Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pc jack questions.

• 18-05-2009 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I got a new computer and i have a couple jack questions.
    First above the usb slots theres a jack that looks like an rca male would have fit into but not quite.
    It had a symbol that looked like a squished up sine wave with an arrow going through it (like a wiggly line going up and down up and down)

Second is the audio card: I have 5.1 speakers (i think) I have 3 wires. A green for audio and yellow and black for which i'm not sure)

Now my new sound card has 3 holes and THEN a green hole and then a pink.
    So if i plug everything in with a mic for the pink theres a hole spare.. Is this for a 7.1 speaker system? I've plugged the black and yellow in on the 2 spots clostest to the edge with a plug inbetween empty and then the green one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Photos would help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

i tried taking them on my phone but they all came out rubbish... lightings all bad no matter how hard i tried. I'm really mostly interested in the one above the usb holes
    xps_720_h2c_back_light.jpg

Edit: found one

xps700_shots_red_525x265.jpg
    second is a little harder to see but you can just about see all the holes for the audio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I'll wager that's an SPDIF connector. SPDIF is used for bringing (non-decoded) audio data to your 5.1 surround speaker decoder, and tends to be done over Optical (that's the square-ish one above the keyboard and mouse ports) or Coax (the circular one between USB and keyboard/mouse)

Advertisement