Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Uneven tyre wear rear - VW Golf Mk4

Options
  • 01-04-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

I have uneven tyre wear on the rear inner side passenger side of my mk4 golf gti. I feel as if there's a rear bushing or maybe shock knackered (especially when i hit a bump or pothole). There are bridgestones on the rear and I have recently had 4 wheel alignment done. When the guy was doing the alignment he said there was a problem with this wheel but didn't say what it was.
    How can I check if the shock is knackered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

If you are hearing knocking or banging when going over potholes then the rear beam bushes probably need replacing. If you are having them done then fit Skoda Fabia VRS bushes instead of standard Mk4 items as they the same price but are stronger and will improve the handling and last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Thanks George. As it passed the NCT a few months ago and the suspension test on the rear was 46mm on left and 45 mm on right, I presume the shocks are okay. I will bring it to my mechanic to check the rear bushes. Would worn bushes be the cause of the uneven inner tyre wear do you think?

When the bushes are worn tyres will often wear unevenly yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Thanks George. Is there a difference in rear beam bushes and wishbone bushes or are they the same part but just a different name?

Wishbone bushes usually refer to the bushes in the front wishbones.

Rear beam bushes are the bushes in the rear axle itself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement