Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Curious Case of the Disappeared Disk Defragmenter

Options
  • 18-05-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭

It's time to defragment my laptop again but now when I go to the MS defragmenter and open it I am just met by a page saying "Navigation to this webpage is cancelled". The usual disk defragmenter toolbar is there but nothing seems to get rid of the webpage response and recover my defragmenter interface (is that the right word?I mean the usual page that allows me use the defragmenter etc).

I have never touched the settings on my defragmenter and it was appearing as normal a few months ago when I last needed it .Does anyone know what might have gone amiss or what I can do to fix it? I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

XP or Vista? In Vista by default the Defragmenter runs in the background every Wednesday at 3AM. Either of them I have never really liked. Why don't you try out the 30-day trial of PerfectDisk2009. Its a goodie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Overheal wrote: »
    XP or Vista? In Vista by default the Defragmenter runs in the background every Wednesday at 3AM. Either of them I have never really liked. Why don't you try out the 30-day trial of PerfectDisk2009. Its a goodie.

Thanks overheal:)

I use XP. I hadn't realized that you could get other defragmenters. Are they as safe and idiot proof as the MS one?I'd have thought they could potentially do damage but would be delighted to hear otherwise.I've always been a bit disappointed with the MS offering to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nah PD is great stuff and it comes from a good company. One thing a 3rd party defragger does that the windows defragger cannot is defrag system files - you know, the little pink (they were pink right?) chunks that always show up as immovable? yeah, PD has a neat trick where it can load itself into memory before Windows on a reboot, so you get the best defrag results evar. You also have a few other options: like defragging to consolidate all your free space into the biggest chunks possible, or SMART placement, which orders all your files on the disk in such a way as to boost your loading times. Especially on startup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Overheal wrote: »
    Nah PD is great stuff and it comes from a good company. One thing a 3rd party defragger does that the windows defragger cannot is defrag system files - you know, the little pink (they were pink right?) chunks that always show up as immovable? yeah, PD has a neat trick where it can load itself into memory before Windows on a reboot, so you get the best defrag results evar. You also have a few other options: like defragging to consolidate all your free space into the biggest chunks possible, or SMART placement, which orders all your files on the disk in such a way as to boost your loading times. Especially on startup.

Well I am sold! :) Perfect disk it is then. Thank you very much for the advice. :)

Advertisement