Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

flahavaj wrote: »
    I was shouted down at the start of the season when I dared suggest the Barca squad might be a little light on numbers, but I stand by that.

Ya, this has become apparent already. There was literally nothing on the bench last night in an attacking sense. All due respect to Nolito and Jeffren and all that.

I also think Pep made a mistake in subbing Keita rather than Mascherano. Keita could have slotted back to fill in the holding position and he is able to cross the halfway line as well.

On the positive side, I did think that Thiago looked lively when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Xavi came on after 70 mins of the Spain match so good news there. Iniesta and Villa scored plus Llorente got the winner. Hard luck on the Scots losing 3-2 after being 2-2 due to a Puyol own-goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Was it not pablo hernandez? I don't remember seeing Xavi on the pitch. I'm nearly certain he was left out of the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Warper wrote: »
    Xavi came on after 70 mins of the Spain match so good news there. Iniesta and Villa scored plus Llorente got the winner. Hard luck on the Scots losing 3-2 after being 2-2 due to a Puyol own-goal.

Pablo came on and it was Pique who scored the own goal.

Pique's run and lofted pass in stoppage time was a thing of beauty. He would make for an excellent midfielder, aside from being a top class defender.

As a United fan it really saddens me that we let him leave, though I understand the reasons for doing it at the time.

Warper wrote: »
    Xavi came on after 70 mins of the Spain match so good news there. Hard luck on the Scots losing 3-2 after being 2-2 due to a Puyol own-goal.

Pretty certain Xavi didn't play any part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

gimmick wrote: »
    Pretty certain Xavi didn't play any part.

and it was a Pique own goal...

Oops ye are right - I got it off the BBC report last night. They have changed it from Puyol to Pique for the own goal and Xavi didn't play at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

carlop wrote: »
    Pablo came on and it was Pique who scored the own goal.

Pique's run and lofted pass in stoppage time was a thing of beauty. He would make for an excellent midfielder, aside from being a top class defender.

As a United fan it really saddens me that we let him leave, though I understand the reasons for doing it at the time.

He played as a holding midfielder during his loan spell with Zaragoza a few years ago and excelled there. What Pique's achieved over the past 2 years has been nothing short of phenomenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I can't really see this happening. Even if they meet the release clause i can't see Messi ever ever going.
    Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti claims he is no longer joking about the prospect of signing Lionel Messi from Barcelona.
    lionelmessicelebvmallorca20101003_275x155.jpg
    GettyImages
    Lionel Messi: Has a €250 million release clause

Sneijder expects to stay at Inter
    The ambitious transfer proposal has been in the headlines ever since Moratti jested with an Italian newspaper that his club's next signing would be the FIFA World Player of the Year. However, the Inter chief now seems to be giving it some serious thought.

"So many people are asking me to buy a world class, quality player. Messi is the strongest of them all," Moratti told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "When I spoke about it the other day I was only joking, but now we will see.
    "I am starting to really ask myself that question: to buy him or not?"
    Messi is the jewel in the crown at Barcelona and the club are highly unlikely to let him leave. The Argentina international has a lucrative contract that runs until 2016, with a buyout clause of €250 million.

Inter coach Rafael Benitez would obviously be delighted if his boss was able to secure the services of Barca's 23-year-old forward.
    "If the president wants to do something about Messi, then I will not oppose him," Benitez told the press. "Messi is a great player and I will not say no."
    Inter have also been linked with a swoop for Real Madrid's Brazilian playmaker Kaka, but Benitez claims he already has better players than the former AC Milan star.

"As for Kaka, we already have Wesley Sneijder and Coutinho in that position," Benitez said. "But, if they want Messi then I will say yes, it's fine for me. I will talk with them to discuss the market together."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Barcelona 5th. Useless!!!

Very interesting game tonight. Barecelona under early pressure this season but i expect them to win tonight. 2-0.

Great start by Valencia, they are really on top of this game so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Good to see Pedro and Messi getting back to full fitness. Another week or two and they will be back firing on all cylinders.

The time off seemed to do Xavi a world of good, he seemed that little bit sharper at the weekend.

Bojan - Still doing nothing, I know we need to have faith in him but I just don't know if he's cut out for first team football.

Valdes will not play tonight. He is down with fever accoring to the official site.

I am shocked to see that tonight will be Pintos CL debut.

Valdes will not play tonight. He is down with fever accoring to the official site.

I am shocked to see that tonight will be Pintos CL debut.

Would he have played in the Uefa cup when he was with Celta? Will be interesting to see how he does tonight.

Sh1t, no Xavi tonight

Pinto, Abidal, Puyol, Pique, Alves, Mascherano, Busquets, Maxwell, Iniesta, Messi, Villa

• Advertisement

Just seen the goals of tonights game on Sky, 2 goals for Messi.

Copenhagen had a couple very good chances, a couple from long range and then a player running through when he stopped thinking he has off-side, needless to say he got an earfull from the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Was Maxwell playing on the left side of the attacking trio tonight? Any big players on the move that could fill that role for Barcelona when Pedro, Villa or Messi aren't quite fit?

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Was Maxwell playing on the left side of the attacking trio tonight? Any big players on the move that could fill that role for Barcelona when Pedro, Villa or Messi aren't quite fit?

The trio were Iniesta, Villa and Messi. Maxwell played on the wing. Xavi and Pedro came on with about 20 mins left.

Watched the match. Barca were good in the first half and could have scored 1 or 2 more. Alves was hit and miss with his crossing as he was getting into good positions. In the second half Barca were very poor and Copenhagen totally crowded them out in the middle. Again Barca had most of the ball but never really threatened. They looked devoid of ideas so Pep threw on Xavi as Copenhagen were getting into the match and 1-0 was a dangerous lead. Copenhagen had one great chance when their striker had a power shot come back of the crossbar only for Santin to head the ball wide from the rebound with an open goal at his mercy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bodhisopha wrote: »

The cover up front and at the back is worringly thin for Barca tbh.

The cover up front and at the back is worringly thin for Barca tbh.

The cover all over is pretty thin. If anything happened to Iniesta, Xavi or Messi, Barca are in deep trouble. Barca have the best starting XI in world football but need more strength in depth. I'm sure Pep was planning on leaving Xavi out altogether tonight but the team ran out of ideas in the second half so he felt the need to bring him on. Barcelona are unique in that it takes a special type of player to fit in. The above trio all came through La Masia so they know the type of style Barca play. That is why its not as easy to just go out and buy someone as they mightn't necessarily fit in to the fast passing style. Pedro is a great player but I just cant see Bojan ever becoming a first-teamer.

• Advertisement

Few points on last nights match

- Mascherano is an extremely limited player whjo has no business playing for a club like Barcelona. Maybe at a 3rd rate team like Liverpool his "heart" stands out", but he is miles out his depth at the moment

- Its great Valdes does not get injured/suspended/ill too often as Pinto would give you heart failure.

- Bojan must have been told sharpen up in training or ship out. The fact that Maxwell started ahead of him last night speaks volumes.

- David Villa looks bereft of confidence. His overall game is good, but his finishing is leaving him down. Was surprised to see him subbed last night. Cannot have done much for his morale.

- I really hope Barca try sign a Llorente type striker at the next oppurtunity. Someone like him would have done damage last night, and indeed to the likes of Mallorca and Hercules.

- Adibals attacking is looking better than I ever remember him in a Barca shirt.

Overall, a decent win without playing too good again. I will take that at this early stage, but with the Clasico in 5 short weeks, Barcelona really have to raise their game, or Jose will dance his way back to madrid with 3 points.

Few points on last nights match

- Mascherano is an extremely limited player whjo has no business playing for a club like Barcelona. Maybe at a 3rd rate team like Liverpool his "heart" stands out", but he is miles out his depth at the moment

- Its great Valdes does not get injured/suspended/ill too often as Pinto would give you heart failure.

- Bojan must have been told sharpen up in training or ship out. The fact that Maxwell started ahead of him last night speaks volumes.

- David Villa looks bereft of confidence. His overall game is good, but his finishing is leaving him down. Was surprised to see him subbed last night. Cannot have done much for his morale.

- I really hope Barca try sign a Llorente type striker at the next oppurtunity. Someone like him would have done damage last night, and indeed to the likes of Mallorca and Hercules.

- Adibals attacking is looking better than I ever remember him in a Barca shirt.

Overall, a decent win without playing too good again. I will take that at this early stage, but with the Clasico in 5 short weeks, Barcelona really have to raise their game, or Jose will dance his way back to madrid with 3 points.

I disagree about Mascherano. He was bought for exactly what he was doing last night - getting in tackles and breaking up the play especially in Europe. He made a couple of great tackles last night. Come the knockout stages he will be needed and he is a top player.

I dont like the idea of signing a Llorente type striker either. It has never really worked in the past with Barca as they play the ball on the ground. I would much rather a Rooney than a Llorente and they wouldn't be too much in the price difference now either. I think Rooney could fit in to this Barca side as he has good control and has power and pace. He is also good in the air. He should be the marquee signing of next year for us. Here's hoping anyways. For a player like him I'm sure we could push the boat out a little bit and knock it off next summer's budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Someone needs to remind David Villa he's a world cup winner.

He's an outstanding player, and I think it may just take a bit more time before he settles into the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Just thought we should all look back and praise Samuel Eto'o! He's absolutely tearing up Serie A with Inter at the moment. 15 goals in 13 matches, the most in form goal scorer in the world. He has been really fantastic. Delighted Rafa has him in his natural position instead of the sacrificial RW/ RB role. He's far superior and more all rounded than Milito, so it was a shame (albeit understandable) to see him play where he did last season, although he was damn bloody good at it!

Barca legend, always have and always will rate him higher than Drogba!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Barcelona chief 'spied on stars'
    Former Barcelona president Joan Laporta hired private detectives to spy on his star players, according to an investigation published in Spanish magazine Interview.

The magazine alleges that Laporta brought in a team of detectives to follow top stars - including Ronaldinho, Deco and Samuel Eto'o - whenever he suspected them of breaching the club's code of conduct.

Spanish World Cup winner Gerard Pique was reportedly also among the players being tailed, at one point being put on round-the-clock surveillance by Laporta's operatives.
    The wife of current Barcelona president Sandro Rosell - a political arch-rival of Laporta - went to the police at one stage after being tailed while taking her children to school.

The magazine claims to have accounts showing that Barcelona paid over £500,000 to security firm Intelligence Bureau, who also monitored personal e-mails of backroom staff including Barca's previous manager Frank Rijkaard.

Laporta is under investigation already over an alleged £62 million deficit in the Barcelona finances but he has issued a lawsuit against Mr Rosell for defamation of character and honour.

Opr

Laporta is a gangster. Nothing surprises me with him.

Very strange.
    UEFA suspend Pinto for whistling

www.fcbarcelona.cat

José Manuel Pinto has been suspended for two Champions League matches by UEFA for an incident in the match against FC Copenhagen and Barça are now planning to appeal to the Control and Disciplinary Committee.

The Andalucian goalkeeper has been penalised for a controversial moment in the 26th minute of the Blaugrana’s triumph over the Danish side last week. Copenhagen’s Cesar Santin stopped running for the ball when he was clearly not offside because he thought he heard the referee’s whistle.

Instead, it was Pinto that whistled and UEFA have now suspended him for the incident. Copenhagen was his first Champions League game for FC Barcelona and he kept a clean sheet in a 2-0 win in Camp Nou.
    http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada10-11/10/29/n101029113707.html?utm_source=FCBarcelona.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=FCBarcelona&utm_term=FCBarcelona&utm_content=Football

Heard that during lunch. Pinto must have some whistle to be heard amongst 80,000 fans. Saw that when it happened and the Copenhagen manager was going mad at the player for pulling up - couldnt blame him. Clever little trick though by Pinto. This happened too at some PL game recently, but it wasn't by the players, it was by the fans. Actually no it was at Croke Park, it was done by the Dublin fans, was it the Cork v Dublin game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

eZe^ wrote: »
    Just thought we should all look back and praise Samuel Eto'o! He's absolutely tearing up Serie A with Inter at the moment. 15 goals in 13 matches, the most in form goal scorer in the world. He has been really fantastic. Delighted Rafa has him in his natural position instead of the sacrificial RW/ RB role. He's far superior and more all rounded than Milito, so it was a shame (albeit understandable) to see him play where he did last season, although he was damn bloody good at it!

Have always said he is the best striker in the world

Have always said he is the best striker in the world

He had a great time at Barca and his directness suited Barca perfectly, though I still think you'd be hard pushed to find a better striker than Villa imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Agree with the general sentiment that Eto'o was indeed a hero at Barca.

What did everyone think of Xavi tonight?
    One word : Immense

He bossed the game in his usual fashion but failed to get on the score sheet despite having shot on target.

Was good to see Pedro running at players again. Barca need him to back to his best soon. And the sooner the better, a front three firing on all cylinders would wreak havoc in the Classico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Really impressed with Villa, getting more and more confident, and those two goals he scored were amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Fantastic win although Seville were shocking.Was at the game 3rd row from the front..Some experience. :D

What ye make of last nights performance? For me, it was not exciting, but it diod not need to be. I felt Barca were comfortable enough throughout apart from one or two lapses.

I am worried about one thing though and that is Pedros lack of form, or lack of goals at least. he has only got one thus far this season, and that was a one yard tap in.

Hopefully Rubin can be put to the sword next time, and have the group won before the last game to rest some players.

Barcelona linked with Affellay of PSV. Not sure is it for January or for the summer. He is out of contract in the summertime so it would be a free, but compo would need paying due to his age I thinjk. Ballague and Hunter seemed to think this one would happen.

Barca also linked with Borjan Valero who is priced at approx €20m. Real like him as well, but he has stated his preference for Barca. The Bale link was mentioned again. Cannot see either of the latter 2 being chased that heavily though.

On another matter, what do people think of Caceres' performances thus far for Sevilla? Personally I think it is a great loan as he is learning at a big club. I also felt eh had an excellent world cup and would hope that he is broiught back to Barca next season. Alves needs back up and Caceres can play there, and more back up at centre half cannot be a bad thing. Now, whether he will eb happy with that remains to be seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

eZe^ wrote: »

He hasn't actually been playing all that good in Serie A.

Take away the 3 penalties and he has 5 goals in Serie A which came against , Samp, Cagliari, Palermo and Udinese, He was piss poor against both Roma and Juve (Inters only real tests so far this year) and has missed an absolute shed load of chances that Milito would have converted if fit and playing.

The in form strikers in Serie A right now are Cavani (8 from 10) and Pato (5 from 7).
    Eto'o hasn't played well in big games and the only team worth talking about who he has scored against is Spurs and one of them was a penalty.

He won't keep the centre forward spot once Milito is fit and he won't finish the season as top scorer. He's just not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Seaneh wrote: »
    He hasn't actually been playing all that good in Serie A.

Take away the 3 penalties and he has 5 goals in Serie A which came against , Samp, Cagliari, Palermo and Udinese, He was piss poor against both Roma and Juve (Inters only real tests so far this year) and has missed an absolute shed load of chances that Milito would have converted if fit and playing.

The in form strikers in Serie A right now are Cavani (8 from 10) and Pato (5 from 7).
    Eto'o hasn't played well in big games and the only team worth talking about who he has scored against is Spurs and one of them was a penalty.

He won't keep the centre forward spot once Milito is fit and he won't finish the season as top scorer. He's just not good enough.

Don't penalties count anymore then?:p

Eto has 8 goals in ten games in the league for inter, 7 goals in 4 games in the CL, and 2 goals in one cup game.

Gives him a total of 17 goals in 15 games. Even if you take away his three penalties, it leaves him with 14 goals in 15 games. I would love to know what would be deemed to be prolific form if his current goal scoring rate is not good enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I said "He hasn't actually been playing all that good in Serie A."

Penalties count, yeah, but they aren't an indication of form or being prolific. Scoring from open play is an entirely different thing.
    When he scores more than 20 goals from open play in Serie A then he can be considered prolific.

The Clasico has been fixed for 29th November - a fúcking Monday. What the fúck like?

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada10-11/11/11/n101111113945.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Oh man, I could end up missing now, stuck in work.

:(:(:(

Monday is perfect for the Classico. MNF at its finest. They are normally depressing days so great match after work that night.

Headin over to Madrid next weekend and goin to see the Madrid v Bilbao match. Anyone know if they serve alcohol at the Bernabeu?

Iniesta presents his world cup final T Shirt in memory of dani Jarque to Espanyol

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/noticies/club/temporada10-11/11/11/n101111113954.html

He seems a total gent.

The below video is incredible. What a player he is. I remember watchingt he world cup final and thinking that this is the game where Iniesta finally became one of the worlds greatest players. he was always "under rated" before this.

Anyone read the latest FFT magazine, there is a good look into Barcelona in it, interviews with Villa, Busquets and Pedro with a little bit from Iniesta. They also look at Sandro Rosell the new president and what he is all about and the future of the club. Definatley worth a look if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

Seems Barca have signed Ibrahim Affellay from PSV, Not sure is it a pre contract for the summer or does he come in January. The link is slightly ambiguos

http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada10-11/11/15/n101115114035.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Seems Barca have signed Ibrahim Affellay from PSV, Not sure is it a pre contract for the summer or does he come in January. The link is slightly ambiguos

http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada10-11/11/15/n101115114035.html

Interesting. Will come in January it seems to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Where does this leave the move for Fabregas next Summer? Midfield is getting more and more packed it seems at Camp Nou....Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Keita, Mascherano, Affellay - where would he fit in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Where does this leave the move for Fabregas next Summer? Midfield is getting more and more packed it seems at Camp Nou....Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Keita, Mascherano, Affellay - where would he fit in?

Short answer - he wont.

For the meantime, we will be bringing through Alcantara and Afellay, Fabregas now won't be signed until Xavi is relegated to a Scholes like role (won't happen for another 3 seasons I reckon). I can't see Barca signing him for ages now, unless they want to be decadent like Madrid and have 3 top quality players for every position.

On the Afellay signing, strange one tbh, he isn't that great from what some mates tell me, a good prospect (he's 24 though), but we already have that in the form of Alcantara. Strange, but any depth to the squad is good, although I'd have preferred a CF.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

:D

Happiest I've been about a Barca signing in ages.

I like the signing, i heard it might be happening a few days ago but i wasn't sure it was a good move at first. Doesn't Affellay play a more forward wide role? I know he can play centrally too but i think he will be used in a wider role at Barca, maybe Pep thinks Bojan isn't quiet up to it the way he is playing this season and thinks he needs more options there. I still hope it means there is room for Fab in the summer.

Its a freebie, so all that needs paying is the signing on fee and presumably some sort of compo due to his age.

I hope some sort of cover at right full and/or centre half is brought in as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement