Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best defensive system to use against Ireland

Options
  • 23-08-2007 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I appreciate most teams stick to one defensive system and are unlikely to change playing Ireland. But my question is what do people think is the best defensive system to use against Ireland?

I reckon
    1. Rush: won't well because Drico and D'arc two of the best steppers in the middle of the park and can't work well against this. When the defensive come up fast, they can step quicker then a defended can realign at full speed.
    2. Bananna: The only international team using this (I think) are England. I see this system more to stop a team going wide. Out biggest threat is in the middle.
    3. Out - In Drift: Not sure if this would work well against our midfield as they can move and pass it. But to be honest I don't know this defensive system that well.
    4. In - Out Drift: - this is the one I think. Force Drico and Darce out and have them covered. It's probably the hardest one for an attacker to step in from.

So I think (4) works best against Ireland.

Best defensive system to use against Ireland? 12 votes

Rush
    0%
    Bananna
    75%
    damnyanksSteffano2002jimbredinshoutmanDavei141mikedragon32wixfjordjameshayesDanie Gerber 9 votes
    Out - In drift
    0%
    In - out drift
    8%
    MarVeL 1 vote
    Something else
    16%
    TazzleTim Robbins 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Bananna
    Rush seems to hurt the irish teams the most when used well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danie Gerber

Bananna
    A type of rush definately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Bananna
    Rush.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Bananna
    Rush worked well for wasps against against leinster in the hei cup q/f this year, though the lack of o driscoll (Darcy had no foil) and wasps back row were major factors. Cant see many international teams risking this strategy in world cup tho.

Bananna
    Looks like rush is winning there Timmie... The other three gives the darcy and BOD way too much room..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Something else
    Looks like rush is winning there Timmie... The other three gives the darcy and BOD way too much room..
    Correct me if I am worng, but the last time Ireland played against a rush defense with both Drico and D'Arce playing was against SA and we destroyed it so fine. So cool, bring it on.
    France used it, but Horgan was playing that day.

Bananna
    The fact that Ireland have been able to beat the rush defense doesn't mean that it is not the most effective defense against them. It just means that it wasn't executed well enough or that Ireland are too good on the day.

All the other defensive systems that you list have also failed and failed more spectaclarly.

Your poll is simple: Which is the best defensive system? The answer is rush.

Ireland would have won the France match if the french drifted/in/out or banana. Even with BOD out.

Advertisement