Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curing Salt

Options
  • 23-07-2014 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Does anyone know where I can get curing salt for making Rashers. It's called Cure#1, prague powder, pink salt and it also has a few other names.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Amazon

Though whether you can get it shipped to Korea I don't know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you google "curing salt Korea", it throws up a load of links :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you get a pork loin and slice it then salt the slices you will get rashers.
    If you aren't planning on storing the rashers for long it will be fine.
    You only need to draw out a small amount of water for them to taste and cook like rashers.
    The only side effect is that the lack of saltpetre will mean the rashers aren't as pink as shop bought ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi OP - I am a bit confused, as other posters may be regarding your location. In one post you mention that you will be soon leaving Ireland for Asia (ergo you still have the opportunity to purchase what you are looking for locally), yet in another post from the same day you say that you are already in Asia (ergo need Asian sources for what you wish to purchase).

If you could clarify where you are, then maybe we could offer more pertinent advice/answers to your queries.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 9 patricklh

I'm on holidays in Ireland at the moment but will be back in Korea soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That helps. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

The exiles hunger for rashers is mighty!

Been there , done that and heard madder stories about the lengths people will go to to get them (Diplomatic Bags to Scandanavia and the Saudi Secret Rasher Railway).
    They will still be here when you come home and they will taste even better for the longing.

Seriously though would it not be easier and more authentic to try one of the many "Irish Food Hamper" type companies. Besides, from my memory Korea do a pretty mean ham/bacon of their own, albeit a bit fatty.

Many a vegetarian has been turned by the power of the Rasher!

The rasher is mightier than the vegetable!

Cedrus wrote: »
    The exiles hunger for rashers is mighty!

Been there , done that and heard madder stories about the lengths people will go to to get them (Diplomatic Bags to Scandanavia and the Saudi Secret Rasher Railway).
    They will still be here when you come home and they will taste even better for the longing.

Seriously though would it not be easier and more authentic to try one of the many "Irish Food Hamper" type companies. Besides, from my memory Korea do a pretty mean ham/bacon of their own, albeit a bit fatty.

I not only miss a good rasher when I'm away, I am also trying to learn how to cure and smoke my own meat. I know it is easier to buy them in a shop and probable cheaper but this way I can make it how I like it.

• Advertisement

patricklh wrote: »
    I not only miss a good rasher when I'm away, I am also trying to learn how to cure and smoke my own meat. I know it is easier to buy them in a shop and probable cheaper but this way I can make it how I like it.
    There is a book you can buy on Amazon called Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman Its worth reading to get some insight into processes.
    Another old but good one is called French Pork Cookery by Jane Grigson.

Both explain the principles of meat curing and have some excellent recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

patricklh wrote: »

I hear you.

Biltong is my current DIY quest, can't get it in the Real Capital, but I'm struggling with the seasoning and getting it dry enough that it keeps without being chokingly salty.

It was decent bread that I missed most when I lived in Asia, oh for a breadmaker then, not that I didn't spend silly money for poor quality sausages and rashers at food fairs and in 'western' delis.

Biltong, I got a kg bag of Crown Royal biltong mix and have made it a few times now, I gave some to some SA friends and they were very happy with it and wanted to buy more.
    My drying box is a cardboard box with holes in the bottom with insect mesh over them to stop flies getting in.
    A 60w incandescent bulb and a computer fan provide heat and airflow.
    Drying takes about a week depending on humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

I have the River Cottage book on curing and found it very good. In a rush of enthusiasm I went and bought a humidifier and temp/humidity controller and just need to get a 2nd hand fridge to get me set up.

In the past, I've cured duck breasts very simply using Raymond Blanc's suggestion (google Raymond Blanc Duck Ham). I've also done this with tuna and it was lovely.

F.

Advertisement