Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Debs dress made?

Options
  • 10-07-2011 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi guys :)

I'm only going into Sixth Year now so no rush on this, but figured with all the Debsy talk going on, if anyone knows they'll probably be around now!

So I was considering getting my Debs dress custom made, rather than buying it, but I know next to nothing about this. I was wondering if anyone knows any of these things:

- How do I find someone to do it for me?
    - Any idea of rough cost? Any kind of estimate at all?
    - How long would it take?
    - Would I need to have dress patterns or could they make it from a description/sketches? (I don't know how to draw up dress patterns but I can picture my perfect dress...)
    - If I need patterns, where do I even get them from?

Any help whatsoever is very greatly appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I got my debs dress made (many years ago!). You can get dress patterns in places like Hickeys, loads of different designs to choose from!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

newbee22 wrote: »
    I got my debs dress made (many years ago!). You can get dress patterns in places like Hickeys, loads of different designs to choose from!

Awesome, must go in there and have a look. :)

How did you find someone to make it? Did you know them already or is there somewhere I can ask that would know people?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭kingelmo

I bought my Debs Dress in Limerick but for my sisters wedding she got the bridesmaid dresses made.. she saw a lovely colour and material in Debemhams in Cork, went in and got the material off them and went to a dress maker to make them. They turned out lovely ill post a picture later if you want me too..

I dont think they take long to do maybe 3 weeks max but at all depends on who you go too. We didnt know the lady that done ours but she didnt take long. We went to get measured twice and that was about it, she had the dresses done in about 3 weeks (4 dresses=4 bridesmaids)

But they were lovely, wish i could still fit into mine ha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rosey cork

I just got my new debs dress from an irish online retailor. It's got unreal stuff and there wasnt any surprise import duty stuff my friends had cause they're Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

^^What was the retailer?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

if you're not adverse to it, I would advise you check out dresses in stores. My cousin got hers custom made last year and it ended up costing more than my dress did even though I got mine from the US.

Even if you don't like anything, at least you have an idea of shapes, colours, fabrics and styles that suit you.

Advertisement