Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Psycho among finest novels of this era - Irvine Welsh

Comments

It's a great book. IF you can stomach much of it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway, can see why it wouldn't be to some peoples taste though!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I was someone who literally couldn't stomach it. Only novel I've ever read that actually made me vomit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I was someone who literally couldn't stomach it. Only novel I've ever read that actually made me vomit.

Wow, really?

I guess that shows how powerful the writing is. I felt a bit uncomfortable with parts of it myself but it was a bit easier when I
    thought it was all happening inside his head. After he kills a homeless man, there's a police chase where a car explodes easily and it seemed a bit too surreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Read it several times, loved every page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Aenaes wrote: »
    Wow, really?

I guess that shows how powerful the writing is. I felt a bit uncomfortable with parts of it myself but it was a bit easier when I
    thought it was all happening inside his head. After he kills a homeless man, there's a police chase where a car explodes easily and it seemed a bit too surreal.
    Yeah I didn't get that when I read it, it was only afterwards when I discussed it with other people, and the penny dropped. I really can't see myself re-reading it though, it's 10 years (or more) since I read it and I can remember those scenes in detail - it is a testament to the writing, definitely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Aenaes wrote: »
    Wow, really?

Sure but
    not all of it was happening in his head, from what I remember there were some gruesome scenes of him in his apt, with prostitutes ? like really extreme over the top stuff that just couldn't possibly have been put into the film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Read it several times, loved every page.

Even the chapter about Huey Lewis and the News?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Incredible book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Ahahaha, I had forgotten about that. I remember looking at the book with pure incredulity. Thanks for reminding me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Probably one of the better bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

Loved the book including the chapter on Huey Lewis and The News:) Have read it a few times over the years including most recently last year as a matter of fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

porsche959 wrote: »
    Although the descriptions of fashion, music and consumer electronics have obviously dated ...
    They are descriptions of the scenes/setting. I'm not sure how you can call any of those things dated. Just as you couldn't call novel set during WW2 dated for being full of 1940s references.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Re. Huey Lewis and The News & Anerican Psycho, worth a read and a look at the video contained within the article (for sh!ts & giggles)

http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id/104549

The book is a firm favourite, as is the cinematic adaptation - both for very different reasons. I return to both at least once every other year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

The write-up of Genesis's career was heavy going right enough. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I hated it so passionately, yet I was compelled to finish it. I can recognise that it is a pretty powerful piece of work to elicit such a dramatic response.

Advertisement