Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any disillusioned working teachers recover?

• 13-11-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭

Having been teaching FE for 10 years this year I find myself thoroughly disillusioned and stressed to my eyeballs. I used to love it but students are getting progressively more 'handicapped' (for want of a better phrase) and Im exhausted from dealing with their ridiculous issues, inability to take responsibility, sense of entitlement etc etc. Teaching is getting less and less part of my daily task list. I feel like the job is lowering my IQ yearly!

Has anyone else got to this point? Recovered? Moved on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

inability to take responsibility, sense of entitlement etc etc
    Unfortunatly this is most Irish people since the start of the Celtic Tiger, and shock horror their children have started to follow in their footprints

• Registered Users Posts: 14 carlie16

I agree wholeheartedly. I teach both mainstream and FE and the situation gets worse each year. Students really expect too much and take very little responsibility for the role they themselves should be playing in their education.

The DES are now putting an emphasis on student self-evaluation to address this issue. I have been trying to implement student self-evaluation measures in the classroom for a while now with mixed results.

The real problem here is the sheer laziness (dare I say!!) of students these days. They have been mollycoddled from primary level up and expect everything to be done for them. This new proposed JCSA will also add to the problem.

Not ready to throw in the towel yet though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭pandoraj09

Totally disillusioned too here...been teaching for 25 yrs +. It gets worse....sick to death of all the stress. Going to investigate my options for retiring. No way can I continue with this stress...last week I had 2 12 hour days...then 8.45 the next morning I'm in front of a class....maybe its ok for younger teachers...I can't deal with it anymore....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

A friend of mine was 20 plus years in a difficult school. Went on career break. Did some subbing while on career break and is now full time in the new school. Great teacher before, but now in a completely different school he is delighted and relishing the different challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Retraining. May keep on some of the more interesting part time work, but next June, I'm outta here. For all the obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭amacca

endacl wrote: »
    Retraining. May keep on some of the more interesting part time work, but next June, I'm outta here. For all the obvious reasons.

If its not too nosey, may I ask as what?

If it is thats cool, just looking for some inspiration for alternative directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Do please excuse my ignorance OP but what's FE? Some of you guys sound very stressed out which is a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

acequion wrote: »
    Do please excuse my ignorance OP but what's FE? Some of you guys sound very stressed out which is a shame.

Further Education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

"Having been teaching FE for 10 years this year I find myself thoroughly disillusioned and stressed to my eyeballs"
    I ve been in FE for the past 15 yrs. before that I spent some years in a london secondary school. I ve been deeply stressed many times in both roles. My perosnal bugbear is FETAc paperwork and systems , and the sense in FE that there always a new change coming at you. I know that ive approached burnout a couple of times.http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/adult-health/in-depth/burnout/art-20046642

however i still get a buzz out of much of my work. I have learned a few things. Only i can protect myself. its up to me to make boundaries for myself. Co dependence is a problem for many of us in the caring professions. Supervision / talk space / me time with a professional is helpful and practical. When i cant change the world all I can change is me.
    Its horrible what your going through. self protection is the way to go .
    stress can be managed . its not easy but but if you don't it can really hurt you .good luck ,

Advertisement