Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ramps or Stands

• 02-04-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭

Im looking to pick up either a new set of ratchet axle stands to replace my old lidl jobbie or a pair of ramps eg - http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1598088&pk=6A7C8

Im just wondering is there any preference between the two? Granted the ramps are no use if a wheel need's coming off but for the likes of oil changes or brake bleeding ect is there sufficient room to get in under the car with them?

Also are they safe enough on there own or should you still throw a pair of stands under the car just incase?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

This thread may help. I am getting 3 tonne halford stands this week.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056823398/1#post82061767

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

I prefer ramps as im an amateur. you cant take wheels off to get at brake pads though, so if its a brake or rotor change use stands. Always have something under the car. If i was changing brake pads or had a wheel off the car(while on stands) at anytime, i just leave the wheel on its side under the car beside the stand. that way if does fall it will hopefully stop the car completely, so its not going to crush any part of you.

I learned my lesson at about 16/17 changing a friends wheel on gravelly ground. the jack slippped and crushed my hand between the wheel arch and the wheel. It hurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stands are better in that you can remove the wheels. I have some 2 tonnes from Aldi/Lidl, still going strong and gives enough clearance to crawl under for the oil changes (not by much mind).
    Ramps are less work as you just drive up on them.

If you're really lazy and have a smallish car get an air jack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Apologies for dragging up an old old thread. But, has anyone tried these ramps?
    http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1797824

They are to be used on a cobble-lock driveway.

I saw some in Halfords the other day for €75 and they seem handier than the crappy jack and stands I already use for oil changes. Just to be clear the stands are good, I just don't like the (Lidl) jack.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I have a pair of 6 ton ratchet stands, but then I do a good bit of work on cars.(I'm an ex mechanic). You would find it hard to budge these yokes and you can get a good height safely. Personally I wouldn't use ramps purely as they would hinder the type of jobs I would do. I'm sure they are pretty safe if used properly though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

BEWARE you can't drive many modern cars up on those old style ramps because the trim gets in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'd never lie under a car supported by welded ramps. Welds can be done inappropriately or just wear off and fail.

Solid timber is the solution!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056209178

Edit: If wheel(s) removal in need, then stands of course, but a block of timber/other solid material as additional support.

Thanks for the replys.

The only thing I do under the car is drain the oil. The other only things I do is change filters and spark plugs.

My jack is a bit awkward to use so was thinking of changing it either for a jack with a longer handle or ramps, and these seem a lot cheaper than the jacks on offer.

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys.

The only thing I do under the car is drain the oil. The other only things I do is change filters and spark plugs.

My jack is a bit awkward to use so was thinking of changing it either for a jack with a longer handle or ramps, and these seem a lot cheaper than the jacks on offer.

Just check the angle of those ramps and take a look how low your bumper trim is. Very few cars can get up them and on cobbles you'll be sh!tting cobbles if you can get the car up on them. I have a pair of those ramps and even on an ideal surface they can go flying off in front of the car as you try and go up them if you do it too gently so you have to go for it hope both ramps stay where they are and that you can stop before you go to far. Really they aren't great.

joujoujou wrote: »
    I'd never lie under a car supported by welded ramps. Welds can be done inappropriately or just wear off and fail.

Solid timber is the solution!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056209178

Edit: If wheel(s) removal in need, then stands of course, but a block of timber/other solid material as additional support.

The welds issue did cross my mind when looking at the in Halfords.

• Advertisement

The welds issue did cross my mind when looking at the in Halfords.

Mine are 30 years old and I've had no problem with the welds but as I've already mentioned they aren't as good or easy to use as they look.

One of my 'solutions' to stop the sliding around on the cobbles was to put some rubber sided bathroom mats under them....

They more I think about this maybe the jack solution is better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

It's 50/50 n what you need,oil only ramps are better anything else it's stands you need.
    Comming sense rules use on level surface

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

It's 50/50 n what you need,oil only ramps are better anything else it's stands you need.
    Comming sense rules use on level surface

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a a 6t trolley a 3t trolley 2 6t stands and a set of ramps.
    Unless you are working on a part of the wheel that needs to be removed ramps are way easier and faster for oil changes and underbody work.
    If the ramp is too steep for your bumper to drive over make the angle shallower with a piece of wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Apologies for dragging up an old old thread. But, has anyone tried these ramps?
    http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1797824

They are to be used on a cobble-lock driveway.

I saw some in Halfords the other day for €75 and they seem handier than the crappy jack and stands I already use for oil changes. Just to be clear the stands are good, I just don't like the (Lidl) jack.

Cheers

I use these on the avensis 03-08. The bumper trim does scrape off the ramps a little but it is plastic and designed to flex so no real problems. I also use axel stands when she is on the ramps as I value my head quite a lot and axel stands are cheap.

Advertisement