Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean Moncrieff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Sean is back today. What a relief. Phew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

did anyone hear who was doing the review today?? she had the most annoying voice on the radio, and but for the fact that the radio was the other side of the room, and i'm an incredibly lazy person, i would've smashed it into pieces.
    it was like listening to one of ross o'carroll-kelly's girlfriends, everything was like, oh my God, amazing like, and ended with the most annoying AQI, that like, i've ever heard?
    AAARRRRGGGHHH!
    one of the real reasons i like about newstalk is the normal accents, not the ones acquired to look, like amazingly cool and stuff. everyone in rte has to pronounce it as 'AR T E' which is just stoopid. there's better things to spend money on than stopping people saying 'OR T E'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

did anyone hear who was doing the review today?? she had the most annoying voice on the radio, and but for the fact that the radio was the other side of the room, and i'm an incredibly lazy person, i would've smashed it into pieces.
    it was like listening to one of ross o'carroll-kelly's girlfriends, everything was like, oh my God, amazing like, and ended with the most annoying AQI, that like, i've ever heard?
    AAARRRRGGGHHH!
    one of the real reasons i like about newstalk is the normal accents, not the ones acquired to look, like amazingly cool and stuff. everyone in rte has to pronounce it as 'AR T E' which is just stoopid. there's better things to spend money on than stopping people saying 'OR T E'
    I didn't hear her thank god I can't stand that crap where every second word is like.I did hear Henry he was in Moore street with the street traders and he was very funny he was selling Jedward t-shirts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

casio4 wrote: »
    I didn't hear her thank god I can't stand that crap where every second word is like.I did hear Henry he was in Moore street with the street traders and he was very funny he was selling Jedward t-shirts

Yeah heard it ..but missed the name of the uber confidant bint that was doing it

Told Moncreiffe to "move aside" at one stage as she couldnt see him behind the mic. !

Great D4 occent though...absolutely brilliant ....full of "likes" and "kindas" and a great one "Monging" as in

"Here's a great video if your,like,monging out on the couch for an afternoon" !

Absolutely brilliant...can we have more of her, like,....please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

It was Una Mullaly, there's not much more tedious than media types telling each other how life-defining 'The Wire' is :rolleyes:

parasite wrote: »
    It was Una Mullaly, there's not much more tedious than media types telling each other how life-defining 'The Wire' is :rolleyes:

Uh...thanks para...she must be very disappointed with that name...not very D4 is it?

Thought when I heard her ,,she had to be a Tara or an Emma with a sharp bob hairstyle and the requisite black or navy suit - sun glasses permanently on face or head and driving hubbies SUV.

Am I anywhere close in that little pen picture ??

Uh...thanks para...she must be very disappointed with that name...not very D4 is it?

Thought when I heard her ,,she had to be a Tara or an Emma with a sharp bob hairstyle and the requisite black or navy suit - sun glasses permanently on face or head and driving (now that the tiger is crawling away) ex-hubbies SUV.

Am I anywhere close in that little pen picture ??

fixed that. post of the day though!!

fixed that. post of the day though!!

heh heh thanks dude...I, like..Googled her.....TOTALLY not like I imagined,I mean REALLY retroish an a bit kinda funky...not a bad looker dude..I'd, like, pop a cap in her you know if I had drained a few Hoinos....like

dammit. i googled her too after you did. see how long it's taken me to get back to this?? see?? it's all because i did what you did. oh yeah, but if you jumped off a cliff....
    did you mean funky as in 'this cheese is smelling a bit funky, where's the bin?'

actually, i have to say the names people text in with are legendary. the earl of rochester (i used to work there, it's a hole of the highest order!), sniffles mcgonigle and the others, quality names!!

• Advertisement

dammit. i googled her too after you did. see how long it's taken me to get back to this?? see?? it's all because i did what you did. oh yeah, but if you jumped off a cliff....
    did you mean funky as in 'this cheese is smelling a bit funky, where's the bin?'

actually, i have to say the names people text in with are legendary. the earl of rochester (i used to work there, it's a hole of the highest order!), sniffles mcgonigle and the others, quality names!!
    One of Seans favourite texters is 'Pope Marmalade the 3rd' he goes through a phase of texting the show alot and then they don't hear from him for ages sean suspects he goes in and out of the nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

parasite wrote: »
    The Wire is good though!
    One of Seans favourite texters is 'Pope Marmalade the 3rd' he goes through a phase of texting the show alot and then they don't hear from him for ages sean suspects he goes in and out of the nick

Remember Gus? He used to text in every day just saying "star wars"

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭dixierip

Moncrieff show is very enjoyable. A nice mix of interesting segment combined with good humour. Great day time radio and doesn't take himself too seriously.

Quint wrote: »
    Remember Gus? He used to text in every day just saying "star wars"

sean's just read out a message from gus, who says he's gone back to his old ways to put rashers on the table for the kids. so watch yizzer pockets and wallets everyone!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I like the bloke..he may look like a penis wearing a condom but he's affable and self-effacing unlike droopy-face G ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

can he go 10 seconds without going, eh, eh.?
    caller: hi sean, hows it going ?
    sean: eh, eh, not chew badge, eh, eh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Oh I LOVE Sean Moncrieff! I love that he has his own thread!
    The show is so random and is great afternoon radio.
    I always refer to him as "My best friend Sean Moncrieff" because I listen to him so much, and you start to learn loads about his life. I'm from Howth too so would see him around. Saw him at a charity thing last month and my dad (who's an avid listener too) told him about my stalking ways... couldn't look at him for the night!!!

MJ23 wrote: »
    can he go 10 seconds without going, eh, eh.?
    caller: hi sean, hows it going ?
    sean: eh, eh, not chew badge, eh, eh
    sean might say eh alot but it's part of his personality when he says it he is genuinely thinking of something in his head where as the RTE crime reporter Paul Reynolds who has a top job in RTE and is on the news every second day because of the levels of crime in this country says eh after every 8 words and when he does it it's pure habit watch him the next time he's on the news or listen to him on the news bulletins on radio.

Eh, eh, not chew badge, eh, eh, eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

<3 him.

<3 him.

<3 him.

His show brightens up my working day Mon-Fri:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Anyone listen to the show today? Had a spokesman for Exit International on the show, talking about the issue of euthanasia. Really touching and thought-provoking stuff, and I thought Moncrieff handled it brilliantly.It was good to hear a subject being discussed that is always kept out of the mainstream media.I think presenters in RTE should be made listen to that interview! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Ryan Tubridy covered that topic with the same guest a few months back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Was our own Darragh on Moncrieff today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Yeah, he was on for the 1st 1/2 hour of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Here's a suggestion for Sean / Daragh:

Why not ask people here what items they would like to see hear covered on the show:

I would love to hear a detailed piece on Shackleton, Tom Crean and the Endurance. It's an amazing story when told in full.
    I also used to really enjoy Prof. Terry Dolan when he was on. Instead of repeats at the weekends could they replay or podcast some of the professors pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Why can we not get a full podcast of the show like on 2fm?

Today fm are at the same carry on of handing out little snippets.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

hey lads, anyone know or remember the the guy who was on tuesday the 7th of september talking about the taliban? Really interesting stuff and he's bound to have a few books out, or failing that anyone know of any good books on the subject?

you could email newstalk and they will tell you who he was

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Ya could do that alright, i'm kinda looking for an audiobook to download now though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I heard the interview, but can't remember the name. Ahmed Rashid has written a series of books on the Taliban, might be a good place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

he's a genuine wit.

i haven't thought of the Don't feed the gondolas in years.
    Some good bits in this.

• Advertisement

Caller : Hey Sean hows it going ?
    Sean : eh, eh, ehhhh, not chew badge eh, eh eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Sean Moncrieff
    is a legend....

Long live newstalk...

MJ23 wrote: »
    Caller : Hey Sean hows it going ?
    Sean : eh, eh, ehhhh, not chew badge eh, eh eh

ok, we get it, this gets to you a fair bit so you feel the need to post it over and over and over. once is enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Was there any truth to that rumour that he might be going to RTE?

He's quite simply the best show on radio. Always interesting, plenty of fun, does his research on every topic he covers and keeps bringing on new, wacky interesting subjects.

Brilliant man.

It would be a shame to see him swallowed up in the RTE machine. Playing second fiddle to the likes of Tubridy and O'connor when he would easily wipe the floor with all of them.
    If I were the boss of TV3, I'd give him a Fri night talk show,head to head with the Late late. No celebrity bullsh1t, just him talking to ordinary punters who are doing anything remotely interesting.
    He will get the best out of every interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I love the show. Pity some of it clashes with the car crash that is liveline. Although, when there's no good arguing on Joe, I listen to moncrieff.

He obviously does a bit of research on important issues, has a bit of common sense and is knowledgable about plenty of stuff. Unlike most RTE talk show hosts. Tubbers and Kenny aren't fit to lace Seans boots

Poly wrote: »
    It would be a shame to see him swallowed up in the RTE machine. Playing second fiddle to the likes of Tubridy and O'connor when he would easily wipe the floor with all of them.
    If I were the boss of TV3, I'd give him a Fri night talk show,head to head with the Late late. No celebrity bullsh1t, just him talking to ordinary punters who are doing anything remotely interesting.
    He will get the best out of every interview.
    I couldn't agree with you more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I couldn't agree with you more

And I couldn't agree with you more.

Moncrieff fills the gap between the serious lunchtime NAMA news and the serious teatime NAMA news without feeling the need to bring his listeners on nature walks or inflict us with the latest hit after hit after frigging hit.

I hope Moncrieff stays where he is.
    Moving to RTE might mean extra shillings in his pocket.
    But such a move would also mean a loss of credibility amongst his fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

bluefinger wrote: »
    he's a genuine wit.

i haven't thought of the Don't feed the gondolas in years.
    Some good bits in this.

Holy F*ck! Moncrieff with hair???? :eek: When did he stop looking like yer man off that 70's show? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

He's excellent. I've been a fan of Sean since "The End" back in 1994-1996. Definitely my favourite show on Newstalk. :)

Absolutely brilliant show today, all the guests were top class, especially enjoyed the guy with tourettes and of course movies and booze.
    Best broadcaster in the biz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Aglomerado wrote: »
    He's excellent. I've been a fan of Sean since "The End" back in 1994-1996. Definitely my favourite show on Newstalk. :)

yeah good show that - remember Septic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Morrigin

I won tickets to the Movies and Booze show last week - it was absolutely brilliant - and it's not everyday you get to have a smoke with Sean Moncrieff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

so Sean has just tweeted..

"Will also be making an announcement about the future of the programme at some point today..."

Anyone know what that's about?? Is he on the move as well? Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 12 macai

yeah good show that - remember Septic :D

Is he possibly moving to mornings to go up against tubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

Nope, he's just announced that the show will now start at 13:30 so it'll be a 3 hour long show.

I wonder are they planning on scrapping lunchtime completely and increasing Tom Dunne 'til 13:30?!

Making the most of their most valuable asset. Good move imo.

Diarmud Gavin, the celebrity garden designer economist is on.
    Could we have more tears?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I've always loved his show but one thing annoys me about it.

Listening to the late night (here's a slice of Moncrief from yesterday) repeat at the moment,
    it feels like I'm listening to an Irish presenter on a British radio station.

His last 3 interviewees were all British and each of them have a book to flog.
    Most of the guests he interviews seem to be people with British or American accents plugging their books or websites.

Nothing against the Brits and Yanks by the way, but for a nation of writers and assorted headcases,
    surely there are plenty Irish people he could talk to.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Lapin wrote: »
    I've always loved his show but one thing annoys me about it.

Listening to the late night (here's a slice of Moncrief from yesterday) repeat at the moment,
    it feels like I'm listening to an Irish presenter on a British radio station.

His last 3 interviewees were all British and each of them have a book to flog.
    Most of the guests he interviews seem to be people with British or American accents plugging their books or websites.

Nothing against the Brits and Yanks by the way, but for a nation of writers and assorted headcases,
    surely there are plenty Irish people he could talk to.:confused:

Love the show. But can be a bit like listening to 5Live at times.

Having said that, I think Moncreiff's genius is that he can bridge the Irish/English divide: he can chime with his English contributors, while at the same time tickling their pomposity - taking the p**s out of them - , but in a nice way, and usually to the enjoyment of both parties.

However, the best bits are home-grown: Moozies and Booves, Paolo and the best way to cook spaghetti(again), Kelleher's obits, Annette's laugh, ColeMAN telling Irish women how to rear children.... and all the random text stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement