Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Almera Camshaft sensor

Options
  • 04-04-2013 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a 2004 1.5 Almera that for the last while has been having intermittent problems with starting especially when its cold. The engine management light (orange one) is constantly on too.

Also once or twice it has actually cut out when I am coming to a stop at lights.

The thing is if I give it a minute it always starts up again but today I decided to bring it over to the mechanic and get a diagnosis of what the orange light means.

It came back as Camshaft sensor issue but the mechanic reckons that this could just be a symptom of a bigger problem....i.e . timing chain. He says I could be lucky however and that it could just be the sensor but he reckons there is a bigger chance that if I replace the sensor I will eventually end up replacing the chain anyway so it would be best to just get the lot done at once.

Of course there is a massive difference in price, a camshaft sensor 130 fitted

A new timing chain 600 fitted, however I can get a camshaft sensor in the scrapyard and fit it myself for less than 40 euro.

There is no rattle from the engine and I have heard that the rev counter goes wacky when the chain is off but my rev counter is perfectly stable , Am I just wasting my money replacing the camshaft sensor first ? I guess what I mean is has anyone gotten a success from just doing the camshaft sensor and not always having to do the whole chain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

For that kind of money I'd get a second opinion first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Stretched chain is very common on these and cam code is a classic symptom. Easy to inspect the chain by removing the cover and looking at how far out the tensioner is extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

dieselbug wrote: »
    Stretched chain is very common on these and cam code is a classic symptom. Easy to inspect the chain by removing the cover and looking at how far out the tensioner is extended.

Ah now that's interesting because my mechanic said that if he were to check he may as well just do the whole job . He said they are very awkward and it would take hours to strip it down! Dunno what I should say now?

It's a sump off job to replace, but he wont need to do much stripping to inspect it. If you do a search on the forum you will find other posts on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

As above, if you remove the cam cover and look at how far the tensioner plunger is protruding it is easy to tell whether or not the chain is stretched.

• Advertisement

Well is it the kind of procedure that I could carry out myself ? I can do a basic service handy enough it's just my mechanic isn't interested in checking unless he is doing the whole job it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Take off the cam cover and look down the back of the chain. You should see the tensioner about mid way down, take a picture and post it here and plenty of the lads on here will be advise you on the condition of the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

And get a new mechanic!

Take off the cam cover and look down the back of the chain. You should see the tensioner about mid way down, take a picture and post it here and plenty of the lads on here will be advise you on the condition of the chain.

Thanks for all the replies, George can I ask is it a difficult or a 5 minute job to remove the cam cover,also I don't really know where it is on the Almera. Any advice or should I get a Haynes manual maybe?

I think Nissan changed the amount of protrusion allowed before they determined the chain needed to be changed. It used to be about 20mm later amended to about 10 or 12mm (cant swear on this) This problem became so common some Nissan tech's were able to change the chain in about 5 or 6hrs, loads of practice.

It dosent take a lot of stretch to bring on the cam fault code.

and your mechanics attitude is'nt very helpful.

• Advertisement

dieselbug wrote: »
    I think Nissan changed the amount of protrusion allowed before they determined the chain needed to be changed. It used to be about 20mm later amended to about 10 or 12mm (cant swear on this) This problem became so common some Nissan tech's were able to change the chain in about 5 or 6hrs, loads of practice.

It dosent take a lot of stretch to bring on the cam fault code.

and your mechanics attitude is'nt very helpful.

You got that right Dieselbug ! I am just wondering though is it even a possibility that perhaps it is only the camshaft sensor ? What I mean is are there ever any times when this sensor goes for other reasons than the chain?

With the history of these it's unlikely to be the sensor, possible but unlikely. First port of call would be to check the chain, it's a straight foward job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

What miles are on this car OP, and do you know the exact fault code from it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If your mechanic was any good he should be able to tell from the fault code if the chain being stretched is likely.

You mention that the fault 'came back as a camshaft sensor issue' but there are several different faults that could be generated that relate to the sensor and these would give an idea if it was the sensor itself that was faulty or if the sensor was picking up a reading that was out of spec. He should also be looking at the live data readings to get an idea of what's happening.

At the moment it sounds like he is assuming what the problem is based on a common problem rather then being able to tell you with 100% certainty what the problem is.

As the lads have said, a fairly basic check involving removing the cam cover(the silver part on the top of the engine with the coil packs attached to it) at least. With the rocker removed there is another plate on the side which allows even better access to the tensioner.

Advertisement