Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community Open Day

Options
  • 06-09-2014 12:30pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of ways of getting fresh blood into the scene.

I would like to suggest a community open day. We hire out the XGC for a day and get at least 2 set ups of each popular games. So Smash, USF4, Marvel, TTT2, Blaz Blue and invite everyone to come, free entry. The event is payed for out of the community pot. Emphasis on casuals with maybe some small prizeless (f**k off Ladno!) side tournaments (perhaps for newcomers only) could be run. Perhaps a raffle could also be run for newcomers with a few games as prizes (I can throw in a copy of UMvC3 and KOF XIII on Xbox 360.)

Each game station would have a mentor/admin advising newcomers on basic mechanics and how the game plays. He could also enforce a queuing system of 5 games and your off (back of the queue or queue at another game station). Preferably the mentor/admin would be quite knowledgeable about the game he is admin-ing. A secondary admin would also be nice to allow the primary admin breaks etc. I'd volunteer to run one of the USF4 stations.

All fighting games are welcome its down to community members to bring set ups if they want a particular game played, like Killer Instinct, KOF XIII or Dive Kick etc.

Would also good to have a selection of pads and sticks that newcomers could try out at the event.

Emphasis is getting new blood on the scene. Would like to advertise such a event in the main gaming forum on boards if we could get permission, maybe even a sticky and naturally one in the fighting game forum. Other forms of advertising welcome.

Anyway that's my suggestion. I've spoken with a few community members and they seem to think its a good idea.

Feedback below + suggestions for a date to run the event on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Sounds great, I volunteer for a TTT2 station if there's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I nominate Keith for every anime game.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭C0unter

Sounds cool, I would be willing to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

Dota 2 station would be nice.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'll be there but I think Onion or someone else would be a better option for, ahem, schooling people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

You'r just scared I won't stop heckling you Doom!

Azza wrote: »
    You'r just scared I won't stop heckling you Doom!

I'm pretty sure that happens even regardless of whether I am within ear shot or not...

Very true......noob!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

This is a very good idea. I'd happily man the Smash station if it goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

I'll participate in 'teaching' Marvel laymen how the game goes

Lee can be the dum- err opponent

• Advertisement

Following your excellent display at NONCOM against Doom I had you penned down as admin for trolling.

Following your excellent display at NONCOM against Doom I had you penned down as admin for trolling.

You can always tell when I'm going 50/50 against Azza when the trolling steps up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

If it's on some time after Oct 17th then I'll be there :)

Willing to let people win if they can't handle top tier tiger divekicks

Can people start suggesting dates they would like this to be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Can people start suggesting dates they would like this to be on?

27th or 4th?

Advertisement