Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What am I paying for?

Options
  • 19-11-2013 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what I am paying for (in idiot proof language), this is what is on the bill for a website?

OL Plus+.ie, Domain+Win Host +EnhMail

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Why not ask the people you're paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Thats a great idea, I'd never have thought of that.

I asked people here for it in idiot proof language, the company which I have asked are using technical language, which I am going to assume is so that I dont understand and why they are charging 1k for it (website for a family business and someone else used to deal with this which has now left and I am trying to figure it out).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

mel123 wrote: »
    Thats a great idea, I'd never have thought of that.

Sarcasm I presume? Not conducive in getting folks to help you, FYI.

Tell the company you don't understand and politely ask them to break it down into more 'idiot proof' language.

Maybe try and guess what each bit means, and we can give you guidance on whether you're right or wrong. That way you can learn something out of it, in case you're ever in a similar situation, rather than us doing your homework for you, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Can anyone tell me what I am paying for (in idiot proof language), this is what is on the bill for a website?

[noparse]
    I don't know the providers of the service so at a guess i'm assuming it is a web and email hosting service which you have bought into or are buying into:

I don't know your domain name so in the following xyz.ie is assumed to be your domain.

OL Plus+.ie would be likely to be a domain name registration charge. You want to run a website called www.xyz.ie so there is a charge to have this registered to you from the domain registration authority - the reservation of xyz.ie for your exclusive use as it were.

The Domain part of Domain+Win Host i'd guess is to make your xyz.ie domain which you've just bought (reserved) above, viewable to the world, when someone types www.xyz.ie - this, requires a server which runs a thing called DNS (domain name system). This translates www.xyz.ie into a machine number or ip (internet protocol) address which tells the internet how to find your website www.xyz.ie. That's the domain part of it. The second part is the Win part which i'm guessing is web site hosting of some sort or other. So, the domain translates www.xyz.ie into a machine address thus a server has to accept traffic (people clicking in from their web browser) to your site. I'd be guessing that the Win Host part of the name is just this - usually a server with an agreed amount of disk space, databases if required, and internet traffic.

Enhmail, i'd guess is some sort of email hosting. When I send you an email to you@xyz.ie it also needs a server to accept the message and present it to you when you go into your email client (outlook, thunderbird, etc..).

You are most likely not buying a full server hosting off anyone, and are more likely than not sharing a portion of another server in all of the above. The machine is clever to differentiate between different customers and their differing xyz.ie domains

That's a guess at it. Hope the explanations weren't off putting.
    [/noparse]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

At least part of that looks like your suppliers own acronyms, your supplier will be in the best position to describe their meaning.

Once you have a meaning, come back and post and you'll get some more specific help/advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Graham wrote: »
    At least part of that looks like your suppliers own acronyms, your supplier will be in the best position to describe their meaning.

Once you have a meaning, come back and post and you'll get some more specific help/advice.

Yep, without a full proper spec the bill is somewhere between a 2 and 5 figure sum ie. a piece of string.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

remember naming hosting companies on the site is a big no no check out forum rules before getting too specific

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You'd really need to get your provider to break that down for you, as the names are proprietary to them

"OL Plus"- no idea what that is

"Win host" - probably windows based hosting using IIS ..

"EnhMail" - some kind of email solution, but I've no idea what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

the company which I have asked are using technical language, which I am going to assume is so that I dont understand and why they are charging 1k for it (website for a family business and someone else used to deal with this which has now left and I am trying to figure it out).

If your developer / design company is not willing to spend the time explaining to you what items are, or is unable to do so in language you can understand, I would highly consider changing Company - FAST !

Its their job to explain to a client exactly what you are paying for, and should only take 10 mins in an email or phone call to give you a clearer picture.

It might be in your interest to hire an independent freelancer to look over exactly what web services you are using and offer you alternative solutions as I've seen some people get rightly screwed for 1000's by rather large ISP's charging the earth for just forwarding a few email addresses to an office "server" and hosting a .ie plain 'ol html site.

Advertisement