Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Ants HD IP Camera (Dropcam Clone) for less then €30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Looks interesting. I'm a big fan of Xiaomi products. Got the Mipad at xmas and I love it. I think my next phone will be Xiaomi too.

Could this be used outdoors I wonder, or is it strictly for indoor use?

Could use a camera at the front door to deter intruders

Me likey. Xiaomi seem to be the new kid on the block offering quality products at affordable prices so I'm going to have a long look at this mate. Cheers! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What are aliexpress like on deliver?

This scares me!

"Estimated Delivery Time: 15-60 days"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Me likey. Xiaomi seem to be the new kid on the block offering quality products at affordable prices so I'm going to have a long look at this mate. Cheers! :)

I got the Xiaomi MiBand and it is an excellent device for what is a very small price.

I also have some Xiaomi Piston Earphones on order as they again are highly rated but very cheap.

This Camera looks excellent with features like alerting, recording and 2 way sound and all in 720p HD for €30, to me you can't really go wrong there.

I don't think they are meant for outdoor use but if you put it someone out of the really bad elements then it could be ok.
    As the actual Black camera piece detaches and is pretty small you might be able to drill a hole just big enough to fit the back of the camera and leave just the front lense exposed to the outside?

Yeah I have the Miband too and it's very impressive...I like it a lot. AliExpress is a great marketplace too which I'm also a bit new to. I love the fact everything sent is registered and tracked.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    What are aliexpress like on deliver?

This scares me!

"Estimated Delivery Time: 15-60 days"

Same thing is a few € more expensive on Geekbuying if you are worried:
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Xiaoyi-Smart-CMOS-Camera-1280-x-720-Wireless-Control-Mini-Webcam-for--iOS-Andriod-Smartphone-PC---White-338687.html

I have ordered from Aliexpress before and it has taken between 2 - 6 weeks generally to get to me so probably the same as most Chinese sites...

The good thing about Aliexpress though is the money you pay for an item is kind of held in escrow so until you say you have received the item and all is good the person selling it does not get your cash and you can get refunded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Very nice.. what would potential customs and excise be on this?

Basq wrote: »
    Very nice.. what would potential customs and excise be on this?

About an additional €7 VAT and €7 AnPost Handling Fee! Rip-off really....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Looked at this at launch but was holding off for English interface and app.
    I'll likely order from http://www.ibuygou.com/p-xiaomi-small-ants-intelligent-camera-6255.html

Got some pistons from then last year. Legit and decent delivery.

I'll likely order from http://www.ibuygou.com/p-xiaomi-small-ants-intelligent-camera-6255.html

Is that the first version of the Pistons that are plastic and not aluminium?

How do you find the quality of the piston earphones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭cgc5483

these guys are also shipping from china right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

If only my Wi-Fi could reach as far as our barn :(

cgc5483 wrote: »
    these guys are also shipping from china right?

Yes. http://www.ibuygou.com/help/about-ibuygou.html
    Have used them a dozen times over last couple of years.

They do have EU warehouse for some products but Ireland not included.
    I did add the 'import tax insurance', will see if works if needed.

http://www.ibuygou.com/news/import-duty-insurance-487.html

The Pistons are good for the price. http://www.ibuygou.com/p-xiaomi-piston-earphone-2014-if-product-design-reward-commemorative-edition-5934.html
    Search headfi and Pistons on google. Just beware China is flooded with fake Xiaomi gear so ensure you buy from decent seller.

It's a pity that it doesn't swivel left or right along with forward and back. I would like a camera for an upstairs bedroom to look down on the street below. We've had a few incidents of cars parked out front being vandalised and even broken into. Problem is if I put it at the base of the window inside then its view is obfuscated by the protrusion of the window outside. It's a long standing problem I've never been able to solve alas.

PDF setup guide for those without an Xiaomi account yet.
    Same account as used for Mi band for those who have one.

reni10 wrote: »

But that site is based in China too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

MoodeRator wrote: »
    If only my Wi-Fi could reach as far as our barn :(

Homeplugs. As long as electrics are all on the same supply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

What use are these for?

PDF setup guide for those without an Xiaomi account yet.
    Same account as used for Mi band for those who have one.

Excellent, thanks. I was going to request if someone could do this, as I don't have any experience left on the site!

quarryman wrote: »
    But that site is based in China too...

I don't think you will get this item from anywhere bar China at the moment as it is pretty new.

If you want it faster just pay for DHL shipping and you will have it within a week but you will have to pay additional import duties etc. because of the high postage cost

• Advertisement

Xiaomishop ship from EU, I bought my Xiaomi Mipad from there at xmas, arrived in 2-3 days.

Can expect to pay more, but your guaranteed fast delivery and avoiding customs

They have the camera in stock:

http://www.xiaomishop.com/167-ants-xiaoyi-smart-camera.html

I don't think they are meant for outdoor use but if you put it someone out of the really bad elements then it could be ok.
    As the actual Black camera piece detaches and is pretty small you might be able to drill a hole just big enough to fit the back of the camera and leave just the front lense exposed to the outside?

Yes, not a bad idea.

I also seen weather proof cases available for dropcams to make them usable outdoors, so I may be able to fit one of those also.

Thanks

Xiaomishop ship from EU, I bought my Xiaomi Mipad from there at xmas, arrived in 2-3 days.

Can expect to pay more, but your guaranteed fast delivery and avoiding customs

They have the camera in stock:

http://www.xiaomishop.com/167-ants-xiaoyi-smart-camera.html

You are looking at about a week to receive and it would cost about €88 including postage to get it shipped from their EU warehouse.

Or you are probably looking at about 4 weeks and about €45 from Aliexpress if you get caught for customs and if if customs does not grab it then you are looking at €30 so I suppose shipping from EU warehouse is going to cost you at best double the price but at worst 3 time the price as shipping from China.

You are looking at about a week to receive and it would cost about €88 including postage to get it shipped from their EU warehouse.

Or you are probably looking at about 4 weeks and about €45 from Aliexpress if you get caught for customs and if if customs does not grab it then you are looking at €30 so I suppose shipping from EU warehouse is going to cost you at best double the price but at worst 3 time the price as shipping from China.

Yeah, buying from Aliexpress is by far the better option in my opinion too. I only bought the Mipad from Xiaomishop because I needed it in a few days. But I would be happy to wait a few weeks for this, and pay half the cost.

I just wanted to point out the option to buy from EU to quarryman who wasn't keen on buying from China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

No iPhone app I take it?

Yeah, buying from Aliexpress is by far the better option in my opinion too. I only bought the Mipad from Xiaomishop because I needed it in a few days. But I would be happy to wait a few weeks for this, and pay half the cost.

I just wanted to point out the option to buy from EU to quarryman who wasn't keen on buying from China

Thanks. I guess the reason it is cheap is because it's coming from China. The closer you find it the more it costs. I might go with aliexpress so and just wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Is that the first version of the Pistons that are plastic and not aluminium?

How do you find the quality of the piston earphones?

I got pistons from ibuygou only last week they are the version 2 and defo legit. Amazing sound quality for the price.My daughter has €100 beats in ears and thinks these are better.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    No iPhone app I take it?

There is but it is in Chinese:
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id931168730

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

wonder what night vision capabilities it has?

• Advertisement

wonder what night vision capabilities it has?

Don't think this has night vision so is probably only for daytime or well lit areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

califano wrote: »
    Homeplugs. As long as electrics are all on the same supply.

Thanks, but unfortunately barn is on separate feed. Also the house is old with 3 foot stone walls :(

Don't think this has night vision so is probably only for daytime or well lit areas.

Not much use a security camera in that case
    Has the DropCam got night vision?

I've used several Foscam and Belkin IP cams (and a number of clones).
    If they are indoor cams and you have it set up to record through a window you will get a reflection from the IR LEDs.
    A camera sensor that works in low light should work well with ambient/street lighting. I can use the Foscams inside with the IR off and see fine what his happening outside at night if pointed out the window.

The Ant is designed for indoor use. If you have it recording through a glass window and outside is well lit with street lights or security/floodlights it should be fine without IR. Iordered one yesterday as it's a fraction of the cost of competitors and worth a punt for a 720p wireless IP cam at that price. I expect delivery in 2-4 weeks from ibuygou and will post my opinion on it here when I have had a chance to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

There is but it is in Chinese:
    itunes.apple.com/app/id931168730

Has anybody had any success in installing it with an iOS device? I saw a pretty detailed guide for Android but if the iOS app is only in Chinese it would make it pretty complex i would think?

Sorry meant to also thanks the OP for spotting this. Was thinking of buying a Dropcam next time I go to the US (too expensive in Europe) but unsure how much/how seriously i'd use it. So this is a cheap way to experiment with the whole security cam/child/wife monitoring set up :-P

I wonder if you can remove it from the enclosure and set it up in a more "discrete" way

• Advertisement

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Sorry meant to also thanks the OP for spotting this. Was thinking of buying a Dropcam next time I go to the US (too expensive in Europe) but unsure how much/how seriously i'd use it. So this is a cheap way to experiment with the whole security cam/child/wife monitoring set up :-P

I wonder if you can remove it from the enclosure and set it up in a more "discrete" way

This should answer your questions
    http://en.miui.com/thread-54800-1-1.html

This really shouldn't be in bargain alerts anyways as these are always on sale at this price and many other models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gits_bone wrote: »
    This really shouldn't be in bargain alerts anyways as these are always on sale at this price and many other models.
    The OP is making someone aware of a high-quality and cheap IP camera.. at a fraction of a price you'd pay here for a similar product.

Why shouldn't it belong here?! :confused:

Basq wrote: »
    The OP is making someone aware of a high-quality and cheap IP camera.. at a fraction of a price you'd pay here for a similar product.

Why shouldn't it belong here?! :confused:

If you are to create threads for everything on aliexpress then you'd have 1000's.

A bargain is something you'd get cheaper than usual. An offer. Posting this thread makes it seem as if it's for a limited time so people will feel like they have to buy it.

You can get a 64gb usb stick for 8$.
    You can get a Man Utd jersey for 14 euro.
    etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

on second thoughts...nevermind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

For anyone interested, I ordered one of these from geekbuying.com & had it delivered via DHL, came to ~€40 and it showed up on Friday last without attracking any unwelcome attention from customs.

Up and running at home now, I can view the camera from work without any problems. Next step is to stick a microsd card in the thing & then see what else it can do with motion detection & the like.

opus wrote: »
    For anyone interested, I ordered one of these from geekbuying.com & had it delivered via DHL, came to ~€40 and it showed up on Friday last without attracking any unwelcome attention from customs.

Up and running at home now, I can view the camera from work without any problems. Next step is to stick a microsd card in the thing & then see what else it can do with motion detection & the like.

Any good at night time?

Mine still has not shown up via Singpost!

Can you post some more impressions etc. on build quality and video quality?

Any good at night time?

Nope :)
    Mine still has not shown up via Singpost!

Can you post some more impressions etc. on build quality and video quality?

For €30 it's pretty good I have to say. Have never had a webcam before so can't comment on how it compares to others wrt video quality. If the motion detection part can be made to work then it's certainly a useful gadget. Mind you having said that the app on my phone is refusing to connect to it at the moment although that could be anything I guess

Finally got this yesterday and the verdict is that the build quality and style etc. is excellent but the software is very disappointing!

This could be a great product if the software was created properly but it is very poor and has numerous issues.

Also it seems that on the firmware that mine shipped with there is no password on the rtsp stream so if you open up port 554 then anyone can access the full camera stream!

Then reports are that if you upgrade to the newest firmware it does put a username and password on the rtsp stream but no-one knows what the default password is or how to change it!

Also to setup the notification for movement you seem to need a use a different app!?!

In summary this is poor until they release significant updates to the software...

Bit of a further update on my playing around with the camera. After putting a microsd card in, it went off and updated its firmware automatically, no idea what difference this made apart from the fact that the rtsp is now protected with an unknown username & password.

Now with the card in there, what it does it start recording whenever it detects motion and you can view those saved recordings via the app on your phone. I was able to see myself making breakfast this morning for example :)

Haven't figured out yet how to get it to send a notification when it detects something, I believe you need to use the Smarthome app from Xiaomi but not clear how as that app is in Chinese. Posted on the thread where I got the apps from on en.miui.com but nothing concrete as yet.

no idea what difference this made apart from the fact that the rtsp is now protected with an unknown username & password.

Can you try root:pass as the default rtsp username:password and let me know if that works?

Can you try root:pass as the default rtsp username:password and let me know if that works?

Didn't work for me unfortunately. Haven't made any progress on the alerts, that's the only missing piece of the puzzle now as looks like it correctly detects motion and starts recording (as long as it's bright of course!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

This is another Xiaomi product that is getting good reviews and seems to have all the features of a Dropcam HD IP Camera (currently €180) and a few more added features too for only about €30 with free postage:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Smart-cctv-Camera-Xiaomi-xiaomi-Small-ants-smart-webcam-camcorder-for-smart-home-life/32252934882.html

English version of the Android smartphone app and setup guide at:
    http://en.miui.com/thread-73032-1-1.html
    http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=65175&extra=&highlight=ants&page=1

Chinese version of App only on iOS:
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id931168730

Couple of nice features on this including a standard micro usb power cable, record directly to SD Card in the device and the mobile apps send notifications when they pick up movement in a certain area etc.:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv1qUPiZZR4

I just bought one and should be here in a few weeks so will report back here with my findings...

The full 1080p hd version is now available here for 30euro.

Is this a genuine device that's also compatible with the app above?

Received mine today. Was ordered from ibuygou.com on 7 Feb and sent via Post NL. No problems with customs/duty.
    Will let u how I get on setting it up in my iOS-only household (expect hrs of frustration).

• Advertisement
Advertisement