Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia College PME VS. NUIG PME

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Hi guys,
    I'm thinking of applying for March 2015 intake? Has anyone any advice on how to prep for interview or what questions are generally asked? Also people who are qualified, is it as tough to get a permanent position as people say or is the tide changing? I'm very worried that I could do the course and spend the next 7-10 years subbing as someone keeps telling me :(

You might be lucky, you might not. We actually did some number crunching among friends on staff this summer and half of our staff (school of >700) are on part time hours, from 2/3 up to 17.8. This appears to be replicated in lots of school. As you can imagine it means that even though you may not end up on the subbing circuit for 7-10 years, equally you may not half a full time position and would still be floating on 'hours' for years. The thing you have to remember is that even in the boom years it was taking an average of 7 years for a full time position in teaching. Things are much worse now but there are always exceptions!

Have a read of the haddington road recommendations though, there are some changes in there which may improve things a lot!

Go in with your eyes open, work your ass off so you have excellent grades, particularly in teaching practice. Be prepared to upskill in other areas. Hone your extra curricular skills and you will have done all you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 just little me

Hi southcounty,
    If you want to be a teacher, then get your qualification and don't listen to the negative people. They will always be there. I'm confident of getting a job when I finish as I won't let up and will keep trying.

About Hibernia though, have you an option to do it with another college? If so, i would do it with anyone rather than Hibernia I'm hugely sorry to say.

I started the PME Sept 2014 so just in the door and the disorganisation Pinkycharm speaks of has been notched up a few gears. This is the first cohort of the masters so they are most likely still finding their feet, but so are the rest of the colleges and they aren't making such a shambles as Hibernia. The biggest problem is the onsite locations - they tell you before you apply that you will be in Maynooth once and your regional locations thereafter. Unfortunately this is not the case I am sorry to say. We have been in Maynooth since the start and are now being broken up into locations such as Athlone, Dublin, Navan for the languages people when the majority of the cohort are from Munster!!!! It's crazy. There is huge unrest amongst the students of this cohort and there have been numerous emails sent to the course directors AND the president of Hibernia (that's how serious people feel - the majority feel like they have been mis-sold the course).

Again, I apologise about the content but i feel that you have to know so that you can fairly ask Hibernia about all of this. There is no point going in with your eyes closed.

There were 2 mini interviews of 20 mins each - 1 general about ICT, classroom management is a big thing, the new JC and the changes, what you think about continuous assessment vs exams, etc. The other interview is a subject specific interview for 20 mins too - 10 mins for each of your subjects. They ask about integrating ICT and ask you a question or 2 about your subjects. The interviews are absolutely grand. I did a lot of prep for mine so felt confident and it paid off but I know of people who had v bad interviews with no prep and they also got in. At the end of the day, it's €12,400 for Hibernia so they would not turn many down at all.

Best of Luck southcounty.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    If teaching is what you want to do apply!! :D straight after I graduated I got a maternity leave and havent left the school since- that's 3 years ago now nearly so there is hope but I will say subbing gave me an incredible experience portfolio. I know everyone kind of has to start off subbing around but you will get there and will learn so much along the way. Hopefully with these new schools and the demand for new teachers you will be okay. What are your subjects?

My interview was really simple but things have obviously changed now. AFL and AOL are huge contenders in the interview, the new proposed JC and of course the syllabus of your subjects! They may ask you to give an example of how you would teach something and ICT is a big thing too! I was in Hibernias first group ever for PP. It was fairly disorganised then but the new cohorts seem to be having a way better experience. You can be left on your own for a lot of it especially research.

If you are even thinking of applying look for a school to take you for teaching practice or get your name in a school for Jan 16 onwards. It is extremely hard to find placement because UL and NUIG are out at the same time as hibernia.

Lastly, hibernia produces some fantastic teachers and I've learned a lot more from the new hibernia students and teachers in my school now!

Go for it!! :D

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice and tips, its a relief to hear that people are optimistic but also realistic about Hibernia (thanks mirror wall and just little me) so I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I've decided to give the interview a shot anyway and if its meant to be it will. I think I would love teaching so why not go for it. I'll let ye know how it goes.

Cheers again guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice and tips, its a relief to hear that people are optimistic but also realistic about Hibernia (thanks mirror wall and just little me) so I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I've decided to give the interview a shot anyway and if its meant to be it will. I think I would love teaching so why not go for it. I'll let ye know how it goes.

Cheers again guys :)

When you say you think you would love teaching, have you done placement in a school? Do not sign yourself up to an expensive course without going to your local schools and asking could you observe. There have been major changes in teaching in the last 10 years. The jobs situation is rubbish so be sure you want it and have your research done before you go in!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

When you say you think you would love teaching, have you done placement in a school? Do not sign yourself up to an expensive course without going to your local schools and asking could you observe. There have been major changes in teaching in the last 10 years. The jobs situation is rubbish so be sure you want it and have your research done before you go in!

I have done quite a bit of observation and talking to teachers in my local school so Im going in with my eyes open. Thanks again for the advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Many of the optimists are still in training, but as long as you go in with your eyes open, be as optimistic as you like.

Ask can they give figures on the employment rate (more than 11 hours per week) for graduates.

Advertisement