Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to tell if somebody is using your wireless broadband

• 17-05-2009 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Today when I came back from work I saw my next door neighbour (just know him to say hello) outside my house walking around with a laptop and he walked away when I approached. There may be a good reason for what he was doing but it seemed to me that he was looking for a wireless signal. The question I have is, is there any way to tell if somebody is using your broadband?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Usually in your router it will show a list of connected devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

You should check out the FAQ's on the networking part of Tech here on boards.ie It's vhelpfull for all these kinds of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,049 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I made a thread in the Wireless forum on this just now. enjoy

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055567450

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Look at filtering the devices that can connect to your wireless network using MAC addressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

is the guy that desperate for broadband that he has to hang around outside your house with his laptop?
    i think step 1 should be to get an eircom/clearwire leaflet & put it in his letterbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

make sure your security password for your wireless router is not set to default.....make your own password and make it a difficult one to guess ...... but MAC addressing is the best way to ensure that he can not access your wireless connection imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,049 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Whats his name? Rename your connection "Not for Terry"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Thanks for all the help lads, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I forget where I found it but I used to have some script that would filter any data going to the intruder on your network. Basically it turned all the text upside down and made any images spin. Very very funny way of telling that person you're on to them^^

Advertisement