alves may make that in the next 5 years.

True, but I also think Ronaldo's best ever season as a footballer was for F.C Barcelona, and the same could be said for Figo. So realistically I think they'd be a good shout for Barca's team, but Figo is a an dirty Portugese ..... so you can have him. :pac: My team also is missing Overmars, Kluivert, Van Bommel, Deco, Xavi, Eto'o, Puyol, Marquez, José Mari Bakero, Txiki Beguiristáin, Jon Andoni Goikoetxea, Gheorghe Hagi.

Realistically I think a hybrid of both those teams would be better than a team made up of players from any of the other players from world football in that time period. Taking each player for their best ever season;

Casillas

--L.Enrique
    Koeman
    Hierro(C)
    Carlos--

Makalele

Laudrup
    Zidane

Rivaldo
    Ronaldo
    Ronaldinho

I think that team would be basically unbeatable. If only I could think of a proper RB though. Alves may make that in the next 5 years.
    You're leaving Makalele with a **** load of work to do when they lose the ball! That's why I had the underrated Seedorf alongside Redondo, far more balanced. I like the idea of hybrid but not if it leaves out the Portuguese maestro!

Ramos or Salgado are both good enough for right back. Enrique for the bench, the little traitor!

Also, Overmars, along with Petit, was a bit of a flop at Barca, no?

Figo can suck a d*ck, he's not getting in ahead of arguably one of the top 3 most naturally talented footballers in the past 20 years. :D Overmars was alright at Barca, it's just he was over priced, and was part of a terrible terrible regime. So he never lived up to the reputation, but he wasn't as an epic failure as the likes of Petit!

Under-pressure Barcelona face an improved Mallorca side in their Copa del Rey semi-final second leg as they attempt to break their run of four matches without a win.

The league leaders have a 2-0 advantage from February's first leg at the Camp Nou but in contrast to Barcelona's recent poor showing, Mallorca have won their last three league matches and moved out of the relegation places into 16th.

Barca defender Sylvinho said the poor results, including the 4-3 loss at Atletico Madrid when the Catalans twice surrendered the lead, would not affect their performance.

"This is a different competition and we won't be suffering from any damage to our spirits because of what happened on Sunday," the Brazilian said on Barca's website.

"It could be a problem if we think about the result in the first leg so we have to play our normal game and concentrate on attacking to win the match but it will be difficult."

They were confident of reaching May's final, he added, when they will face either Athletic Bilbao or Sevilla, who play in Bilbao.

Barca's advantage over champions Real Madrid in the league was 12 points when they won the Copa first leg on February 5 but the form that helped them amass 65 goals and concede just 15 in the 21 league matches up to that point has deserted them

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has told the club's players and supporters not to panic after successive defeats cut their lead over Real Madrid to only four points.

Earlier in February La Liga leaders Barca were 12 points clear of Madrid.

But since their 2-0 Clasico defeat in Juande Ramos's first match in charge, Los Merengues have won 10 Liga matches on the trot, while Los Cules slumped to defeats at home to local rivals Espanyol and - despite leading 2-0 and 3-2 during the match - at Atletico Madrid.

"We have had a big advantage and Real Madrid have cut it back by eight points in three weeks. But we will continue forward," said Guardiola. "We lost a game which was up and down, very exciting and I have to give credit to Atletico but we will now continue as before.

"Atletico play a very direct style of football and it caused problems. It was a game with plenty of chances, typical of an Atletico Madrid versus Barcelona game."

Atletico coach Abel Resino, whose team occupy fifth place, singled out his players' battling qualities.

"Against a good side we had a first half where we maintained our composure despite the onslaught. Each day I feel as though we are getting better and the team has shown character," he said.

"We never eased off despite being 2-0 down. Sergio Aguero was sensational and his attitude has been contagious."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02032009/58/la-liga-guardiola-sees-need-panic.html

Some good news though is that Iniesta is on his way back and considering how the team has not won since his injury hopefully his return will help turn things around.

The highly sought-after Brazilian has professed his admiration for the Blaugrana and has given a glimpse of where his future lies...
    3 Mar 2009 06:13:46

One of Brazil’s hottest young prospects, Keirrison, has admitted that he has always dreamt of playing for Barcelona.

The Catalan juggernauts had shown a keen interest in the 20-year-old before he chose to remain in his native Brazil by joining Palmeiras on loan from Coritibia. It has been widely tipped that his next immediate move could be a long-awaited jump to Europe, and the striker has made no attempt to hide who he would love to play for most.

“Since I was little, I have always identified myself with one particular country and one great club. I have nothing against the other teams, but I have always seen myself playing for Barcelona,” he was quoted as saying by Sport.

“I have watched Romario and Ronaldo play for them in the past and that made me aspire to want to play for a great club like Barca.

“I have also dreamt about playing alongside someone like Lionel Messi one day.”

Keirrison, who has already found the net nine times in six games for Palmeiras, has been linked to a number of other heavyweight clubs in Europe including Real Madrid, Liverpool, Roma and Bayern Munich.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2009/03/03/1135691/keirrison-i-would-love-to-play-with-lionel-messi-at-barcelona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I hope Henry, Etoo, Messi, Xavi, Puyol and dani Alves are rested for the game againsy Mallorca. I know the squad is fairly thin and that will stretch it, but priorities are the league and the CL. Witha 2 goal advantage going into this game, Barca should be okay with resting the above. But in saying that, I am struggling to think who would play up front? Bojan andwho else? Gudjonnsen?

Jesus brother they are in a bad run of form at present. No way would I rest that lot and risk being knocked out and getting another media bashing. If anything it would only dent there confidence even further. Best to go out and win convincingly even if only to get morale back up after four games without a victory. Some good news as regards next weeks Madrid derby though is that Pepe and Sneijder are both suspended so hopefully "Kun" can work his magic again and do Barca a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I see what you mean, but these same players look tired. There are two far more important games than Mallorca on the horizon in Bilboa and Lyon both at the Camp Nou just days after the cup game. It would do no harm at all to rest (at least a few of) them and have their batteries well recharged.

Maybe Hleb will finally step up :)

Maybe you are right but Messi only had a rest recently when Pep chose not to start him and keep him on the bench for a couple of games just before the bad results started. I was surprised Busquets didnt play on sunday. The Lyon game will be tough but anyone who thought otherwise is a fool as I remember how hard Man utd had it against Lyon last season in the knockouts. All it takes is a free-kick from Juninho or a poachers goal from Benzema to turn the tie on its head.

eZe^ as if by magic the hated one must have heard your ramblings yesterday ! :D

I Didn't Want To Leave Barcelona - Luis Figo
    The Inter Milan star has claimed he never wanted to leave the Catalan club...
    3 Mar 2009 16:53:08

Luis Figo has backed up comments made to Sport recently by telling El Pais that he "wanted to stay at Barcelona" rather than move to Real Madrid.

The Portugal star was involved in a bitter move between the two clubs that saw him become one of the most hated men in Catalonia.

He explained his mistake today and said that he never wanted to leave Barcelona when he did.

"I didn't lie when I said that I wanted to stay with Barcelona. I wanted to remain there and the president also knew that," he declared.

"My only mistake back then was to say in an interview that I would not go."

Figo claimed that he did not say the truth at the time because he "had to take the decision" and because once he had completed the deal with Real Madrid it served no purpose as it would not help at all.

"I could not change the opinion of the people because I could not compete with the press, the president...Out of 80,000 people, only 5,000 would believe me" he mused.

"I take responsibility for it. It is normal that if I go to Barcelona, people will hate me."

The Portuguese midfielder did admit that when he retires he would like to return to Barcelona though, even he if he will not get a warm reception.

"When I retire I will visit Barcelona again. They may not ask me for autographs, but I will will return. I continue to have a lot of respect for the fans, I have a Catalan daughter and I knew my partner there...For, it is an important place, and I am proud to have played there. They were five good years of my life," he explained.

Lastly, Figo spoke about the current regime and said he would like like Pep Guardiola to "do well and win titles" because above all else, "friends come first".

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2009/03/03/1136540/i-didnt-want-to-leave-barcelona-luis-figo

Barca abandon MLS franchise bid
    Wednesday, 4 March 2009 11:49

Barcelona's plans to launch a Major League Soccer franchise in Miami are dead, MLS confirmed last night.

Barcelona had joined with local entrepreneur Marcelo Claure to launch an application for one of two expansion franchises MLS plans to add in the coming seasons.

Despite strong competition for the franchises, Barcelona's involvement catapulted Miami to the front of the queue, ahead of cities like St Louis and Vancouver that have been in the running for several years.

However, the move lost momentum in recent days after Claure flew to Barcelona for emergency talks, which were declared dead last night.

'After extensive discussions and collaborative evaluation, a decision was made at this time because it was determined that it was not feasible to launch a Major League Soccer team in South Florida in 2010 due to adverse market conditions,' said a statement issued through MLS.

The news came on the same day that Miami FC, who play in the United Soccer League, moved to the verge of dissolution after selling only 750 season tickets, well short of a 5,000 target.

However, the statement added that Barcelona remain interested in entering the North American market in the near future.

'Notwithstanding, FC Barcelona remains committed to Major League Soccer and the US market and will continue to work with MLS and Marcelo Claure on other soccer-related projects,' the statement added.

Barcelona already have a marketing agreement in place with MLS division Soccer United Marketing.

While there is no shortage of candidate cities ready to step in, the news will come as a blow to MLS, which would have loved to have had Barcelona's global branding power to help the expansion of the league.

'I want to thank both FC Barcelona and Marcelo Claure for the tremendous effort to bring an MLS expansion team to Miami,' said MLS Commissioner Don Garber.

'FC Barcelona is one of the best managed and strategically operated sporting clubs in any sport in the world and I appreciate the opportunity that we have had to work with them and Marcelo Claure over the last few months.'

The Seattle Sounders will join as the 15th MLS club when the new season starts later this month. A Philadelphia team will join in 2010.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0304/barcelona.html

The team at the start of this decade that won a CL semi final at the Nou Camp, and also won there in the league and ended a 20 year barren run!

Anyway...

Casillas > Zubi
    Ramos = Enrique (better as a midfielder or striker)Hierro > Koeman
    Cannavaro > Nadal
    Carlos > Sergi
    Redondo > Guardiola (although it's pretty damn close)
    Laudrup > Seedorf
    Figo > Stoichkov
    Raul > Rivaldo
    Zidane > Ronaldinho
    Ronaldo > Romario

So in theory they should crush your erratic mish mash of forwards.

In theory you are way wide of the mark. Your analysis is not subjective at all.

Seeing as Ronaldos best ever season was the year he played for Barca, and given he was poor relative to this for Madrid, I say Romario > Ronaldo. OR both teams get the Ronaldo that played for them and Barcas> Madrids. Same goes for Figo.

Cannavaro was greater than Nadal WHEN HE WAS IN ITALY. He's been a huge let down for Madrid.

Ramos > Enrique is taking the p1ss. Ramos is savage but Enrique was amazing.

Redondo > Pep is again nonsense. Redondo was more creative sure but in this system that eZe suggested, Pep is far more effective.

In theory you are way wide of the mark. Your analysis is not subjective at all.

Seeing as Ronaldos best ever season was the year he played for Barca, and given he was poor relative to this for Madrid, I say Romario > Ronaldo. OR both teams get the Ronaldo that played for them and Barcas> Madrids. Same goes for Figo.

Cannavaro was greater than Nadal WHEN HE WAS IN ITALY. He's been a huge let down for Madrid.

Ramos > Enrique is taking the p1ss. Ramos is savage but Enrique was amazing.

Redondo > Pep is again nonsense. Redondo was more creative sure but in this system that eZe suggested, Pep is far more effective.
    Ok, I'll bite.

Ronaldo's greatest season was at Barca, true, but he also scored well over 100 goals for Madrid and was their top scorer every season there. He was more of a Madridista in the end, and Barca already have Romario, who was just as great as Ronaldo in a different kind of way. Romario is the best and most natural finisher I've ever seen, but Ronaldo could do it all on his own, a phenomenon, as they say.

Figo also spent more time at Madrid, is a Madrid legend, and Barca don't want him back. Michael Laudrup is not a bad compensation though, is it?

I didn't say Ramos was greater than Enrique, I said equal. Truth be told I think Ramos is an amazing talent and will become a great player, while Enrique was a great player but not as a defender. Ramos has so much talent going for him, but is still very young and lacks discipline. I also think it's an insult to Enrique having him in at rb.

As for Cannavaro, he had a wobbly start but looks far more comfortable now. No defender will ever truly shine in the colours of Madrid or Barca, such is the nature of their play. He sometimes gets exposed but still shows his quality. Madrid had a great defensive record last season, he's won 2 titles there in his 2 seasons, could be 3 in 3 soon. Hardly a coincidence. Nadal was a beast, and a fine player, but Cannavaro is a far superior defender.

With regards Redondo, what do you want me to do, leave out the best midfield player I've ever seen? Alongside Seedorf in midfield, they conquered Spain and Europe, not even Ronaldo, Figo and Enrique's heroics in Barcelona that year could stop them.

I leave you with these two beautiful tributes to one of the finest and most underrated (outside Spain) midfielders of his generation, a true legend and Madridista.

Doesnt sound good for young Bojan as the club could have said they were not interested in any offers and chose not to. He has had a very stop/go season to be honest and a loan spell could do him the world of good.

Barca confirm Bojan interest

Barcelona have confirmed to skysports.com that clubs have made contact with them about starlet Bojan Krkic.

However, the Spanish giants insist that nothing has been decided over the 18-year-old's future.

Tottenham, as well as the likes of Villarreal, Paris Saint Germain and Ajax, have been linked with possible some moves for the international striker, who has seen his chances at Camp Nou limited this season.

But Barca insist nothing has yet been decided, despite reports in Spain that coach Pep Guardiola is happy to let him leave on loan next season.

A club source told skysports.com: "Bojan Krkic is a player who has a deal with Barcelona and is very much part of the squad.

"Nobody has decided anything about his future.

"Some clubs have asked about Bojan, but until the end of the season we will not even visit this subject."

The player's father, Bojan Krkic senior, also insisted that his son wanted to continue to try and make his mark in Catalunya.

"We are calm because I am convinced my son will get his chance and will triumph," he said.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_5008818,00.html

Laporta - Cesc has Barca at heart

Barcelona president Joan Laporta believes Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas would be a 'big player' for the club.

Fabregas has repeatedly been linked with a return to Barcelona, having originally left the Catalan giants as a 16-year-old to join Arsenal.

Reports have claimed that Barca will launch a big-money bid to bring the midfielder back to Camp Nou at the end of the season.

Though Laporta would not be drawn on any imminent attempt to sign Fabregas, he expressed his admiration for the 21-year-old.

Praise
    "Although he is with another club, I have always praised Fabregas," Laporta told Spanish radio station Punto Radio.

"He was born in Catalonia and has become a better player since leaving the club.

"But I feel he has this club at his heart and understands the type of passing football we like to play.

"The technical staff will decide on any movement for him, but there is no doubt he would be a big player for us."

Fabregas is currently sidelined with a knee injury suffered against Liverpool in December, but the Spain international is targeting a comeback early next month.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5017522,00.html

I wouldn't worry about Real, they'll be back as usual. In the meantime they can focus on claiming their 3rd liga title on the spin as the fixtures pile up for under pressure Barca. Florentino Perez will return in the summer and spend big. It wouldn't surprise many to see the likes of Kaka and Fabregas at the Bernabeu next season.

If Fabregas ever puts on the white shirt I will eat my hat. That boy is a Catalan through and through. He has said he wants to play for Barca at some point and they have openly expressed their interest in bringing him back home. As for Real and a third la liga I would not be so sure. I think Barca just had their blip and its back to business now. A win tomorrow night coupled with increasing their lead over Real at the weekend and Real's whipping tonight will be more than enough to change the press attitudes towards Barca and their supposed impending meltdown.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    If Fabregas ever puts on the white shirt I will eat my hat. That boy is a Catalan through and through. He has said he wants to play for Barca at some point and they have openly expressed their interest in bringing him back home. As for Real and a third la liga I would not be so sure. I think Barca just had their blip and its back to business now. A win tomorrow night coupled with increasing their lead over Real at the weekend and Real's whipping tonight will be more than enough to change the press attitudes towards Barca and their supposed impending meltdown.
    I think Barca's fixture pile up and impending trip to the Bernabeu will ensure it's a close race, at the very least.

As for Fabregas, never say never. One Luis Figo didn't want to leave Barcelona at the time, and we all know how that turned out. That's how good Perez is at getting his man. And with Xavi and Iniesta already at Barcelona, they don't need Fab at all.

Advertisement