Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap bulk strawberries?

Options
  • 10-07-2014 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of anywhere you can get bulk strawberries for jam making? I love strawberry jam, made it last year for the first time!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Not sure where you're based but we get our from a local berry farm, 20 euro for a giant blue box full of them (sometimes a bit cheaper at the end of the day), they're Wexford strawberries as well....omnomnomnom....nom...nom

Beats the supermarket ones every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Sorry I'm in North Kildare but I could travel. Roadtrip for strawberries rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Sorry I'm in North Kildare but I could travel. Roadtrip for strawberries rofl

well, the one we go to is just off exit 22 on the N11, just outside Gorey, it's called Greens Berry farm

http://greensberryfarm.ie/our_products.htm
    Strawberries which do not meet the high standards we set for our fresh fruit are sold in bulk at 50% of the normal price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gctest50 wrote: »
    I expect its cheaper to use regular sugar and just add the pectin separately?

1.2kg of sugar is €1 in dealz at the moment.

http://www.dealz.ie/whitworths-white-sugar-1-2kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Keelings beside Dublin airport have an on site shop selling strawberries, they sell jam grade for €7 per kg I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Would be worth giving Malones in Carlow as shout aswell - http://www.malonefruitfarm.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

I had just come on here to ask the same question!

Do you know of any north county Dublin growers? Apparently, 80% of all Wexford strawberries come from North Dublin, so there must be tonnes of suppliers.

The Carlow place looks great, and they even have their prices online!

Can you buy direct from Keelings? Hard to tell from their website!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

kkcatlou wrote: »

Do you know of any north county Dublin growers? Apparently, 80% of all Wexford strawberries come from North Dublin, so there must be tonnes of suppliers.

The Carlow place looks great, and they even have their prices online!

Can you buy direct from Keelings? Hard to tell from their website!
    Keelings in st Margarets,
    Donnally's, same as above,
    Barret in Balheary, north of swords.
    Mcguiness in rush
    And just over the Meath border is Clark's fruit farm.

They are all the large scale strawberry grower I know of in the north county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Has anyone had any joy finding pectin anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Clarkes got back to me saying they have strawberries for €5 per kg...not bad!
    They also have raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.
    Going to take a trip up there tomorrow.

Clarkes got back to me saying they have strawberries for €5 per kg...not bad!
    They also have raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.
    Going to take a trip up there tomorrow.

Thanks for this kkcatlou. I went out this morning and got 4 kilos for €20. Half of that lot is now in jars cooling on my kitchen counter. I'll do another batch tomorrow. I took some advice and added the juice of 1 lemon per kilo and it does give the jam a nice acidity. Strawberry jam can be sickly sweet sometimes.

Clarkes had no jam raspberries when I went up so I'm going to go to Conroys raspberry far in Wicklow during the week as it's near work. Jam raspberries are €3 a pound when they have them or €4 a pound otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

stimpson wrote: »
    Has anyone had any joy finding pectin anywhere?

you'll get bottles of it in dunnes, bought it there numerous times, but I've now started using powdered pectin instead, bought this - had a 2 year away expiry date, much handier & cheaper than the liquid pectin / jam sugar:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/PECTIN-MARMALADES-CHUTNEYS-JELLIES-FILLINGS/dp/B00BUB3PK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406565312&sr=8-1&keywords=pectin

you'll get bottles of it in dunnes, bought it there numerous times, but I've now started using powdered pectin instead, bought this - had a 2 year away expiry date, much handier & cheaper than the liquid pectin / jam sugar:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/PECTIN-MARMALADES-CHUTNEYS-JELLIES-FILLINGS/dp/B00BUB3PK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406565312&sr=8-1&keywords=pectin

I've been in 3 dunnes looking for it with no luck. I bought 5 kilos of jam sugar today in despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

stimpson wrote: »
    I've been in 3 dunnes looking for it with no luck. I bought 5 kilos of jam sugar today in despair.

I haven't needed any for a few months, I went all over looking for pectin last summer and have seen a fair bit around (now that I don't need it - typically), I'd seriously recommend the powdered pectin though, next time you're making jam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

:eek: Suppose to late :eek:

Didnt I find something called Certo in a bottle in a Tesco a while ago ?

Claimed to be pectin. Didnt buy it as didnt need it. So dont know if tis any good

0lddog wrote: »
    :eek: Suppose to late :eek:

Didnt I find something called Certo in a bottle in a Tesco a while ago ?

Claimed to be pectin. Didnt buy it as didnt need it. So dont know if tis any good

Tesco seem to be out of Certo (it is indeed pectin)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Do you know of any north county Dublin growers? Apparently, 80% of all Wexford strawberries come from North Dublin

Do you have a source for this please? I'm from a strawberry growing area in Wexford so would like to know where this misinformation is coming from?

Advertisement